|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Disappointing Arctic Fox heat - UPDATE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did an experiment this past Monday. With the thermometer hovering around 8 degrees F I ran the furnace all day with the thermostat set on 50. I have placed wireless temperature sensors in the basement next to the dump valves and beside the fresh water tank. I let it run all day while I was at work. When I returned, the camper was at 50 degrees as expected. The dump valve sensor was at 22 degrees and the fresh water tank was at 24 degrees. Obviously that's not going to do it for cold weather camping. [emoticon]

There is one small computer fan that comes on with the furnace that blows air from the floor down into the basement area near the dump valves. I'm thinking I'm going to have to add several more fans to increase the air flow into the basement.

Any thoughts?

* This post was edited 12/12/08 06:31pm by FarcticOx *

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

FF1063

NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 12/27/08 07:02am by FF1063 *

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick question. Did you turn on the furnace with the camper at 8*F or was the camper already warmed up? Put another way, what was the temperature at the dump valve and fresh water tank at the start of the experiment? I'm wondering if the temperature was still rising when you checked.

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just stick your [emoticon] face by the valves to warm them up.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife "> 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd try turning the thermostat up to 55 then 60 before spending any money on upgrades.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FF1063 wrote:

Since heat rises, it seems like the worst place to draw into the basement area would be on the floor next to the rear door

You're right, of course, but I think the intention is to use the cooler air that has already warmed the cabin to keep the basement merely above freezing.

As you suggested, I'm going to add a second fan in front where the vent to the basement is and maybe add a shroud around that rear fan to pull in more air.

Lots of Stuff wrote:

I'd try turning the thermostat up to 55 then 60 before spending any money on upgrades.

Yeah, that would probably help, but I don't really want to leave the heat that high if I'm going to be off skiing all day.

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually I had the camper up to 65 degrees all weekend and turned it down to 50 when I left for work on Monday. It had been considerably warmer on the weekend and the basement was staying in the high 30s, but outside temps were in the low to mid 30s. The temperature dropped down into the single digits over night Sunday. I didn't think to check the basement temps on Monday morning.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FarcticOx wrote:

Actually I had the camper up to 65 degrees all weekend and turned it down to 50 when I left for work on Monday...

In that case, it does sound like you need to boost the warm airflow in the basement somehow.

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered 4 of those little fans with switches, so I'm going to experiment some more this weekend. The Camper heats nicely, but I need to get the basement up to temp too.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/08 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES!, many FarticOx. Not a rant but... Since I have owned two, an 1140 and now an 1150, this is an issue for me to. I am below freezing a lot. I do not winterize as I use mine year round. Not funny to some you bring up this subject scaring everyone...LOL..LOL, but if I had one issue, it is the lack of heat distribution in their units especially to the basement and overhead. Obviously putting the heater on the slide side is not the best idea either. Today I returned from a 2 day trip and find out we are going freezing in 2 days. I am prepared though as I have 2 very small space heaters, one at the waste valves and the other underneath the step and tool box pointing towards the pump. They are both set on LOW...they come on at around 40+ degrees. Perfect for the enclosed space. The condition is you have to be hooked up to 110 or have the genny running. We could go on for awhile but I just drain my tank, open the water drain valves that are by the waste valves, open all of the other sink and shower valves, then when it all drains, I close those valves by the waste drains. That is when it is in the driveway. Whew!....Tank blankets as an option perhaps, on and on. I think we are left to modify our rigs as the "BREAK" (not funny), but this is how I am finding the flaws using a rig year round. Anyone else??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Disappointing Arctic Fox heat - UPDATE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS