RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Gray water to Black water transfer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gray water to Black water transfer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
portablevcb

Here

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/09 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we dry camp I usually just drain the grey water to a local bush. Got one of the caps that has a hose fitting on it. I have a 'grey' hose for this use only that I hook up and run it out (50ft).

I used to fret over this until I realized what we used to do camping. Make dinner. Do dishes. Take basin of dirty water and throw it around a 'distant' bush. If I was being careful of critters I'd make a hole and dump, then cover the area. 'Bath' water was just thrown in the nearest bush.

So, now I just do the same with the RV. Only one campground where we did not do this and it was because we were surrounded by other campers (hose wasn't long enough [emoticon] ).

FYI, our county specifically allows a house to have separate drains for bathtubs, sinks and laundry that dump on the ground. Area must be distant from any wells and on 'your' property.

charlie

PS this will probably start up the dreaded 'grey water' debate again. Sorry.

2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2017 Jayco Eagle 29.5BHOK
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/09 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy this discussion seems to crop about once a year. Personally I have never been to a place where I could not get rid of my gray water. That is not to say that there are not places , but I have never been in one. Even the most primitive of camp grounds I have been in had at least one teepee for gray water. Why not get a bucket, a tote tank or something similar and drain off some of the gray water once a day or so and dump it in an approved place? Seems far easier to me than trying to rearrange the plumbing and thereby making everything in your RV a black tank.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

MandKFarmer

Glen Allen, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/09 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the ideas here....I would check the path of that black water wash out line before using it. When I was winterizing this year I noticed one line that did not have pink stuff in it...after a bit of investigation it was the flush line but it ran up to the underneath of the bathroom sink to the cold side then back out the hot side and on to the black tank. This makes no sense to me and I did not have time to figure out why. I would not think it would tie into the fresh water system...but who knows now days.

11 Chevy 2500HD CC Duramax/Allison 4X4 Z71
07 Mountaineer 307RKD

Hiking Hunter

Warrior, Alabama, usually

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/09 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

portablevcb and donn0128 - that's the most logical, simple, least expensive, reliable and non-messy method of gray disposal there is!! We used to do it all the time in Boy Scouts - the dish water was always saved for fire bucket water, and the rinse water was saved for dish water! After the fire buckets were filled, and the water was not needed for cleaning, it was disposed of by taking it away from camp, away from any stream, and dumped so as not to be messy. We were just being resourceful. I'm all for it, in fact, when we used to have a pop-up camper with a sink and no toilet, we always saved the gray to extinguish the campfire and water the bushes. It's only for the scorn of fellow campers who mistakenly think I'm dumping my black tank, and pressure by DW who is embarrassed by my actions that I relent!

MandKFarmer - that IS srange. Do you have a separate inlet for the flush water on the side of the camper? I think I'll go check my routing tomorrow.

Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

adamsr2

Midland, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/09 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dealer installed a little pump and did the plumbing for me. Now I have an electrical switch to turn on the pump. Then I have a water valve that gives me the choice of pumping the "shower" gray tank into either the black tank of the galley tank.

32' 2001 Sunnybrook 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Duramax
Bob and Mary Adams
Midland, Michigan

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/09 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So from the above posts, many think dumping gray water is great for watering. And also here in the desert in Q in the BLM.
Now what they don't understand is gray water is full of dishwater soap, grease, and food scraps. Black is would be a better choice if we thought about it, to dump as it is ALL natural. All creatures do it but they don't spread dish soap all over the place. Guess which one will degrade naturally. You got it. So the bottom line... spreading your gray around is worse then dumping so to speak your #2.

See the article Mark Nemeth (now Escapees Technical Advisor) did on how to pump your gray to your back tank in this article he wrote.

Now back to the orig post about getting your gray saved to your black tank. We do the dish washing tub and dump it in the stool.

Sharing Travel Journals and Adventures Hitchitch.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Gray water to Black water transfer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS