|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I miss the outdoor stove with my Pop Up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DLCFords

Cincinnati, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to find a 3 burner stove for my new Jayco Travel Trailer. My Starcraft Pop Up had a nice indoor/outdoor stove top that hung on the side of the trailer. the Jayco has a rail, for hanging, and an LP quick connect. I see there is a grill available from Jayco, but no stove. Any suggestions where to find a stove that will hang on the side?

curt12914

Northern NY State

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't hang it on the side of the camper, but the Camp Chef talked about in this thread sounds like a great stove/oven combo.

I have a Camp Chef 3 burner stove that I love. Their procucts are good quality, but not cheap.

05 Ford F-350 Lariat CC 4X4 PSD DRW Line X Retrax
02 Montana Big Sky 3295 RK (2) Honda EU2000is
When my grown kids were inspecting our new fifth wheel, one asked why we bought a trailer that sleeps 4. My reply was that we couldn't find one that sleeps 2!

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/09 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard some complaints from folks with RVQs (the grill that hangs on the side of TTs) that it gets awfully hot and they are concerned about possible damage to the side of their TTs. Not sure what the percentage is that has this problem - it might be just a few. In any case, though, I think the suggestion for the Coleman stove is a good one. Perhaps you can find or build a shelf that can attach to the side of your TT and put a Coleman stove on that.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I searched high and low for indoor outdoor pop up stove. I eventually found one on Ebay. For $50.00 bucks or so. I could have had a dealer order one from the factory but the price was outrageous. Anyway I suggest you look on Ebay or Craigslist. They do appear there occasionally

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

NHguy

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are a smart guy to do this. I much prefer cooking outside to inside.
I have a Webber gas grill with a flat top that I put over the top for eggs, pancakes, etc. but I'd really like a couple of burners. I don't remember where but there are a couple of companies that make burners.
Go search online, there's lots of options.

pammi

was MI now The Colony, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just used our coleman stove from tenting days. Not connected to the rail nor the quick connect (differing pressures). Best part of all is cost efficient.

2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly.

Leaf-Peeper

Small Town, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really missed having the high pressure outside stove that our Coleman popup had. The following pictures show how we added one to our Roo. There's usually a big difference in the performance between a high pressure stove and low pressure stove (Camp Chef seems to be the best low presurre unit out there). There is also a big difference when it comes time to installing one or the other as well. There is much more work and materials needed to install the high pressure stove.

We really liked the high-pressure stove that came with our Coleman popup. Found a new one on ebay for short money for our Roo. Outfitted the stove using a piece of shelving board so that it has some counter space to either side.

Here’s the connection fitting on the camper side (#600 male).

Here’s the connection at the tanks. Each tank has one these modified (1/4” elbow) Marshall adaptors. Each tank is still connected to the low-pressure regulator/change over valve. The hose with the #600 female fitting has to swapped over to the other tank when the current one runs out. If the stove doesn’t light, that tells me that the changeover valve has swapped the tanks. I can reach through the holes in the tank cover to swap the stove hose over to the other tank.

Here’s the same high-pressure (16 psi) regulator that’s used on the Coleman/Fleetwood popup campers. The hose from the regulator to the tanks was made by MB Sturges Inc. for about $13 (1/4”mpt x 16” hose x 600 swivel female). High pressure LP flex line out from regulator to 3/8” soft copper underneath camper.

Here’s the stove stored behind the sofa inside the camper.

Sofa put down for better view of stored stove.

Stove removed. Velcro “loop” material against wall to protect surfaces. Bracket on right side made from old stove base. Hook & loop strap holds stove in place on left side.

'05 Chevy Tahoe & ’08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

LakeN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How bout a Weber Baby Q? We traded a unit with an RVQ that we grew to love; got a Baby Q & like it just as well. Plus we can move it where we want it!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaf-Peeper wrote:

We really missed having the high pressure outside stove that our Coleman popup had. The following pictures show how we added one to our Roo. There's usually a big difference in the performance between a high pressure stove and low pressure stove (Camp Chef seems to be the best low presurre unit out there). There is also a big difference when it comes time to installing one or the other as well. There is much more work and materials needed to install the high pressure stove.

Well done. Nice Job. (Keep an eye on those rubber hoses if you leave them exposed 24/7)

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/09 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kknowlton wrote:

I've heard some complaints from folks with RVQs (the grill that hangs on the side of TTs) that it gets awfully hot and they are concerned about possible damage to the side of their TTs. Not sure what the percentage is that has this problem - it might be just a few. In any case, though, I think the suggestion for the Coleman stove is a good one. Perhaps you can find or build a shelf that can attach to the side of your TT and put a Coleman stove on that.

The pop up stove and RVQ are both unique, effective and efficient because they easily attach to the side of the RV. Neither produces enough heat to harm the side of the RV. (Some claim the RVQ doesn't even produce enough heat to cook there food!)
I agree there are many other options available for outdoor cooking, however none of them attach to the side of the RV. I have used my RVQ for 4 years with no damage. I imagine the OP has had success using a pop up stove or he would not be seeking another one. The idea that RVQ's cause damage is based on assumption and not actual use. They now make a shiny new stainless version of the RVQ and pop up stoves are still popular. There are RV'ers out there that like the convenience of the attaching the stove to the side and don't fear the scorching myth.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> I miss the outdoor stove with my Pop Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS