|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Carefree Skylight Shade

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fishinrgv

NW Indiana for the time being

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/09 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in my rig full time and there is a security light on the skylight side of my 5er that is quite irritating at night along with the moon and my shower(skylght) is in my bedroom. Also now that the time is changing, when I want to sleep in till 6:15 on the weekends the sunlight will also be irritaiting as I'm a light sleeper.

I thought about just tinting the skylight but figured the humidity from the shower might not allow the tint to hold up very long and I know there would still be some amount of light coming in.

So do any of you folks have any pros/cons to the Carefree skylight shade? Any better brands for the price? Any other options?

Geaux Tigers...1958,2003 (I attended that game,) 2007, football National Champs
91 93 96 97 00 09 CWS Champs

09 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax DRW 4x4
08 Montana 3400RL 10th Anniversary Edition.
04 Harley Davidson Fatboy in LSU colors!!!
12 VW Passat SEL diesel

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/09 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made my own skylight cover.
1" aluminum J channel that's used for installing aluminum siding. Removed the screws on 3 sides of the skylight and cut pieces of the J channel the same length. Placed the J channel between the skylight and the ceiling and then replaced the screws which holds the J channel in place. That creates a slot. (picture # 1)
Then I cut a piece of paneling to fit the skylight. When we want it dark we slide the paneling in the J channel. When you want to shower or want light just pull the paneling out and you have light. (picture # 2)
The picture makes it look like there's a lot of light "leakage" but that's just because when I took the picture it was dark in the room and just the little bit of light really shows up in the picture.
I also did the same fix for the overhead vent in the bedroom. (picture # 3) Now with the shower skylight blocked and the vent blocked it's dark in the bedroom.

Camped in every state but Alaska

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/09 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife bought some 6" thick batting material that you would use to make a cushion, and cut it just larger than the skylight. I just force fits into the opening and blots out light. It only cost a couple of $$.

geeman53

springfield,ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/09 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW took a black towel, very close to the size of the sky light,sewed velcro to it and oppposing velcro on the sky light frame.The black towel blocks light out completely and can be removed easily.
Gman

Ford superduty, Drawtite 16K, Bedsaver, Maxxis ST, Heartland Sundance-"Buckeye Express"

Rubber Ducky

Central Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/09 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a quilted sunshade that you put in the windshield of your vehicle. I cut a piece out of it the size of the frame of my shower skylight. Then I had my wife sew seam binding around the rough edges to finish it off. I used velcro to hold it in place on the skylight. No more sunlight waking us up in the morning.

Robert & Tricia

donee

Ca. 93063/ Ut 84129

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/09 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to the local craft store and bought a couple of pieces of 3" foam squares.
Cut the pieces slightly larger than the vent and slide them into the vent openings. For us they seem to work fairly well.
We have five vents on our MH, including the skylight over the shower.
Also put one on the door.
They dont block out all the light but they do a good enough job for us.
We re also having the Day and Night shades replaced with darker ones.

donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
08 Monaco Monarch 30SFS
09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.

jones4110

Champlin, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/09 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a swatch of the material used on windshield sun screens and cut it roughly to fit over the inside liner of my shower skylight.

I have constantly filtered light through the skylight. Very neat and not noticeable other than less heat in the day and much less light during sleepy times.

Really easy install removing the inner liner, lightly taping material to the liner and then replacement of liner.

Joan and Bruce
05 Excursion 39L