|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much chlorine to add to water tank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/09 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ray,IN wrote:

K3WE wrote:

Why?
Contact with strong chlorine solutions slowly embrittle most plastics; why? Because most plastics are not formulated to withstand the chemical in concentrate.

That doesn't indicate any need to dilute your Clorox before putting it into your tanks, which you are about to flood with 50 gallons of water. Any contact between straight bleach and any part of the RV will be very brief. I have better things to do on a fine spring day than look for extra steps in sanitizing my water tank.

Joanne

Adam-12

6 LAND

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I notice that the grocery store has about 7 different kinds of chlorox. might want to try some with lemon scent?
bumpy

Lemon scent? Why would you want additional chemicals other than bleach in your water? I assume you're not drinking that water then, correct? Or are you showering yourself with lemmon scented bleach water too? The idea is just to kill micro-organisims, not to be bathed in liquid body deodorant.

Also, yes, it's 1/4cup per 15gal, not per 10 gallons. One doesn't have to dump all that water either. That's an awful waste of water otherwise. We generally use the 1/4cup per 15gal for washing, showering etc... but not drinking. For drinking, we use bottled water.

Silverado 2500HD Duramax DIESEL/4x4/CC/Z71
31' Travel Trailer
2 Honda EU2000i's (parallel)
ICOM 7000
Random wire, dipoles, verticals
Hunting/Fishing gear
Welding/Fabricator
Life endowment member NRA

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I completely agree with everybody who says that the appropriate ratio of bleach to water for periodically sanitizing your TANK is 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. Please note that I was congratulated on my mathematical prowess in applying this ratio, on the previous page of this thread.

But if you are adding 1/4 cup per 15 gallons to sanitize water that you plan to USE for washing or showering, that is far too much.

For instance, here's a link to the information that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides for disaster situations. The first entry in their table recommends that for sanitizing clear (vs cloudy,) drinking water, the ratio is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon.

For a 50- gallon tankful of clear drinking water that you want to sanitize, that would be 50/8 teaspoons, which is 6 and 1/4 teaspoons, roughly "1 to 2 tablespoons" that I mentioned above. Since most of the water that we put into our tanks is already potable, the full 6.25 teaspoons (i.e., 2+ tablespoons) isn't justified.

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.asp

Charles2222

Macon Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pour clorox in till it feels good,rinse until it smells good.
Charles
P.S.the teacher that says Ramon's lines hold two gallons,seems to me the cross section of the lines were not figured,or he has a long RV or some very large lines(needing lots of clorox)
100ft of .5in pipe will hold 1.02 gal.
(dxdxLx.7854div. by 231 by red neck figures)

* This post was edited 03/17/09 07:58pm by Charles2222 *

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adam-12 wrote:

Also, yes, it's 1/4cup per 15gal, not per 10 gallons. ... We generally use the 1/4cup per 15gal for washing, showering etc... but not drinking. For drinking, we use bottled water.

You don't need to add that much bleach to sanitize the WATER, that ratio is for the periodic sanitizing of the TANK. If you're not sure about the quality of the water you're using, you need only a tablespoon or two per tankful.

Adam-12

6 LAND

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joanne0012 wrote:

Adam-12 wrote:

Also, yes, it's 1/4cup per 15gal, not per 10 gallons. ... We generally use the 1/4cup per 15gal for washing, showering etc... but not drinking. For drinking, we use bottled water.

You don't need to add that much bleach to sanitize the WATER, that ratio is for the periodic sanitizing of the TANK. If you're not sure about the quality of the water you're using, you need only a tablespoon or two per tankful.

That's not what the "RV Doctor" (Gary Bunzer) says. Nor is it what several RV maintenance manuals say either. All of those sources say what the others have said here: 1/4cup per 15 gallons. A few tablespoons per tankful isn't going to kill any micro organisims. If your belief was correct, then why are so many technical books and "experts" (Bunzer for one) saying otherwise?

Adam-12

6 LAND

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/09 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ray,IN wrote:

There is a difference between sanitizing your water tank and disinfecting water for consumption. The EPA says 1/8 tsp per gallon for disinfecting drinking water. For sanitizing, they recommend a minimum 200ppm concentration for at least 30 minutes. Making drinking water safeis a chart for quickly determining how much bleach to use.

For they person that said they add bleach at higher ratios for drinking - read: EPA webpage

Ray,

Great link you posted with the chart. Thank you! I printed it out and will keep it for future reference! I will use that. I might reiterate though that when I fill up my RV's water tank, I DO NOT drink from it. Never have, never will. We don't even drink out of our tap water, let alone the front yard faucet with the green-line hose into the RV. The RV water tank is for washing/showering only. For drinking in the home OR the RV, we've always used bottled water.

Again, great link you've provided for us.

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/09 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of us sanitize our freshwater tank when we dewinterize, and perhaps if it's been sitting unused for a few weeks, especially if the water is untreated well water rather than city water which is treated with chlorine.

Your gray tank has just as much stink potential as the black tank, but sanitizing it will be undone as soon as it's used. So I'd say, just don't sniff it when you're dumping.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/09 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a difference between sanitizing your water tank and disinfecting water for consumption. The EPA says 1/8 tsp per gallon for disinfecting drinking water. For sanitizing, they recommend a minimum 200ppm concentration for at least 30 minutes. Making drinking water safeis a chart for quickly determining how much bleach to use.

For they person that said they add bleach at higher ratios for drinking - read: EPA webpage

donee

Ca. 93063/ Ut 84129

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/09 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any set rule as to how often this should be done?
Would it hurt anything to put some in the gray water tank?
The reason for asking is when I dump the tank, Iv been getting a faint sulphur smell from it.
Thanks

donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
2013 Berkshire 36Q
14 Jeep Cherokee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How much chlorine to add to water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing