|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Firearms & the Class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
buehl

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will be leaving on a trip from PA to FL in a couple weeks. Mainly sticking to Rt95. What are the laws regarding transporting firearms in a class A? Mainly concerned with the southern states.

thanks

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They cannot be within your reach while driving.

pfunk

Shelby Township, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id check the state laws on transporting in each state you plan to go through

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
300 Cat 6spd Ally

just_dave

Bay City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think keeping them unloaded and separate from ammunition is always a good idea as well. - Dave

2001 2500HD 6.0L 4.10 4x4
1999 Jayco Eagle 285BHS 5er Thank you Lord!
Draw-Tite 16K with Kwik-Slide
Prodigy
Bilsteins (on the truck)
Monroes (on the 5er)
Perception Swifty 9.5 Kayaks
Pelican Break Kayak
Swagman XTC-4 Bike Carrier

gswcgi

Wandering

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/08 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to go on-line and check with each state that you are going to travel through or stay in. Plus the Federal laws have some impact on moving firearms between states. No simple answer even if you have a concealed carry permit for some states. It is not true that all states prohibit carrying a loaded weapon in your vehicle. As an example, Nevada allows loaded weapons to be carried in a vehicle. I am not an expert on the subject nor an Attorney but I do have concealed weapon permits for many states that have reciprocity with my home state of Nevada and Utah. Check the states you are going through.

'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Bill & Cathy

Upper Lake, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you plan to go through each state blasting away, it probably won't make much difference. We always travel armed -- guns and ammo kept separately, and guns are, of course, never loaded while we're traveling (duh). If we're in an area that gives us the willies, we keep the guns more accessible. Generally, they're locked away in the safe. We also invested in a booklet regarding the firearm laws in the 50 states (a Google search might find that for you). And though each state differes, common sense still applies.

I've never heard of any RV being stopped by the local fuzz for a firearms search. Treat your firearms with respect, treat the law with respect, keep to the speed limit, don't drive like a lunatic, and nobody will think twice about whether you're armed or not.

Bill/Cathy
Good Sam Life Members, FMCA #F323639, Safari International, Thousand Trails, Safari So Good Club, Safari R Us Club
'02 Safari Zanzibar, 40' DP, 2 Slides, center entry, '03 Suzuki XL7

magicbus

LBI, NJ or Nantucket, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buehl wrote:

Mainly concerned with the southern states.
They are required to be on a rack in the rear window.

Dave

Our new RV... the journey continues.

Admiral

Upstate Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you with a CCW permit, here's a link where you can build and print a map showing which states have reciprocity to your home state and will allow you to carry your gun in the same manner. Wisconsin and Illinois do not permit carrying concealed weapons at all.
Build a reciprocity map

2004 Damon Daybreak 2960F V-10
05 Honda Element LX

Compassion should be voluntary, not mandatory.

George Beggs

Homosassa, FL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/08 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a concealed carry permit that is honored in most states. When I have my gun in the motorhome it is loaded and not on a rack in the back window. The NRA has a lot of information on gun laws.

George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

b ubblerboy64

946 Ashton Shippensburg Pa 17257

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/08 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You also have to consider that some cities have laws which are contrary to the states in which they are located. Unless you are hunting and carrying the guns for that purpose the idea of carrying an unloaded gun for self defense seems like a rather unreasonable plan in my opinion. If you have time to get the gun, go to a different location to load it you are in an unusual self defense situation. I don't have an answer for this one. It seems to me that your choice is to break the law(s) or to leave the guns at home. I would hope that most reasonable police would look at the mobile home as a home and if self defense was required they would ignore the "fine print" on these laws. God help the person who uses the gun and fines himself trying to defend an unnecessary shooting. I don't want to start a gun rights debate but it would seem which ever side of the fence you find yourself it would at least seem reasonable to have more uniform laws and enforcement. In the end it's up to the individual to accept the risk either being unarmed or armed and breaking the laws. I tend to think the better choice is to go with out the gun but I must admit that I feel some what vulnerable. I guess I feel the risk of getting caught are greater then the risks of needing to defend myself. While in Pa and legal I carry a LOADED gun in a readly available location. I have a permit to do so.

John Heckman

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Firearms & the Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS