|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> need help-air card confusion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wanda573

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
I've been reading about air cards for months on rv.net, but I'm still not sure I understand what I need to ask for when I call to set up the service. So what do I ask for if I only need an air card when we travel. Our cell phone is a phone from AAA that has a cheap monthly fee(no contract)but charges 25 cents a minute. We only use it for emergencies. Now when we are on trips I would love to be able to email my family. So do I need to sign a contract with one of the cell phone providers to use an air card? What are my options? Thanks for your help.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Our unlimited (US)Verizon is $60 and is an old plan.

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AT&T and purchased the air card off of ebay. I don't have a contract on the air card, just call in to turn on and off. Not really quite that simple. At the present time it is turned off. If I decide to use it this summer I will need to call AT&T and get a new phone number for it, they will send me a new SIM card to put inside the air card. They charge me something like $10 for the new SIM chip. Then to turn it off, I have to cancel the account and lose that phone number. The number I used last summer with the air card, when I got home and didn't need the air card, I had the data program on that number ($60+ tax) changed to a voice line and added to my family plan for the $9.95 per month or whatever. I could use that same card if I needed the air card again but would have to get the Sim chip back from my daughter. Would be much easier to pay AT&T the $10 for a new chip and number. LOL
I wouldn't mind having a 2 year contract and a new air card if I had some reason to use it in the winter time but I don't. At $60 a month, I figure I save about $540 a year by owning my own equipment that I purchased from ebay for less than $200. They do require me to keep it active for at least a month each time I turn it back on. They won't allow me to keep the same number when the phone is turned off as the account no longer exists, they claim.
I would think Verizon would have a plan much the same as I have.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/09 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can get an aircard for reduce price OR free, but it requires a (2) year contract at $59 month plus taxes & charges

there is another post in another thread, where the poster said he bought his AT&T aircard 3rd party ( maybe ebay ) and uses it 3 months a yr for $70 month. Plus T&C

I don't know if verizon allows something similar. my memory says somebody posted something, but i can't recall anything specific

I do know verizon has 1yr and 2yr contacts, at $59.95 + taxes & charges, the only difference in the contracts is the price you pay for the aircard.

either sprint or t-mobile might be cheaper on the data charges, and might meet your needs for doing email, check their coverage against your travel plans , I think, one of them has a $30 aircard plan..

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

texasrvr

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/09 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up a Verizon air card after 3 years on a satellite internet setup.
They have 3 plans. First plan is a day pass which gives you 24 hour access for $4 for each 24 hour segment. The 2nd plan is a 3g plan which is $39 a month but restricts you to 3 gigabytes of data transfer per month. The 3rd plan is the 5g plan which is $58 per month which gives you about 5 gigabytes of data transfer.

Going over your plan limit (3g or 5g) will cost you about 25 cents per mbyte.

Both my wife and I usually average 2.5 to 3.5 gbytes per month and we run a small internet business and I take a lot of pictures for advertising and transmit them to my web site.

Transmit speed is good and if you have a laptop you can carry it in your RV when you travel and not depend upon hotspots or campground WI_FI. Both AT&T and Verizon have nation plans.

Just don't try to download long videos as they eat up a lot of bytes and you might come up short at the end of your plan month.

We generally use it at home but will be using it in the RV when we travel.

BTW: we live in a rural area so DSL land line or cable is not available.

As a current Verizon customer I got a $50 rebate on the USB aircard.

StevenH

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/09 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanda

Verizon currently has a month to month plan. $35 to start it up $59 +tax etc per month 5gb. I turned it off when we got back from traveling Feb. I will turn it back on in June for the next trip. Will cost me $35 to turn it on and the monthly $59. I saved about $180 by not paying for service in March, April, and May.

I purchased my air card used off ebay so I didn't have to pay the big bucks for it.

Verizon also had a good deal on a cell phone plan that you could tether the computer to. With that plan you could turn off and turn on the data service and not have to pay $35 each time.

This stuff sure is confusing. Just about the time you start to figure it out they change everything.

Good luck

Steve

97 Beaver Patriot 40'
3126 CAT, Allison 3060
Aqua Hot

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/09 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the info on the month to month,

i was not aware of it OR not remembering it.

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EVDOalex wrote:

texasrvr wrote:

They have 3 plans. First plan is a day pass which gives you 24 hour access for $4 for each 24 hour segment. The 2nd plan is a 3g plan which is $39 a month but restricts you to 3 gigabytes of data transfer per month. The 3rd plan is the 5g plan which is $58 per month which gives you about 5 gigabytes of data transfer.

can you please point us to a verizon site that shows these plans?

as i add any data device and proceed to plan offerings, i only see 50MB and 5GB plans as shown in graphic below:

I would like to see it also. Especially the $4.00 per day deal. I just recently spoke to 2 different CS Reps at Verizon and neither knew about the daily plan.

igor2brvn

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/09 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend and fellow RVer recently purchased the Verizon air card and broadband data plan with 2 yr contract. Verizon would not activate the account until he cancelled one of his existing wireless phone accounts - too many accounts open - like four or five. Verizon apparently has a limit on the numbers for personal accounts. This is probably an unusual occurrence since most people don't usually have that many cell phones activated at the same time.

From the peak of good living
Eager to be RVing
2011 Cedar Creek Custom 36RE
2008 Ford F-350 CC Lariat DRW 6.4L Diesel
"Ford makes it, International shakes it!"

AlexSian

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasrvr wrote:

can you please point us to a verizon site that shows these plans?

as i add any data device and proceed to plan offerings, i only see 50MB and 5GB plans as shown in graphic below:

miscellaneous tech ramblings @ http://alexsian.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> need help-air card confusion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS