Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Norcold 1200 LRIM recall: UPDATE

Posted By: jocat54 on 03/04/09 04:48pm

Just thought I would pass this on. We have a Monaco Diplomat with the Norcold refrig. I had checked the serial number before, but used the one inside the refrig not the one on the cooling unit. Didn't know they were different. Anyhow I called Norcold and the lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful and knew what I was talking about and explained it was the number on the cooling unit, not the one inside the refrig.

Turns out that the cooling unit needs to be replaced. Already called rv repair place to have recall done.

Might be helpful to put in the sticky that the serial number is the cooling unit # not the refrig # Would have helped me.

Well after alot of discussion with Norcold they finally sent a new cooling unit and it was installed today. It was really quite a job, not really hard just time consuming. I helped the mobile tech that came out and it took six hours to do. The double door refrig is pretty darn heavy. (Norcold pays four hours for the recall).

When I first contacted Norcold they agreed to send a new cooling unit. When the repair faucilty called with all the same info they were told that there (Norcold) records indicated that Monaco had already done the repair. Anyway after a few more phone calls they agreed that they didn't want to take the chance that it had been done and sent a new cooling unit. Sounds alot like someone got paid for not really doing the recall.

Seems to be working good.

John

* This post was edited 04/24/09 09:26pm by jocat54 *

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

John & Kathy & Gizmo (maltipoo)
1999 38ft Monaco Diplomat DP
Leakey, Tx (Texas Hill Country)

Posted By: PapPappy on 03/04/09 04:58pm

Yews, I had the cooling unit replaced last week. There was a bit of a back-order on them, but only about a week. Norcold was very nice about it, and also said that they will be sending a $50 gas card...for our troubles.

The number on the cooling unit is what Norcold wants, but the dealer may want the number on the refrigerator too, as well as mileage of the RV and the VIN. This is so that you can't go and claim it again down the road....I guess?

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Posted By: dougrainer on 03/04/09 06:26pm

Until about 4 months ago, the Cooling units were replaced per the recall notice sent out. They STOPPED replacing the cooling units UNLESS they had failed AND Leaked. If your affected refer cooling unit has NOT leaked, you do not get a new cooling unit. What they do now is install a NEW thermal jacket around the burner flue and install a Thermal shut down disc on the burner tube. Look at the NEW recall notice posted from Norcold below. Note the 4th paragraph I have outlined with extra quotation marks. They now state the affected refers will be REPAIRED (Thermal jacket and thermal disc) not have the cooling units replaced. I know this because I work at an Authorized Norcold service center and found this out last November when I tried to order a new cooling unit for a refer affected by the recall. Below the first recall I have posted below is the current Info for cooling units that have NOT leaked. The original recall stated that the cooling units would be replaced, they have deleted that on the current recall notice and state they will be "repaired". Doug

1200LR, 1200LRIM and 1201LRIM Series Models

Norcold has voluntarily recalled 1200LR, 1200LRIM and 1201LRIM model gas/electric refrigerators built from 1996 through February of 2001. Affected models have a cooling unit serial number (found on the solution chamber and viewed through the refrigerator vent door outside the RV) from 700000-1273700.

The defect is a potential cooling unit leak caused during AC electric mode operation. If a leak occurs, the refrigerator's cooling performance will deteriorate and a yellow powder residue will be evident at the cooling unit's heating element. Because extended operation of a leaking cooling unit in the AC electric mode may result in a fire, immediate repair.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause, and want to assure that your refrigerator provides you years of safe, reliable and dependable service.

"""""An affected refrigerator without a leak must still be serviced to have its cooling unit repaired to prevent any potential future problem.""""""

Persons owning one of the affected models should:
Turn Off the refrigerator. Do not use it until it has been repaired.
Contact a Dealer/Service Center to arrange a service date as soon as possible. The cooling unit will be repaired at no charge for parts and labor.

NEW UPDATED NOTICE

CURRENT COOLING UNIT RECALL

Norcold has voluntarily recalled the gas/electric refrigerator cooling units in models (N641, N621, N841, N821, 1082, 1200LR and 1200LRIM) found in RV models 1997 through 2000.

1200 MODEL SERIES COOLING UNITS EXTENDED RECALL

Norcold has also recently extended the original 1200 series of gas/electric refrigerator models (1200LR, 1200LRIM and 1201LRIM) found in RV models March 1999 through February 2001. This series of Cooling Units is repaired by installing a Thermal Switch kit.

To show our appreciation, we are offering a $25 gas card to dealers who identify open (i.e., unreported) recalled Cooling Unit(s).

To begin the process of checking if you or your customer’s Norcold refrigerator Cooling Unit is on recall, please click on Cooling Unit button.

Posted By: dougrainer on 03/04/09 09:13pm

Yes, I have heard of some Norcold reps that did NOT follow the new recall guidelines and did authorize a new Cooling Unit if the original had not failed. My point was to let people know that IF they decline replacing the cooling unit under the recall they will be following the new guidelines. So, you may expect a new cooling unit, but they may just install the new Thermal kit and Disc. The last 8 or so I have done in the past 4 months have been the NEW recall. But I have had a couple of failed(leakers) and they obviously replaced the cooling unit per the guidelines. Doug

Posted By: jocat54 on 04/24/09 09:54pm

jocat54 wrote:

Just thought I would pass this on. We have a Monaco Diplomat with the Norcold refrig. I had checked the serial number before, but used the one inside the refrig not the one on the cooling unit. Didn't know they were different. Anyhow I called Norcold and the lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful and knew what I was talking about and explained it was the number on the cooling unit, not the one inside the refrig.

Turns out that the cooling unit needs to be replaced. Already called rv repair place to have recall done.

Might be helpful to put in the sticky that the serial number is the cooling unit # not the refrig # Would have helped me.

Well after alot of discussion with Norcold they finally sent a new cooling unit and it was installed today. It was really quite a job, not really hard just time consuming. I helped the mobile tech that came out and it took six hours to do. The double door refrig is pretty darn heavy. (Norcold pays four hours for the recall).

When I first contacted Norcold they agreed to send a new cooling unit. When the repair faucilty called with all the same info they were told that there (Norcold) records indicated that Monaco had already done the repair. Anyway after a few more phone calls they agreed that they didn't want to take the chance that it had been done and sent a new cooling unit. Sounds alot like someone got paid for not really doing the recall.

Seems to be working good.

John

Posted By: jocat54 on 03/04/09 08:51pm

dougrainer wrote:

Until about 4 months ago, the Cooling units were replaced per the recall notice sent out. They STOPPED replacing the cooling units UNLESS they had failed AND Leaked. If your affected refer cooling unit has NOT leaked, you do not get a new cooling unit. What they do now is install a NEW thermal jacket around the burner flue and install a Thermal shut down disc on the burner tube. Look at the NEW recall notice posted from Norcold below. Note the 4th paragraph I have outlined with extra quotation marks. They now state the affected refers will be REPAIRED (Thermal jacket and thermal disc) not have the cooling units replaced. I know this because I work at an Authorized Norcold service center and found this out last November when I tried to order a new cooling unit for a refer affected by the recall. Below the first recall I have posted below is the current Info for cooling units that have NOT leaked. The original recall stated that the cooling units would be replaced, they have deleted that on the current recall notice and state they will be "repaired". Doug

1200LR, 1200LRIM and 1201LRIM Series Models

Norcold has voluntarily recalled 1200LR, 1200LRIM and 1201LRIM model gas/electric refrigerators built from 1996 through February of 2001. Affected models have a cooling unit serial number (found on the solution chamber and viewed through the refrigerator vent door outside the RV) from 700000-1273700.

The defect is a potential cooling unit leak caused during AC electric mode operation. If a leak occurs, the refrigerator's cooling performance will deteriorate and a yellow powder residue will be evident at the cooling unit's heating element. Because extended operation of a leaking cooling unit in the AC electric mode may result in a fire, immediate repair.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause, and want to assure that your refrigerator provides you years of safe, reliable and dependable service.

"""""An affected refrigerator without a leak must still be serviced to have its cooling unit repaired to prevent any potential future problem.""""""

Persons owning one of the affected models should:
Turn Off the refrigerator. Do not use it until it has been repaired.
Contact a Dealer/Service Center to arrange a service date as soon as possible. The cooling unit will be repaired at no charge for parts and labor.

NEW UPDATED NOTICE

CURRENT COOLING UNIT RECALL

Norcold has voluntarily recalled the gas/electric refrigerator cooling units in models (N641, N621, N841, N821, 1082, 1200LR and 1200LRIM) found in RV models 1997 through 2000.

1200 MODEL SERIES COOLING UNITS EXTENDED RECALL

Norcold has also recently extended the original 1200 series of gas/electric refrigerator models (1200LR, 1200LRIM and 1201LRIM) found in RV models March 1999 through February 2001. This series of Cooling Units is repaired by installing a Thermal Switch kit.

To show our appreciation, we are offering a $25 gas card to dealers who identify open (i.e., unreported) recalled Cooling Unit(s).

To begin the process of checking if you or your customer’s Norcold refrigerator Cooling Unit is on recall, please click on Cooling Unit button.

Could be, but the Norcold rep I spoke with told me to tell the repair
Shop that it needed a cooling unit not the thermal. She also indicated that it fell under the older? recall.

John

Print  |  Close