|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Crash data

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tahiti16 wrote:

Ah I love he took the offramp to fast and rolled the unit, but it was the manufacturer or industries fault!!! What ever happened to personal responsibility?? Oh yeah trial lawyers!
The trucking industry has been harping about hitting off ramps to fast for years now. Do we ever hear it around here? Think we warn the new comers about them. Seems to me I've heard it here.

Oh, there isn't much up front in a cab-over or bus either.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Mc2guy

Burke, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/09 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mean to let facts get in the way of hysteria over RV safety, but I did a detailed look at motorhome crash data after I started hearing about how they were death traps. The data I found at NHTSA's FARS data base combined with the Bureau of Transportation Statistics vehicle use survey convince me that these stories are more hype that reality.

The data I gathered showed that from 2000-2007, thre were more than three times fewer deaths in motor homes than the "average" vehicle based on fatalities per vehicle mile. Only 212 people died during that period TOTAL in motor homes compared to over 300,000 for the general population.

Can manufacturers do better in construction design? Yes. Does it constitute a safety "failure" by the manufacturers? Not in my opinion, the stats just don't support that position.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mc2guy wrote:

I don't mean to let facts get in the way of hysteria over RV safety, but I did a detailed look at motorhome crash data after I started hearing about how they were death traps. The data I found at NHTSA's FARS data base combined with the Bureau of Transportation Statistics vehicle use survey convince me that these stories are more hype that reality.

The data I gathered showed that from 2000-2007, thre were more than three times fewer deaths in motor homes than the "average" vehicle based on fatalities per vehicle mile. Only 212 people died during that period TOTAL in motor homes compared to over 300,000 for the general population.

Can manufacturers do better in construction design? Yes. Does it constitute a safety "failure" by the manufacturers? Not in my opinion, the stats just don't support that position.

While your look at the data was more detailed I came to the same point of view. If it was not for over loading and then blowing tires I think the RV record would be even more safe. Rolling a MH or truck on a ramp can be done but not likely at the posted warning speed.

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mc2guy wrote:

Agree with you absolutely, not so long ago the news-tainment blurbs were about how dangerous they were because of wood and aluminum sheeting with wood paneling for interior. Partly they were right they didn't hold up to well in accident, but they didn't hold any worse than a school bus and we stuff those full of 50-70 kids with out seat belts even!

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mjghh wrote:

I have always wondered about this...especially after i crawled around under my RV to take a look at my F53 frame and noticed there aint much up front...............How do the Tiffins rate?

http://

www.kirotv.com/fatalflaws/15995323/detail.html

The forum had a good example of how well a Tiffin did a couple of years ago when a member survived a catastrophic head on with an SUV in Arizona. He was driving a new Phaeton it was totaled and there were a couple of minor injuries in the coach--both the driver and the passenger of the SUV were killed.
The poster provided pictures and the coach was mess but it held up well enough to provide protection for the driver and the passenger strapped into their front seats.
Frankly, I was impressed with how well the unit held up. Now, had the vehicle that hit the coach been a semi.....??????

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/09 11:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This topic has been a concern for years, as there is no data supporting seat belts or safe seating for children in a MH. I once heard the "lug-nut" theory, as presented by a para-medic. The vehicle with the most lug-nuts wins. Giving this theory some thought, I realize there is allot to be said for the gross vehicle weight. I have also maintained a driving rule of reading and following the recommended speed signs, regardless of how conservative they may seem. If it says 15mph curve, you will just have to follow my rig around at 15mph. Probably don't make friends, but I do pull over at every available turnout if there is traffic behind.
As for government testing and regulation. I will quote (or paraphrase) Ronald Reagan: Words you do not want to hear...I'm from the Government and I'm here to help. If crash testing was mandated, we would all have Styrofoam clad cabinets, auto shutoffs of the propane while driving. Remove the coach and put in bucket seats for the passengers. Loose the front TV, and reduce the total capacity to lower the center of gravity. Basically our RV's would look like brightly painted Bradley Fighting Vehicles.
Lets hope the RV manufacturers who make it through our economic burp will choose to build safe, well constructed rigs, and we as consumers will vote for safety with our wallets.
In the meantime. Happy Trails, and drive safely out there.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/09 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My personal experience: In 2007 we were driving our motorhome on I90 through Buffalo at highway speed. A Chevy Cobalt was in front of us and to the right. For some reason the driver of the Cobalt slammed on the brakes which locked up. She then swerved and spun the car around and directly into my path. Before I could even hit the brakes, I hit her head on. The Cobalt was totaled and my front cap was damaged, along with the exit door and a side compartment door. The occupants of the Cobalt walked away and we drove our coach home and then to the factory for repair. I would say the collision occured at about 120 mph combined and the damage totalled about $35,000 considering the totaled Cobalt. No loss of life and no spilled blood, just a few frayed nerves from a full frontal, high speed collision.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/09 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally..I DO wish companys were forced to make coaches "crash proof". Roll over proof...air bags for all seating positions...lap belts...and of course the much needed shoulder harness which MUST be buckled or the coach wont even start.

Side impact beams like in modern SMALL cars; LED lighting so that people can see my marker and brake lights..and mandatory head lights ON during daylight hours.

Run flat tires like they have now..so if I get a "flat" I can get on down the road to a truck stop or ?..to repair my damaged tire properly..etc...etc.

Besides making the base cost of an "entry level" DP cost nearly $350,000.oo...it would give me a good reason to GET OUT OF RVING COMPLETELY! And then I can use a tent trailer pulled behind my JEEP!

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

The Wedge

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/09 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I work in the auto industry and had for a few years crashed tested vehicles for a living (no, I wasn't one of the crash test dummies, although some of my collegues would say I was!). Yes, cars and light trucks are built and tested to very strict crash requirements and motorhomes are not. As far as an impact is concerned, mass wins - a.k.a. the motorhome will "push" a car out of the way. Like a bowling ball hitting a cue ball instead of two cue balls hitting each other. There is inherent strength in a motorhome (frame) just to keep itself together going down the road. Rollovers, however, are what scare me - car, truck, or minivan. I have seen slow motion video of rollover test in cars and the unbelted crash test dummy in the driver's seat tried to exit the vehicle butt first through the passenger side window. Belted ot not, in a motorhome all the stuff in the cabinets will be flying around causing injury.

Matt

semiretiredDIY

WA state

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/09 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MH are big, people driving cars see them, how many times have you heard when someone hits someone riding a bicycle or motorcycle, I didn't see them? I tie everything down when moving down the road, books or whatever left out will become flying missiles if and when you need to stop fast.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Crash data
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS