Maybe I didn't type the right keywords in the search, but I couldn't find anywhere how to replace the weatherstripping on the slideout. Can anyone help me with this? Is this something that any slightly mechanically inclined person can do, or is it something you highly recommend taking it to the dealer for?
Mine is getting very old (it's a '93) and is not sealing at the bottom, allowing water around the bottom while the slide is out. It is fine when the slide is pulled in.
Me, my DH, my DD (8) and DS (5)
'09 Puma PF295BHSS 33 1/2' Bunk house (Finally-a camper I'm proud of!)
'04 Ford F-350 crew cab 6.0L PowerStroke diesel "the haulin hawg"
Owners of an auto repair shop-Working hard now to play hard later
On the trailers I had with slides, the rubber seals all were held on with large staples or screws. The slides never had to be removed to get access to them. I regularly check the screws on mine to be sure they remain tight. There is also a lube you can spray on the rubber to keep them flexible and that may help with not having to replace them.
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.
I would imagine that the techniques would vary among brands. However I have replaced both the main and bedroom slide weather strips on mine and actually it was rather easy. The slide DID NOT have to be removed. I ran the slide in part way so there was no pressure on either inside or outside. The rubber was held in place to the outside frame by spring clips integrated into the rubber weather strip. I pulled the old one off and cleaned the surfaces. I started at one end and pushed the new one on to the frame and worked my way all the way around, making sure it was tight into the corners. On the corners I replaced a screw the held the rubber flush on the outside corner. I cut a slit into the edge of the rubber on the inside of the corner so it would overlap and form a 90 degree bend. Then I ran a bead of sealant all the way along the outer edge to prevent moisture from getting behind the rubber. The orignal one failed when moisture got in behind and corroded the spring clips holding the thing on the frame. Just be sure to measure and order the correct length.