|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Towing 5th wheel 10,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs GVWR

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jsfromsd

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this topic has been covered in numerous prior posts but since I just went thru the process today I thought I would share my experiences.

If you tow a 5th wheel trailer between 10,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs GVWR you are required to have a restriction 41 endorsement added to your class C license.

I started my process at the DMV arguing with the nice lady that helped me and also her supervisor. Foe some reason they both were telling me that I needed a non-commercial class A. I explained to them that the non-commercial class A is for a 5th wheel weighing over 15,000 lbs GVWR and that the GVWR of my trailer exactly 15,000 lbs GVWR according to the sticker inside my trailer. Finally, they spoke to someone that knew what I was talking about.

The process from here on out was as simple as it gets. There is no fee to pay, study the "Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook" (available online), get your picture taken and finally take a fairly simple (I missed 2) 20 question test.

That's it; I am now finally legal to tow my trailer.

Hope this helps,

Jesse

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations!! Sounds easy enough and it feels so good to be legal.

DmaxWW

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure glad I live in Oklahoma. Class C all the way and drive what you want.

KE5NCP
2011 Chevy CC dually D/A, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Trailer Trash 2

Santa Fe Springs, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/09 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow !!! you were one of the lucky ones that succeeded in getting one the same day.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's crazy that it's required, but I agree, it should be. It takes skill to handle a 40' 15K fiver or any trailer of any real size. Not saying it will prevent any accidents, but might help someone learn something they didn't know.

Even though not required, I have my class A.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Raptormom02

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/09 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jsfromsd wrote:

If you tow a 5th wheel trailer between 10,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs GVWR you are required to have a restriction 41 endorsement added to your class C license.

When did this law come in to place? I thought you were safe as long as you were under 15,000lbs GVWR. What is a restriction 41 endorsement?

shifter

so cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/09 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Jesse, I went in yesterday to renew my license and asked for a restriction 41 and got the same treatment. Blank stares and saying I didnt know what I was talking about. One of the girls at another window overheard my arguing and said she heard of it but does not know how to process it. They made a couple phone calls to somewhere and an hour later I left with the endorsement. Gotta love the DMV. Should have never let my commercial class A expire!

Racorman

Santa Cruz, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/09 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jsfromsd wrote:

I know this topic has been covered in numerous prior posts but since I just went thru the process today I thought I would share my experiences.

I started my process at the DMV arguing with the nice lady that helped me and also her supervisor. Foe some reason they both were telling me that I needed a non-commercial class A. I explained to them that the non-commercial class A is for a 5th wheel weighing over 15,000 lbs GVWR and that the GVWR of my trailer exactly 15,000 lbs GVWR according to the sticker inside my trailer. Finally, they spoke to someone that knew what I was talking about.

The process from here on out was as simple as it gets. There is no fee to pay, study the "Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook" (available online), get your picture taken and finally take a fairly simple (I missed 2) 20 question test.

That's it; I am now finally legal to tow my trailer.

Hope this helps,

Jesse

Funny, I had the exact same experience as you.

AKA..... 56Nomad
2008 Lance Camper 1055
2002 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax/Allison 4x4 -Edge w/Juice and 4" Exhaust
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

jsfromsd

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/09 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4rvsearcher wrote:

jsfromsd wrote:

When did this law come in to place? I thought you were safe as long as you were under 15,000lbs GVWR. What is a restriction 41 endorsement?

4rvsearcher,

I really don't know when this came into law. I only knew of it from reading this forum or I would not have had a clue it was required. The endorsement allows out to pull a 5th wheel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 GVWR with a class C. Over 15,000 GVWR you need your non-comercial class A.

Jesse

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/09 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Similar at the Covina DMV but the supervisor knew where to look, still took a while. At first they said I had to take ALL my tests again, then they reconsidered. Then they wanted to charge me, then I pointed at the place in the handbook where it said it was free. Failed the first test but got back in line and took it again and passed. I've shared my copies of the test with others here so if anyone else wants them I have two copies I can email to you.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Towing 5th wheel 10,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs GVWR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts