RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where is your class c backup camera monitor installed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Where is your class c backup camera monitor installed?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cloots6

Vacaville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Winnebago Minnie 31C that did not come with the optional rear vision system. The Winnebago option had a monitor mounted in the visor. I have checked around Winnebago's web site and found install instructions but I'm trying to think of a different location for the monitor. It seems to me that if you wanted to see the image going down the road it might be annoying to have to put the visor down. Any other Class C'ers out there have the installed system? What's your opinion?

Also, can anyone recommend a better place to install the monitor? I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer but I'm willing to give it a shot. It looks like it is pre-wired for a Voyager system.

I'm trying to search the 'net for Voyager camera and monitor to save a few bucks. I've lived without it for this long but I think it would be nice to have the camera back there.

Thanks for any advice!

* This post was edited 12/07/08 06:25pm by Cloots6 *

catman2130093

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Lexington has it's monitor mounted between the visors. The mount needs to be constantly tightened up, it's a pain. I do mean constantly, like every 15 or 20 miles if the road is smooth, much more often if the road is rough. Also, if you pull down the passenger's visor down, the cable attached to the monitor gets pulled out by the visor.

rjf7g

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/08 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I misread your subject - I thought it asked about the rear view mirror -- I was all ready to answer your question for my old class C...oh, well.

2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

K3BH

Slower Lower Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine came through with the visor monitor. Since ongoing monitoring when driving was so helpful for situational awareness, and the visor was always in the way, I replaced the visor monitor with a 5" LCD screen that I mounted on the dash. I had originally purchased a CRT monitor but it was huge, so I returned it in favor of a 5" LCD, which is just right.

I found Tim Lazaroe at www.rvcams.com to be very knowledgeable and helpful in coming up with the proper connectors to make the changeover.

Jay

Jay, Susan, 2 cats in Bigfoot 29G 6.0L PSD. Toad Saturn Ion. SMI-Brake Silent Partner Stay-in-Play. Demco baseplate & tow bar.

awsmom8

Just Outside Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is mounted on a flat piece of metal that was attached between the visors and it floats under the slide in upper bunk. Never had any problems with it except bumping my head on it a few times to go from the drivers seat to the back of the class C. I'll post pics if I can figure out how.

Women who obey the rules don't have any fun!
1998 Class C Jamboree 29' Bunkhouse KidHauler 30,000 miles
1998 Saturn SW with 40,000 miles
1993 & 1995 year kids
My Best Friend Frosty-Chi/jack Russel Mix
My Other Best Friend Garmin 330
sedonananny.com

Cloots6

Vacaville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay, thanks. I was thinking about something like what you described. Can you post a pic?

Thanks,
John

ntar827

Bay Village, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/08 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mounted my monitor on the dash against the door post. It is in front of me and does not block my view of the road. I don't have to turn my head to look at the monitor and it is much closer than it would be at the rear view location.
Very convenient and I think safer.

knparker

Vacaville,CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Garmin SP7500 GPS for the monitor mounted to the top of the dash just to the left of center, good viewing, no vision obstruction, stays where I set it. Similar model here, they don't make the 7500 any more.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=6389#

Purchased a Voyager camera from Tim Lazaroe @ RV Cams. Really pleasant and knowledgeable guy to deal with.

http://rvcams.com/

* This post was edited 12/07/08 08:25pm by knparker *

'05 Bigfoot 30MH24DB
'07 Subaru Forester toad

stick244

Lower Burrell,PA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/08 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

catman 2130093
Did you try permanent loctite(red)on your monitor mount screws? It should hold them from comming loose.

Semi Retired Grandpa

Corvallis, Oregon,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/08 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloots6 wrote:

I have a 2005 Winnebago Minnie 31C that did not come with the optional rear vision system. The Winnebago option had a monitor mounted in the visor. I have checked around Winnebago's web site and found install instructions but I'm trying to think of a different location for the monitor. It seems to me that if you wanted to see the image going down the road it might be annoying to have to put the visor down. Any other Class C'ers out there have the installed system? What's your opinion?

Also, can anyone recommend a better place to install the monitor? I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer but I'm willing to give it a shot. It looks like it is pre-wired for a Voyager system.

I'm trying to search the 'net for Voyager camera and monitor to save a few bucks. I've lived without it for this long but I think it would be nice to have the camera back there.

Thanks for any advice!

We also have the Minnie 31C. It is prewired for a back up camera and monitor so the installation is easy. I installed the monitor in place of the rear view mirror - simply tilted the mirror up and installed the monitor with a suction cup (that came with the camera/monitor) immediately below it. We've taken many, many trips covering many thousands of miles (including Alaske) w/o the monitor ever coming loose. Wouldn't be w/o the system - especially while towing.

Gary & Liesel
Cocoa, our Chocolate Lab companion
2013 Tiffin 30 GA
2004 Honda Element Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Where is your class c backup camera monitor installed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS