|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ALFA 5TH WHEEL BASEMENT AIR CONDITIONERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wanderingnomads

TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/09 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know where or who I could talk to to discuss about my basement air conditioner?

I noticed a few months ago when I turned my AC on that the only thing running was just the fan. There was no cold air. Now ,I"ve talked to several friends all with different fixes. I don't want to have to replace the unit if I don't have to. I 'm hoping someone out there can tell me somewhere to go to check this out. Not everyone wants to work on a basement AC
Thanks

WANDERINGNOMADS

* This post was edited 03/07/09 02:52pm by an administrator/moderator *

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/09 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checkout the Alfateers. They are a guys who worked in repair for Alfa and started their own business with the parts and knowledge from Alfa. Here is the link:
http://www.alfateersrvservice.com

The Alfa A/C is made by Coleman and if it works it works well. Mine has never been a problem. If it does not work there are a lot of reasons why and the Alfateers should be able to help.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Rvndave

Medina, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/09 03:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingnomads wrote:

I noticed a few months ago when I turned my AC on that the only thing running was just the fan. There was no cold air. Now ,I"ve talked to several friends all with different fixes. I don't want to have to replace the unit if I don't have to. I 'm hoping someone out there can tell me somewhere to go to check this out. Not everyone wants to work on a basement AC
Thanks

I would check to see if power was being sent to the compressor. If so I would test the run capacitor. I would visually check the run capacitor, top and bottom should be flat, not bulged out. You will need a meter that can read capacitance. I would also check the compressor windings.

Assuming all the above tested ok. If you have no power to the compressor. I would check for power to the contactor coil and load/line side voltage.

If you have no power to the contactor coil and there is a pc board I would check for power into the board from the thermostat, power from the 120 volt source, and any limits, high, or low pressure switches. After checking these things let us know what you find and we can go from there. Good luck.

2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Vitalady

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/09 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our basement in our 2003 also died. We had fried wiring. Several places could NOT fix it, but it was successfully fixed in Richmond, VA. However, they did not pre-auth the service with our CSP. The repair was around $800 for an $8 wiring harness.

Apparently there are two units. One main one (the one that fried) and a secondary. It also blew air, not warm with furnace, not cool with a/c.

Michelle & Don
Puyallup, WA
weekenders & 2 long trips per year
2007 Dodge 4x4 Ram 2500 Quad, Laramie,Diesel, 6 spd manual
2008 Grand Junction TMS 35.5

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/09 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two capacitors for your a/c compressor. A start capacitor and a run capacitor. The problem is either one of the capacitors or the compressor needs a motor kit.

Sundowner

04 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, ext cab, short bed, 4X4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325RKTS

wanderingnomads

TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/09 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you all for your help and suggestions. I will keep them in mind when we get back to Texas.
Gary
wanderingnomads

Rvndave

Medina, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/09 12:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sundowner1 wrote:

There are two capacitors for your a/c compressor. A start capacitor and a run capacitor. The problem is either one of the capacitors or the compressor needs a motor kit.

Sundowner

04 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, ext cab, short bed, 4X4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325RKTS

Not all a/c units have a start capacitor. If the compressor windings are open or grounded, a start capacitor and relay isn't going to fix it. Proper troubleshooting is cheaper than just throwing parts at it and hoping it works!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ALFA 5TH WHEEL BASEMENT AIR CONDITIONERS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS