RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Mod to Hold Bumper Cap in Place?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Mod to Hold Bumper Cap in Place?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
matt7591

So. CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/09 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A rather modest question but does anyone have any good tricks to hold the bumper cap in place (the cap that covers the stinky slinky storage)?

I've seen a few caps online but I'm thinking someone has to have found a trick with the compression fit ones.

Thanks.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/09 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not my idea, I've just read it on here.

Drill a hole through the cap and drop a nail through it. Or a cotter pin or any other long metal object. The nail will not jump out and the cap cannot come off.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/09 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your bumper does not already have a hole or holes in it, drill a hole through the center of the top and bottom of the bumper at the end and drill holes that line up with those holes in the rubber cap. Drop a bolt through all the holes. Actually, with the bolt in place, you probably don't need the rubber cap. Basically, what opnspaces said.

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/09 04:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also buy replacement bumper caps (inexpensively) which are more flexible and sort of "pop" into place. They stay put very well - we've used ours for 3 or 4 years now. CW or other RV supplies stores (including those at dealers & CGs) are likely to have them.

jf504mp

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/09 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a long bolt thru mine (there was already a hole in the bumper) Then I drilled a small hole thru the retaining bolt and fasten a small chain to it. That way I don't misplace it while dumping....the chain is light weight. I did the same thing with the retaining snap rings for the sway bar tensioners. So far it has saved me from replacing them as I did the first couple of times, before I chained them......

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/09 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the nail/bolt concept on mine, but I made a lanyard out of some old bicycle brake cable with some electrical lugs soldered/crimped on each end and fastened one end on the trailer and ran a brass bolt thru the other secured with a nut. That way I won't loose my bolt. As mentioned with this if you use a bolt long enough to go thru both sides of the tube you really don't even need the end cap. Below is a pic of mine and would work on the type of bumper/storage tube you described.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/09 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never lost one on the road but have lost them while camper was in storage. I thing someone borrowed it and forgot to return it.

hpk

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/09 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, first off, I wouldn't recommend storing your sewer hose in that bumper at all. Those of us that have camped for a few years have learned the hard way, that putting the sewer hose in there is not a good idea.

What will eventually happen is this: Every time you put that sewer hose away, it will be somewhat wet from use. All that moisture in there, will eventually rust the inside of your bumper. Taking the hose in and out, eventually the abrasive, rusty surface in there will tear pinholes in your sewer hose, and you'll be replacing your sewer hose every couple of years. And, believe me, NOTHING is worse than realizing *too late*, that you have holes in a sewer hose! Talk about some stink, LOL!

I know some just replace their sewer hose every so often and don't worry about it. Problem with that is, like I said above, it really 'stinks', when you discover a 'holy' sewer hose too late. That, and I've even seen some trailers, where using the bumper too long for sewer hose storage had completely rusted out/rotted the bottom of the bumper. Good friend of mine just bought a used trailer, and now has the fun of having to get/weld on a new rear bumper, 'cause bottom side of old bumper has rusted/rotted to almost nothing, due to previous owner storing sewer hose in there.

There are numerous ways to solve this:

1. Build your own sewer hose storage place, out of PVC pipe, fence post cover, etc. Do some searches on here, you'll find lots of clever solutions people have done along these lines.

2. Coat inside of your bumper with a paint of some kind, that will prevent rusting

3. Install some kind of 'liner' inside bumper, to prevent rusty, abrasive surface from rubbing against hose

(Of course, with #2 or #3, you'd still have to address this issue with bumper end caps)

Anyway, hope this might help you or someone not have to learn these things the hard way, like many of us have.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

camperbuds3

NE Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/09 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kknowlton wrote:

You can also buy replacement bumper caps (inexpensively) which are more flexible and sort of "pop" into place. They stay put very well - we've used ours for 3 or 4 years now. CW or other RV supplies stores (including those at dealers & CGs) are likely to have them.

That's the kind we switched to after loosing one of my oricginals a couple of years ago. Haven't lost another since switching to them.

2006 Sunline T-2075 TT
2009 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/09 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redneck Chrome (duct tape) works. The locking kind that pop into place are your best bet though. Like this

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Mod to Hold Bumper Cap in Place?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS