RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to replace the weather stripping on the slide out?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How to replace the weather stripping on the slide out?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
gar_fanatic

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/09 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I didn't type the right keywords in the search, but I couldn't find anywhere how to replace the weatherstripping on the slideout. Can anyone help me with this? Is this something that any slightly mechanically inclined person can do, or is it something you highly recommend taking it to the dealer for?

Mine is getting very old (it's a '93) and is not sealing at the bottom, allowing water around the bottom while the slide is out. It is fine when the slide is pulled in.

Me, my DH, my DD (8) and DS (5)
'09 Puma PF295BHSS 33 1/2' Bunk house (Finally-a camper I'm proud of!)
'04 Ford F-350 crew cab 6.0L PowerStroke diesel "the haulin hawg"
Owners of an auto repair shop-Working hard now to play hard later

KSadler1

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/09 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if this true, but I have heard that the slide has to be removed to replace the weather stripping. Someone else may know for sure but that's what I've heard.....

Ken

2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/09 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the trailers I had with slides, the rubber seals all were held on with large staples or screws. The slides never had to be removed to get access to them. I regularly check the screws on mine to be sure they remain tight. There is also a lube you can spray on the rubber to keep them flexible and that may help with not having to replace them.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

balvert

Windsor, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/09 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine that the techniques would vary among brands. However I have replaced both the main and bedroom slide weather strips on mine and actually it was rather easy. The slide DID NOT have to be removed. I ran the slide in part way so there was no pressure on either inside or outside. The rubber was held in place to the outside frame by spring clips integrated into the rubber weather strip. I pulled the old one off and cleaned the surfaces. I started at one end and pushed the new one on to the frame and worked my way all the way around, making sure it was tight into the corners. On the corners I replaced a screw the held the rubber flush on the outside corner. I cut a slit into the edge of the rubber on the inside of the corner so it would overlap and form a 90 degree bend. Then I ran a bead of sealant all the way along the outer edge to prevent moisture from getting behind the rubber. The orignal one failed when moisture got in behind and corroded the spring clips holding the thing on the frame. Just be sure to measure and order the correct length.

Casey

Casey & Karen, Border Collies, Polly & Babe
04 Newmar Mountain Aire 34RDCK with tandem duals & XPS Ribs, Pullrite 25.5K Super 5th, MorRyde, Solar, RotoChoks
03 Dodge DRW Sport, Cummins, 4.10, 6 spd, MBRP SS Exhaust, Jacobs E-Brake, Tire Sentry, BrakeSmart

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How to replace the weather stripping on the slide out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS