Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Winegard Satellite dish wind wiggle fix

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/17/09 02:33pm

Some time ago someone posted a fix to help eliminate the wiggle a Winegard roof mounted satellite dish does in the wind. I've tried every search word I can think of and am not getting any responses. Anyone remember where this might be, or the original poster recall a location?
Appreciate any help.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G

Posted By: MountainAir05 on 01/17/09 03:40pm

Contact winegard and they have a very small gas strut that connects to the base and dish, Wind will no longer move it. The fix was to tight the screw on the crank under the base. I tried loctite and it held for a little bit but this wind the past years has done a number on it. I went threw some 60+ wind a month back when park and never lost a signal or a flikler with the strut install. If I can find the kit number will send it to you.

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/17/09 04:30pm

Thanks MountainAir - If you can't find the parts number I'm sure Winegard won't have any problems without it. Do you remember about what the cost run for it?

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/17/09 07:32pm

Tom - Can you raise and lower your dish with the bungees on it like that, or do you have to get up on top and hook them up when you stop? Looks like an easy simple arrangement.

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: Tom N on 01/17/09 06:59pm

This is my fix and it works very well.

-Tom

* This post was last edited 01/20/09 07:50am by Tom N *

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Posted By: dougrainer on 01/17/09 05:03pm

If you have the older RD 4600, this is the shim kit they came out with. This consisted of a outer threaded rod that went around the crank shaft to stiffen the mount. Doug

http://winegard.com/mobile/pdf/2452032%20rp-rm46.pdf

Posted By: SRT on 01/20/09 07:09am

MountainAir05 wrote:

Contact winegard and they have a very small gas strut that connects to the base and dish, Wind will no longer move it. The fix was to tight the screw on the crank under the base. I tried loctite and it held for a little bit but this wind the past years has done a number on it. I went threw some 60+ wind a month back when park and never lost a signal or a flikler with the strut install. If I can find the kit number will send it to you.

If you have an older Wingard dish, there was a kit that tightened up "things". That helped quite a bit on mine. The kit replaced the turret and the rod to the turret.

My dish still bounces a little bit in a strong wind, but still holds the signal pretty good.

When you call Winegard, have the model number handy. they may need it.

Good luck!

SRT
2000 32' HR Vacationer with Banks
1998 Subaru Outback Ltd. 5 spd
Brake Buddy & Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
FMCA #266040 HRRVC #84109

Posted By: Troubleshooter on 01/18/09 11:17am

don/lou wrote:

Has anyone else seen or heard of this strut fix mentioned earlier??
I have searched the Winguard site & have been unable to find anything
Will give them a phone call tomorrow-would be nice to have a fix for this bobbing in the wind!
The threaded tube around the shaft fix didn't work for me??

In May 2007, I contacted Weingard in regards to the wind movement of our RM-46DE satellite antenna, and ask about a 'retro-fit' kit.
I was informed that there IS NOT a retro kit for this problem.
Their recommendations for solving the problem was two fold, as follows:

Quote:

1. With the dish elevated, gently place your hand on the top of the dish.
2. Rock the dish front to back and roughly measure how far it moves.
a. 1-1.5 inches is normal, and will NOT cause the dish to lose signal.
b. More than 1.5 inches of movement is a problem. To fix it, tighten the setscrew on the elevation gear inside the turret.
3. Rotate the dish from left to right.
a. There should be less than 1/4 inch of rotation.
b. More than 1/4 inch will cause the unit to lose signal in the wind.
c. This can be corrected by changing the directional handle. Cut the new directional handle to be 1/8 inch longer than the one currently installed. If you don't need to cut it, the handle is most likely too short and you need an extension. If you need an extension make sure you glue it to the directional handle to eliminate movement between the handle and extension. The directional handle is the only thing involved with rotation. If it isn't long enough the dish will move in the wind.

Tim Miller
Winegard Technical Service
1 (800) 788-4417

While I have not tackled this project, as our problem is relatively minor, this is the method I will attempt when the time comes.

Bill
2002 Discovery 3126E CAT
2004 Saturn VUE
Mountain Master Tow Brake

Posted By: kix on 01/20/09 07:04am

I have the hand crank single LNB Wingard dish. I called Wingard about 6 months ago and they send me a new handle asembly and a new turret and that solved the problem. There was N/C for the parts. The turret goes on top of the roof. It was easy to change out but it easier if there's someone on the ground too.

KIX
'02 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
350hp Cummins ISC
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
5.7 L HEMI

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 01/19/09 09:16pm

Tom - Going to really stretch your memory a little, would you by any chance remember about what length those two bungee cords had to be? Would save me an extra trip up on the roof, which I don't exactly relish being 12 feet above the ground on a somewhat slippery surface.
Thanks a lot.

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: Goombay on 01/18/09 10:07am

Bumping this topic back up as I am also curious. Looks as if you can leave the bungies on all the time.

2004 R-Vision Condor 1281 (30 ft)
2000 Mazda Tribute
Stehl tow dolly w/ electric brakes

Posted By: don/lou on 01/18/09 10:27am

Has anyone else seen or heard of this strut fix mentioned earlier??
I have searched the Winguard site & have been unable to find anything
Will give them a phone call tomorrow-would be nice to have a fix for this bobbing in the wind!
The threaded tube around the shaft fix didn't work for me??

Don & Louise
2000 Coachman Catalina 330 MSB /F53
2008 Impala- Remco Lube Pump , Blue OX tow bar & Brake Buddy
Winegard Bell Expressview HD tv
SL3 HD- TV4RV tripod Direct HD or Dish VIP211K / external Hard drive

Posted By: don/lou on 01/19/09 09:34am

Just to bump this back up
I contacted Wineguard this am
There was a strut experiment - sent out to a couple of people but never released as a repair kit
The only kit is the RP-RM46 wind kit
which in my case didn't solve the problem
Guess I will try the Bungee fix and see if it will help
If any other ideas out there please post !!??

Posted By: dougrainer on 01/18/09 02:24pm

http://winegard.com/manuals.htm

Mobile Repair Kits

BW-1000 RK-CEIL RP2500A

RP3500A RP3500T RP-RM46

RP-RM80 RP-2900 RP-4000

RP-4400

You still have not stated your model number of your Sat. The above link gets to all the crank up mods. Scroll down to the obile Repair Kits and find your model. Doug

Posted By: RamblinFever on 03/15/09 08:16pm

Tom N wrote:

wagonmaster2 wrote:

Tom - Can you raise and lower your dish with the bungees on it like that, or do you have to get up on top and hook them up when you stop? Looks like an easy simple arrangement.

Wagonmaster2

We arrived in FL early November and I put the bungies on. We'll be parked without moving until early April. I haven't lowered the dish with the bungies installed. When we leave in April I'll try lowering with the bungies. When I look at the photos I think the dish will operate with the bungies.

The bungies are about 18" long.

-Tom

I use a similar fix but eliminate the second trip to remove the bungees. I use about 20' of clothesline and loop it through the support at the back of the dish and drop both ends over the side. Then I tie both ends to a bungee hooked under the body. When I get ready to leave I untie the bungee and pull the line out.

04 Bounder 35E, W-22
05 Honda CR-V, SMI brake

Posted By: Tom N on 01/20/09 07:48am

wagonmaster2 wrote:

Wagonmaster2

We arrived in FL early November and I put the bungies on. We'll be parked without moving until early April. I haven't lowered the dish with the bungies installed. When we leave in April I'll try lowering with the bungies. When I look at the photos I think the dish will operate with the bungies.

The bungies are about 18" long.

-Tom

Posted By: bingoldsby on 03/15/09 04:53pm

I'm bringing this back from a couple of months ago. I just finished installing an RM 4600 dish. (Stopped raining just long enough to let me get it done - for the most part. Still have proper sealing to do.

I guessed at the settings the first time, and unbelievably, it was pointed well enough for the receiver to grab the satellite to finish its boot. That's got to be a good sign for future aiming.

I did notice that there was some wobble in both directions. The rotational looseness did cause some satellite lock problems. One of the things that I noticed when I got it put together from the inside was that the length of the rotating handle was a bit short. It just went over the hub about 1/2 inch. Winegard's instructions for that length to cut, is not accurate. Fortunately, they provided the extension piece. I pulled it apart and added the extension after making careful measurements for another cut of the main piece. With the extension, it is now all the way on the hub up there.

One thing I noticed is that the extension piece has a weee bit smaller keys - and consequently, there is still a bit of play, but it's much better now. It's gusty windy today out here on the Oregon Coast, but the thing seems to be staying aimed at the satellite ok. I'll be happy to put up with the occasional bit of picture break-ups to have the dish on the roof and not have to set up the tripod and dish every time. (Those can stay stowed any time I'm parked in the clear now.)

Fortunately, Winegard is supplying the 4600 (without the digital elevation display) now with a DUAL LNB. It works the DVR, which requires two cables coming down, just fine. But, they included a cable entry plate which only has accommodation for one cable. Gotta do something different. I'll be getting cleaver with Eternabond Tape, I'm sure.

Brian K7ZRZ
Campground Hosting - Oregon State Parks
1987 30' Holiday Rambler Class A
GL1800 Goldwing - Honda Scooter Mounted
2000 Silver Miata LS Toad

Print  |  Close