Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Plastic Door and Drawer Latches - my experience!

Posted By: sepisllib on 02/04/09 01:58pm

Since buying the Dynasty my luck with the existing plastic door and drawer latches has been a real PIA - to say the least.

I finally found a source for what I call "Bead Latches" but one source calls them "Adjustable Tension Ball Catch" and the one that I originally purchased is Link for the Hardware Hut

I purchased a few of these to try out and put them on the smaller drawers and doors.

With one exception they have worked great - on one of the drawers I installed the latch and tried to tighten the ball down to make it just a little more tension - as a result I actually pushed the little ball bearing through the keeper on one end and destroyed it - I replaced it yesterday and it stayed shut on the terrible I-10 so it must be ok.

I did buy some larger units that I have put on the larger doors and drawers especially the medacine cabinet doors and such.

We arrived in Gulfport Ms - and wife told me that I now have "one more" plastic latch to replace - another one broke.

I believe that I counted the doors and drawers one day - and have 72of them. Not all have the latches, but enough that it takes a while to replace them even as they break.

Just my story ----

God Bless

Bill

* This post was edited 02/05/09 08:37am by sepisllib *

Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

Posted By: sepisllib on 02/13/09 05:30pm

My order for the smaller latches arrived today - UPS.

I now have more than enough of the larger latches and smaller latches to replace all of the plastic ones as they break. Plus will have a reserve supply in case one of the brass ones fails for whatever reason.

I know many of you out there do have the plastic latches and are very satisfied with them. However I also know what my experience has been and continues to be with them and mine are failing at the rate of at least one (1) per week.

Just sharing with you all what I have run into and my efforts to resolve the issue with something of decent "quality". At least the Brass latches are not prone to become brittle with age and heat and begin to self destruct with use.

God Bless

Bill

Posted By: brobox on 02/13/09 08:53pm

I hear you about I-10. If you made it across with the new latches, there working. I just came across from FL to Houston and had to replace 4 florescent bulbs which is what I loose on every trip across I-10. Don't you just hate I-10 and now the Houston side is all under construction again.

Nice tip on the latches, thanks for sharing.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Posted By: bcthunder on 02/13/09 09:58pm

Thanks Bill for posting the source for these brass latches. These are pretty much the only type of latch I have in my rig. They work great especially when I use loctite or something similar to keep the screws tight. I picked up some spares from the Monaco Rally last year but having access to another Supplier feels pretty good. Thanks again.

2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 * Allison 4060
Aventa 2 * US Gear * Jeep GCL

Posted By: sepisllib on 02/14/09 06:58am

Thank you.

From the time we arrived, here in Gulfport Ms, until I received the last batch of latches, I have had 2 more plastic ones fail.

It has been mentioned that "allignment" is often the real problem with the plastics ------- not that I intend to dispute that statement but I would ask this question.

Question is ----- how would it be possible for "All" of my plastic doors and drawers to be "out of allignment"? Odds of "Chance" would dictate that at least one (1) of the 72 installed would be in correct allignment.

So far there are no simple or "logical" failures ----- ie; one time it will be a small drawer and next time it will be a door and next time it will be something else ----- no logic. Presently I had a larger drawer latch fail and then a very small one just a couple feet from the first.....

I'm done ----- period, with plastic latches. For you that still have and use them with good luck ----- good for you and God Bless. For me - I "shall" replace each and every failed plastic latch with the brass latches as I have shown. Larger doors and drawers the heavier one and the smaller doors and drawers will be with the small ones.

God Bless

Bill

Posted By: HobbyHauler on 02/13/09 07:40pm

Bill, those latches look very sturdy.

The problems I've had with the original plastic L-shaped latches seem to be more of an alignment problem. If the drawer moves a little in its track the latch will no fully release and when I try to close it again, I can break the latch if I'm too forcefull.

Let us know how your new style latches work out. Thanks.

Les Stallings
South of Nashville, TN
2002 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38, ISL 400, TAG
Toad: 2003 Saturn LW300

Posted By: percle on 02/16/09 07:49pm

sepisllib wrote:

percle wrote:

Thanks for the info - I ordered a couple of sizes to give them a try. Now if I could only find a good latch for the sliding closet door instead of those plastic ones that break when you pull them back a little too much!!!

You must have different closet doors than I do. My closet stretches across the rear and occupies most of the back wall. Washer/dryer on passenger side cabinet and on driver side is just a small cabinet and rest of width is a double door closet with mirrored doors that slide by each other.

Mine have no latches at all - they just slide shut and remarkably they do not move at all during travel.

Good Luck on your latches.

God Bless

Bill

This is what I have - they either break, don't hold or come out of the wall - I'll blame it on the kids for now!
Wardrobe Latch

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37CDS Diesel Pusher
275HP Cummins ISB Diesel/Allison 6 Speed
95,000 Miles

Posted By: SunflyerA on 02/16/09 06:11pm

Funny...I changed out all of those brass latches to the plastic ones (I think we're talking about the same ones) because I was tired of my drawers always popping open on every turn....So far I'm happy, but my latches are still new.

Posted By: sepisllib on 02/15/09 04:59am

percle wrote:

Thanks for the info - I ordered a couple of sizes to give them a try. Now if I could only find a good latch for the sliding closet door instead of those plastic ones that break when you pull them back a little too much!!!

You must have different closet doors than I do. My closet stretches across the rear and occupies most of the back wall. Washer/dryer on passenger side cabinet and on driver side is just a small cabinet and rest of width is a double door closet with mirrored doors that slide by each other.

Mine have no latches at all - they just slide shut and remarkably they do not move at all during travel.

Good Luck on your latches.

God Bless

Bill

Posted By: percle on 02/14/09 09:33pm

Posted By: sepisllib on 02/14/09 04:53pm

flhtci-rider wrote:

I not sure if your latches are like mine a black receiver with a "L" hook that inserts into it. Wile I was at Monaco Wildwood the past month I wanted to purchase a couple of extras since I broke 1. That is when I found out There is 2 pressures and strengths of latches of this type. Maybe you need the stronger one. Also they only charged me $0.75 each

Yes - thank you, I am aware of the different plastic strength latches and I do have both sizes in my coach. It seem that it matters little on my failure rate, however, as one and then the other and etc/

Basically I could care less on the price - the plastic could cost 7 cents and the ones I am replacing could be $5 each and I would still make the change. It's all about quality and reliability - not to mention frustrations.

God Bless

Bill

Posted By: topflite51 on 02/14/09 08:56am

I have used the magnetic latches that are sold by virtually every hardware store. Not saying they are better, just readily available. Offered up as another option.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Posted By: flhtci-rider on 02/14/09 09:05am

I not sure if your latches are like mine a black receiver with a "L" hook that inserts into it. Wile I was at Monaco Wildwood the past month I wanted to purchase a couple of extras since I broke 1. That is when I found out There is 2 pressures and strengths of latches of this type. Maybe you need the stronger one. Also they only charged me $0.75 each

2006 Scepter
2008 24' Haulmark EDGE
2008 Grand Vitara
My best friend DW
1 fur ball Max (AKA - PITA)
And enough solar power so I never have to start the Gen Set

Posted By: dav5942 on 02/14/09 09:13am

Changed our plastic ones two years ago to the ones on the right. They were standard on my '99 boat. Work great! As said some doors/drawers will need the larger size.

2007 Newmar 42' Mid Engine w/Fatboy,Grizzly 550s-in Garage,Rubicon w/4" lift,MotorMetal whls,MickeyT Baja tires-Cherokee w/4"lift in tow, Hog Valley FL(a diamond in the rough)
2010 Part2

Alaska Fishing Newmar Mid Engine 2010 Sportfishing

Print  |  Close