|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> More Lance 992 Before and After with commentary

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mrblaine

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the poorly executed pull-out pantry that's considered standard fare. What standard I'm not sure, but it's poor use of space, horrid adjustability, and the fact it only pulled out 3/4's of the way due to Lance's use of 3/4 extension drawer slides means that whatever standard you use to compare it to, will make it a sad choice.

Here it is in all of it's inefficient powdercoated wire glory.
[image]

It used to reside here next to the refrigerator behind the tall skinny door front.

[image]

A quick trip to the lumber yard fetched up some 4/4 and 3/4 solid red oak boards. A few minutes on the computer generated a drawing that I carried over to the neighbor with the woodshop and this is a peek at the result.

[image]

I used two pair of Accuride drawer slides, full extension, 22" ball bearing, releaseable, 100 lbs per pair, with the self close and grab feature that kicks in for the last 1 1/2" of travel. That feature negates the use of an extra latch to keep it from moving around while under way. The release allows me to remove the unit at any time should something fall behind it like was common with the other pantry.

This pic shows it fully extended with the exact same selection of assorted items that entirely filled the wire mess. I've come to the conclusion that wire is for chicken coops. I like wood better.

I finished it with natural Minwax wax finish and a bit of rubbing with a soft cloth.

[image]

We used the 4/4 for the top and bottom.

The 3/4 was used for the shelves and ends. More of the 3/4 was ripped to 1 1/4" and then planed down to 5/16" for the side rails.

* This post was edited 12/24/08 09:32pm by mrblaine *

05 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW Long Bed 4dr
07 Lance 992
III so far.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A work of art! Nice job, send a copy to Lance and maybe they'll give you a new camper next time for free! (Yeah, right!) [emoticon]

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

Wrasle Castle

antioch ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work mrblaine

Now your doing work that I can fully understand. I am a GC and own a cabinet shop.

Did you use the 3832SC series glides? They would be they only ones I can think of that would give you 100lbs of weight carring capacity,22" long with the self closing option.

2014 RoadTrek 190P Permanent Bath
09 Honda TRX420AT the DWs
04 Honda Foreman Rubicon w/GPS...mine

mrblaine

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdootydieselsmoker wrote:

A work of art! Nice job, send a copy to Lance and maybe they'll give you a new camper next time for free! (Yeah, right!) [emoticon]

A free camper? [emoticon] After all the things I've said about Lance, I'll be surprised if they don't send someone to beat me with a stick. [emoticon]

But, it was a fun little project. I got to see some of Lance's hidden assembly methods and they either need to aim better or make their little boards wider. Not a single screw that went down from the roof into the partitions that I exposed, did not go out the side and split the wood.

I'm designing a wall mount spice rack for a narrow space beside one of the slide-outs and an over head shelf with rails across the top of the kitchen cabinets. So, we'll see how that goes.

Wrasle Castle

antioch ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of more questions mrblaine.

I was looking at your pics and the material you bought.

Were did you buy your lumber. If it was 4/4 its only 3/4" finished and the 3/4 would only be 1/2" finished. Did you buy FAS or select?

Why would you use 2 sets of glides? That would be over 200lbs of capacity.

None the less you did a great job. I like the fact that you screwed and pluged the shelves in place.

On edit I think I answered some of my own questions.

You bought 5/4 and 4/4. That would make the material 1" and 3/4"....

mrblaine

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrasle Castle wrote:

Nice work mrblaine

Now your doing work that I can fully understand. I am a GC and own a cabinet shop.

Did you use the 3832SC series glides? They would be they only ones I can think of that would give you 100lbs of weight carring capacity,22" long with the self closing option.

Yep, 3832 SC glides. Since they aren't recommended for lateral use, I used two pair and the top ones are mounted with screws only in the ends of the flex tab so they can float slightly to compensate for any out of square between the top and bottom of the cabinet interior.

There does seem to be a small discrepancy in the weight rating. The catalogue lists them at 105 and the Accuride insert in the bag lists them at 100. You're right and I'll correct my post.

I still giggle over some of the early comments when I was sniveling, saying that I shouldn't own a camper unless I was good at fixing stuff. My first profession is a carpenter. Not the specialized stuff that's prevalent in today's home building, like the guy that does nothing but hang doors, but a genuine carpenter. When my uncle broke me out building custom homes, we started by laying out the foundation so we could set the concrete forms, then we tied all the rebar, poured, framed, stacked the rafters, sheathed the roof, dried it in, set all the doors and windows, and then we set up a mill in the garage and built all the interior door frames, pre-hung them with doors, set them, and then started on the cabinetry and finish work. Base, case, crown, raised and recessed panel work, set all the cabinet boxes, made drawer boxes, installed doors and drawer fronts, installed the appliances and we walked off the job when the owners moved in. I did that for 15 years.

I never said I didn't know how to do something, I just didn't think I should have to. [emoticon]

Steve_in_29

29 Palms (SEMPER FI), CA 92277

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice work.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

mrblaine

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrasle Castle wrote:

A couple of more questions mrblaine.

I was looking at your pics and the material you bought.

Were did you buy your lumber. If it was 4/4 its only 3/4" finished and the 3/4 would only be 1/2" finished. Did you buy FAS or select?

That's correct, 3/4" for the top and bottom, 1/2" for the shelves and ends. It's been awhile, but I seem to remember from the cabinet days that it's called Straight line rip one edge and it was S2S with one raw edge.

It wasn't select, we had to cut around quite a few knots and open areas. The selection of 3/4 wasn't that good and I didn't want to buy all 4/4 and spend the time planing it down, although the 4/4 had a much nicer selection to choose from. This project was time vs benefit. I could get much nicer wood in 4/4, but the time spent milling it up would have cost more time for something that you're only going to see the edge of. It worked out just fine and we have very few bad spots anywhere.

Quote:

Why would you use 2 sets of glides? That would be over 200lbs of capacity.

I know from building ambulances that slides are derated considerably when used in a mobile application. I knew the additional shelves would get filled and didn't want to risk being under capacity. Being that the top pair is turned on their side, they don't contribute much to the capacity and only stabilize the top.

Quote:

None the less you did a great job. I like the fact that you screwed and pluged the shelves in place.

Thank you. Doesn't everyone screw and plug oak when they use it? Of course it helps if you still have the countersinks and plug cutters from the old days, eh?

mrblaine

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrasle Castle wrote:

On edit I think I answered some of my own questions.

You bought 5/4 and 4/4. That would make the material 1" and 3/4"....

Forgot to answer one. The lumber was purchased at a local lumber yard in Santa Ana called Orange Coast Lumber.

It was 4/4 which is 3/4" as you know and 3/4 that is 1/2".

Wrasle Castle

antioch ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/08 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well now us lazy guys just predrill and use square drive trim head screws. Only about a strong 1/8" hole and use color putty. For bigger items we do use counter sink and plugs and it looks like you turned the grain the right way on your plugs.

S2S...you did go to a lumber yard and not HD....Good for you and your local lumber yard.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> More Lance 992 Before and After with commentary
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS