|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RoamingGnomes

Toms River, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/09 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have 23' travel trailer w/dual batteries, no generator, dual batteries. Pulled with 1984 Dodge 150 Powerwagon.

Have been using Cpap with "shore power" no problem as would be expeted, but would like to like to start boondocking.

My quetion is available power.

The Cpap has a 200 watt power rating on the label although I do not know if that is when the heating unit on the hundifier tank is enabled or disabled.

The tech's at "Camping World" say there is no way to operate the Cpap with out a generator/shore power, even if I double the batteries to 4 units. I might get one night but the recharge time on 4 batteries would be hours and hours of driving/charging time.

Any sugestions as to what it takes to boondock with a Cpap or how to find/collect the information before spending big bucks.

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/09 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run mine on 12 volt but DO NOT turn on the heat in the humidifier. Has never run down any batteries. Had it 9 years now doing this. If yours is not 12 volt capable use an inverter but leave the humidfier heat off.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/09 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run mine on a 12v outlet that I had installed under the bed, connected directly (via fuse) to the 12v inverter output, which is directly to the batteries. I have two large deep-cycle batteries for coach power. After four years, I have never had any trouble running all night on battery power. My humidfier is 120v power only, so I do not use it in the MH. If I do need it, then I run on shore power. Some CPAPs do not have 12v connections, so have to have a small converter. I assume that this way probably takes more power than just the 12v direct input.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/09 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

I run mine on a 12v outlet that I had installed under the bed, connected directly (via fuse) to the 12v inverter output, which is directly to the batteries. I have two large deep-cycle batteries for coach power. After four years, I have never had any trouble running all night on battery power. My humidfier is 120v power only, so I do not use it in the MH. If I do need it, then I run on shore power. Some CPAPs do not have 12v connections, so have to have a small converter. I assume that this way probably takes more power than just the 12v direct input.

Right answer except that the Inverter has the 120V AC output and the Converter has the 12V DC output....

Inverter 12V DC ===> 120V AC

Converter 120V AC ===> 12V DC

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/09 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have ran mine in Yellowstone for a week and worked every night -- no shore power -- I have 3 batteries and moved camp sites about every 2 - 3 days so there was some charging from the truck while moving. No heater, just passover humidifier.

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/09 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above posts. I have four house batteries, don't use the humidifer, and run it on 120 AC from the converter/inverter. Although I could run it directly off of a 12 volt plug, I haven't bothered. We boondock frequently and never have had a problem, but I recharge my house batteries twice a day. The batteries have to power up quite a few options so we use quite a bit of battery power.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

w6pea

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/09 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoamingGnomes wrote:

Have 23' travel trailer w/dual batteries, no generator, dual batteries. Pulled with 1984 Dodge 150 Powerwagon.

Have been using Cpap with "shore power" no problem as would be expeted, but would like to like to start boondocking.

My quetion is available power.

The Cpap has a 200 watt power rating on the label although I do not know if that is when the heating unit on the hundifier tank is enabled or disabled.

The tech's at "Camping World" say there is no way to operate the Cpap with out a generator/shore power, even if I double the batteries to 4 units. I might get one night but the recharge time on 4 batteries would be hours and hours of driving/charging time.

Any sugestions as to what it takes to boondock with a Cpap or how to find/collect the information before spending big bucks.

I have a Remstar M-Series Bipap Auto. I run it off a 12vdc cigarette lighter plug that is mounted over the rear bedI also have this as a back up

I have a humidifier but I do not use it.
I added 4 additional coach battery's last summer we were on the road for a little more than 4 weeks, I had no problem running my battery's low we were always boondocking during this trip and we only stayed one or two days in RV parks. Other wise we were in the mountains with no hook ups. get yourself a 10w panel it should help if you add 4 battery's and are very frugal it will work. If you really want to boondock look into getting a couple of 100w solar panels and a solar system. look here.

Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

haup2020

Orange County California

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/09 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about sleep apnea therapy? I am assuming it based on wiki encyclopedia explanantion of CPAP machine/

* This post was edited 03/15/09 08:34pm by haup2020 *

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/09 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No heater, but I ran a test with mine and it ran for 84 hours constantly with my 1000 watt inverter. Still had plenty of power left. Was curious is all in case DW loses her head and we dry camp. NOT likely, but will try it one day.

charles weidman

Jeffe

Shady Shores, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/09 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out THIS THREAD (clickable link)as there is a lot of good information on 12v, invertor and passover humidifiers (no electric required) for CPAP's.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS