|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 1983 Fleetwood Southwind Motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
amanda37860

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me and my husband have been looking for a good while for a bigger, newer camper than what we already have.We have a 20ft 1974 Wildreness travel trailor which was great for just us two but we now have 2 small children and well were kinda outgrowing it.We came across a 1983 Fleetwood Southwind Motorhome and the seller is wanting 4000.00 for it, it's got 40,000 miles on it, and in really good shape.My question is, is this motorhome (just judging by the information I am giving you) worth the price? Has anyone had any experience with this year model motorhome?

urmine351

fort smith, arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/09 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my first class A was a 1989 fleetwood pace arrow. I gave 12k for it and had good luck out of it. it did have some delamifacation, but was a good motorhome for the two yrs i owned it. mine was 32' I decided i want a little bigger so i bought a 96 safari 38' DP. I would think it would be worth the money your talking about.

1996 Safari Serengity, 3126 Cat,Allison 6 speed, 38' DPNS, 2005 Honda Element,vip tow brake. doran tire, Magellan750Nav,
and 1 good looking wife, and missy and Alex(died 11-03-06) and AJ, born 09-06-06 my carins. and Max, teacup yorkie
FMCA # F374886

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

price is good if its in pretty good shape.i paid more then that for one in good shape with more miles on it.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/09 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first MH was a 27J Fleetwood Southwind. It may or may not fit your needs with 2 small children. What length/model is it? If its in good condition 4K would be about right.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amanda keep in mind over the next 2 years you could find the need to spend another $4K on the 26 year old motorhome if you plan to take long road trips in it. Tires will eat up $1000-$1500 of that amount. Check out the roof because any leaking can total out a 26 year old MH fast.

How did you use the TT? If you only go 40 miles to a state park then you can run with a weak radiator, no dash air, etc and drive it until it breaks. It is too expensive to handle repairs that way on the road plus if you have jobs you need something road worthly.

You can buy 10 years newer for another $2-4K and get into fuel injection models and maybe side step some age related issues of both the house and the chassis.

It really depends on its condition, especially the roof and how do you plan to use it from my personal experience buying a 1993 two years ago?

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 82 going on 5 years ago. Decent shape, fairly new engine and new transmission. When I got it home we had to get some work done on the front end (bushings and one air bag). Since then I have replaced most of the rubber hoses, tires and last year brakes. Brakes were alright but one rear caliper blew the seal and wore the pad down to bare metal in a short time (at that time mostly mountains). While we had it all apart I changed rear axle seals and both rear rotors and new pads front and rear. Not too much trouble finding parts and prices were not too bad. Other than that all we have done was to make it handicapped accessible and cosmetics. I like it and it would do fine for a family with front drop down bunk, and two couches that make into double beds. Ours is a 82 Triple E and had most options available at the time. We have put almost 60,000 km (40,000 miles) on it in the five years so it does get used a fair bit, mind you a 400 mile round trip almost every weekend through the summer adds up in a hurry.

Get it checked out and make sure things work, check tires age

4k sounds like a really good price for it.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If is is truly "in really good shape" it is worth the $4000. That is in the range of the floor prices for that class of motorhome, where age and mileage no longer matter, only condition. Old Fleetwoods and even older ('70s) Winnebagoes sell in that price range when they are in good condition, need no significant repairs, and have usable miles left on the chassis.

From that point, prices start going up, as the RVs become collectible classics.

At that age, expect higher costs for ongoing maintenance, if you are going to use the thing and not put it in a museum.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

justimagination

Monroe, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amanda,and welcome to the Forum.
Wh en shopping for your next step in recreation, whether Tent, Camper, or Motorhome, buy what you can afford comfortably that will fit your needs. Fleetwood makes a good unit. I have owned all the above, and previous unit was a 1982 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 31ft.on P-30 chassis with one A/C unit. We drove it five years without any major expense.
The Southwind you mentioned is awfully close to the unit we had. Drive it, and have a Mechanic look @ it & drive it, make sure the Dash A/C works, and don't fall for the famous excuse, "IT JUST NEEDS A SHOT OF FREON", what a lame excuse for a problem. Remember, it's yours when you buy it, so get the most for your money. If they will not let a Mechanic of your choice test it, walk away.It's a BUYER'S MARKET.Good Luck.
David G.

1997 Fleetwood Southwind 37Y/Ford 460/Power Platform/ Tag Axle
Crew:Yorkie,Twin Japanese Chins,Standard & Minature Poodle,Chihuahua,Cockatiel,and last but not least,MOM,wife & CO-PILOT. 1999 Tahoe 4 Dr.
Proudly served,USAF 1959-1963

RCL

South SF bay area

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/09 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an '83 Southwind from 1983 to 1998 and put 140K miles on it. For sure, you will have some problem on that year. In our use, we had to have the transmission rebuilt, and had a chronic problem with the fan belt which drives the water pump, air pump, air conditioner and alternator. The fan belt was a marginal design, and Chevy replaced it with a serpentine belt in about '86. Another known problem with that era chevy is the exhaust manifolds. They warp and leak, giving a pfft-pfft sound at idle. They also eat spark plug wires from all the heat. The upholstery disintegrated in about 3 years, but we had the interior redone and it lasted very well. Since you say that it looks in "really good shape" I'll assume that it has been redone. The other thing to look for is that the body is straight. Ours developed a twist and had problems with the windshield as well as cabinets pulling away from the walls, especially around the stove area. Back in '83, the original cost was in the high $30K range for a 29 foot model.

Your best bet is to find someone who knows their way around motorhomes to carefully examine all the construction, as well as someone who is a good mechanic. It helps if you are handy and can repair stuff yourself. If you have to have it done at a shop, your $4K investment will be just a down payment.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/09 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it has a rubber roof that is 26 years old. replacing that would double the cost.
bumpy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 1983 Fleetwood Southwind Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS