|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> 2008 Jeep Liberty

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
vbugles

Woodbury, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/08 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted to let everyone know the changes Jeep has made to make towing a Liberty less attractive. I was looking to replace my 2003 Liberty and was leaning toward a Ford Edge but the local Jeep dealer made offers I could not refuse. the 2008 Liberty rides better and has many new toys and I just love riding in it compared to the 2003. The Edge however was in a class by itself and although much more expensive than the Jeep I wish I had paid the bucks and would have been much happier. The Edge only needs to be placed in four wheel drive neutral, one click on the key and off you go, just like the 2003 Liberty. The 2008 Liberty however is an all new unfriendly situation. I blame myself for not reading the owners manual like I did with all my other choices, I guess Jeep being the leader in towing vehicles I could trust them. Poor me. Jeep has a new electronic system for placing the vehicle in four whell drive and It is very nice. The procedure for towing four down has changed and they won't tell me why. first you put the Jeep in neutral then using a point such as a ball point pen you depress a little button and in four seconds you drive shaft is disengaged. Wonderful. then you turn the key to one click and then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, what disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Now where do I get power fot the Break Buddy? The remote unlock device is now part of the ignition key not separate so in 15 MPH when the doors lock you will need a second key to enter the Jeep, Oh then you have to recconect the battery and reset the radio and clock, everytime. I use to laugh at my fellow campers when they had to pull a fuse or other little things to make flat towing possible. Well I guess the old saying " He who laughs last laughs best" is true. 72 payments and I'll never buy another Jeep again. READ THE OWNERS MANUAL TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED 67 years old and still stupid. SHAME ON ME

* This post was edited 11/17/08 10:08am by an administrator/moderator *

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/08 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of us with the '08 do not disconnect the battery. Many have contacted Jeep and no one has got a good reason to disconnect except for "safety" reasons. Someone will tell you that if you don't it will drain the battery, I haven't had that problem and can't see how it would. I talked to a tech at the local Jeep dealer and he couldn't come up with a reason and said that Jeep requires them to disconnect the battery before doing almost anything on the vehicle.
The power port can be converted to be hot all the time, not just when the switch is on.
I would suggest doing a search on this forum for '08 Liberty and read all the posts. You may find it interesting.
The drill to to put it in neutral is kind of Mickey Mouse but no big deal once you get used to it. I think the reason they designed it like they did was to make sure it doesn't go into neutral at a bad time.
I to liked the Edge but it would have been another $8 - $10k.

Vapor_Trails

Yucaipa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/08 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't this be in the "Toad" forum?

06 Fleetwood Providence 39s
06 F150 Screw, 6.5' Bed, 4x4, 5.4, 3.73
01 VFR800fi
A day without fusion is like a day without sunshine.

vbugles

Woodbury, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/08 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked to Chrysler and they were also not able to say what exactly would happen if you didn't disconnect exept the waranty would be voided. Thank you for your help. As for the toad forum I tried to get it in there and ended up with a new category. I'm new to this forum stuff and not a "senior member" if you know how to move it I would be greatful.

VB

rj_winger

Anywhere our RV takes us

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/08 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just trading in my 2006 Honda CR-V 4 x 4 and loved it, but I could not carry any weight without bottoming out the rear springs. Anyway I bought a 2008 Libery Sport 4 x 4 and ready like it so far. I've got it all set-up for towing and will be towing it for the first time next week for only a couple hundred miles. If I was to follow the manual to the letter but not to disconnect the battery and also turn the key off and remove it will I have any problems? I also will be using a Brake Buddy but I'm going to wiring in the plug socket that Brake Buddy supplied me.

Thanks for your help.
RJ

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/08 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way you are planning on towing it is the way I do it, right or wrong. You know you can change the power port to always hot and not have to do the Brake Buddy wiring.

The other RJ

rj_winger

Anywhere our RV takes us

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/08 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

The way you are planning on towing it is the way I do it, right or wrong. You know you can change the power port to always hot and not have to do the Brake Buddy wiring.
RJ

Is the Power Port the acc plug (cig-lighter plug) on the right side of the center column? If I remember correctly you changed a fuse location.

Thanks
RJ

W8RLM

Solon, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/08 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 08 Liberty. When I went from Cleveland, Ohio to Forest City, Iowa, I didn't disconnect the battery negative. In two days, the battery was dead. I bought a battery disconnect from NAPA. That made the process easy. As far as the Brake Buddy is concerned, if you disconnect the negative side of the battery, the 12 volt plug will be dead. Mine is an automatic transmission. There is a plug in the firewall on the left side of the vehicle. One guy told me that the plug was for the clutch linkage. I will run a power line from the battery through that rubber plug to another 12 volt recepticle mounted under the dash. That will power the Brake Buddy. It is an easy job. By the way, when the battery is disconnected, only the clock setting is lost. The radio presets - even Sirius presets are maintained.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob

rj_winger

Anywhere our RV takes us

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/08 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

W8RLM wrote:

I have an 08 Liberty. When I went from Cleveland, Ohio to Forest City, Iowa, I didn't disconnect the battery negative. In two days, the battery was dead. I bought a battery disconnect from NAPA. That made the process easy. As far as the Brake Buddy is concerned, if you disconnect the negative side of the battery, the 12 volt plug will be dead. Mine is an automatic transmission. There is a plug in the firewall on the left side of the vehicle. One guy told me that the plug was for the clutch linkage. I will run a power line from the battery through that rubber plug to another 12 volt recepticle mounted under the dash. That will power the Brake Buddy. It is an easy job. By the way, when the battery is disconnected, only the clock setting is lost. The radio presets - even Sirius presets are maintained.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob

Bob:

Did you leave your key in and turned to ACC? Have you tried towing with the key removed?

Rod

vbugles

Woodbury, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/08 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the differece of diconnecting the negative or the positive??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> 2008 Jeep Liberty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS