|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Steerable Tag Axle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MCDDY

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just spent a week with our friend who bought a used, 05 I think, 45' Newell MH. Beautiful coach but very heavy. He hasn't weighed it yet. This thing has the steerable tag axle and it seems to turn on a dime for a very large coach. His thinking is that the tag pulls the rear end around making a shorter turning radius. The rear axle ahead of the tag is still the pivot point when turning, Right? Wednesday when we were leaving the RV park, he had to sort of thread the needle to get past some trees getting out of his site. Now his front wheel cut is huge, 55 or maybe even 60degree. Watching his rear axle which was near a tree and when he cleared the tree with the drive axle he could cut harder with the steer axle. The tag axle was already cut and then increased some as he made the harder turn and the rear came around away from the tree just as any normal coach would do. After he got out looked at the tracks in the fairly soft dirt/gravel and there was only the dual wheel print and no scuffing as a normal tag would make.
To me the physics of this is the drive axle is still the pivot point no matter what the tag does, whether it's liftable or steerable. The great handling comes from the large wheel cut on the steer axle and a shorter wheel base because of the tag. I've ridden on some Prevost tour buses that seemed to turn very sharply and had the steerabel tag, some turns that I wouldn't even think about attempting in my coach.
Am I right or way off base?
Dave

GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

Lone Stars

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct.

'04 Dodge CTD QC SB SRW Pullrite Superglide
'02 HitchHiker Discovery

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/09 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the way it was explained to me by an engineer that designed the steerable tag for Country Coach.

HobbyHauler

South of Nashville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lift the tag and it pivots on the drive axle. The steerable tag does not need to be lifted and still supports the weight on sharp turns without scuffing. The pivot point is still the drive axle.

Nice setup!

Les Stallings
South of Nashville, TN
2002 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38, ISL 400, TAG
Toad: 2003 Saturn LW300

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not make the whole rear axle steer:
http://www.rvtechstop.com/articles/allsteer.pdf

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the rear steering DP, The ball/socket on the rear axle is 1940's ttechnology and 29.5K makes for a small DP. With a front 55 degree wheel cut why bother. As for a steerable tag axle it does not change the turning radius and on something that puts 200K miles/year it might add up. Where it does add up on a Newell is the rear axle is already maxed out at over 26K lbs and a lifting tag would overload it. They did not go to all that trouble for nothing on the Newell.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

MCDDY

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your replies. Thought maybe I had missed something in highschool physics.

Davinet
If I remember right Coachmen offered a coach using that chassis & steering config in the mid 90s . Wasn't very reliable and cost was way up there so it was non-competetive. Seems to me like it would be sort of like driving a fork lift.

Ivylog
Yes the all axle steering is not new technology especially in heavy equipment. Also I've read many of the threads on this site about the overweight problem Newell has on the rear axle. Warned my friend about going to Ohio and using the Trunpikes. Heck, even my coach is just over 20000# in the rear if I'm full of water even though the axle rating is 22800#. Well within the boundries of the coach,tires,etc. but still overloaded at the scales.
Dave

timebum

Westlake Village, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove a Newell with the steer axle at the FMCA show in Los Angeles and one thing I thought remarkable is that you can make right hand turns from the right lane without hitting the curb. I did not believe it so the demo driver had me do it again. I also made a left turn from the leftmost lane. Cool.

Art

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daveinet wrote:

Why not make the whole rear axle steer:
http://www.rvtechstop.com/articles/allsteer.pdf
I had a tractor that worked like that. Four wheel drive too. But it did not like to back up because the wheels walked up and down and were offset like the ones on the front of a shopping cart. It is now in a transportation museum in merry ole England. Hoping they enjoy it as much as I did.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

rvjer

Palmdale, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/09 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timebum wrote:

I drove a Newell with the steer axle at the FMCA show in Los Angeles and one thing I thought remarkable is that you can make right hand turns from the right lane without hitting the curb. I did not believe it so the demo driver had me do it again. I also made a left turn from the leftmost lane. Cool.

This is not at all unusual. You can make a right turn from and to the right hand lanes in almost any coach if you know how. I have taught a lot of commercial bus and RV drivers how to do this in every thing from a 30' transit bus to 45' tour bus and 28 to 45' RV's.

Jerry
2003 35-E Bounder
2006 Saturn Vue FWD toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Steerable Tag Axle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS