|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pickup Topper Cots

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/09 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent many nights in our pickup's bed under a cab high and higher canopies.

Did not spend much on my lash up but sure enjoyed it.

Two sheets of 1/2 inch plywood. Cut so they will fit across the bed above the wheel wells.
Then more 1/2 inch plywood cut so it will support the deck. Deck to truck bed next to the Wheel wells and Deck to truck bed on the edge of each deck at the center of the truck bed.

Do not join the center as it should fit sung but allow sliding out one side at a time so you can use the truck without it. To make it a little stronger I added ends at the forward end of these. No ends at the tail gate.

I used home center angle aluminum metal 1/4 inch thick cut in small lengths and bolted with carriage bolts to hold everything together. Secure with a little flex is good.

On one side I built a 1/2 inch plywood open top box that ran full length of the bed and between the deck supports. Stored fishing poles and other stuff here. The box could be slid out to use.

The other side had 4 plastic home center totes with lids, stored food and clothing in these.
Bought one piece of 3/4inch Electrical conduit and put a two foot L bend on one end then slid it in first with the totes after, pulling the conduit would pull the totes out.

On my longbed F150 a queen sized bed would fit on the deck. We used an air mattress and foam pads I liked the foam pads best.

The lowered Tailgate made a great place to cook and eat from. Yet with canopy and trucks tailgate closed we were snug even in the rain.

Sorry I don't have pictures, and a word of warning using this resulted in our wanting and buying a T/C.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

RichandLiz

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/09 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent many of nights in college in the back of my truck (Nissan). Used to camp out in the parking lot of a YMCA I worked at starting at 6:00 or college parking lot. Bars until 2:00, short sleep, and ready to work. Also started camping / traveling with the wife when first married. Everyone loved when I slept over at work...I had the coffee already when they arrived. I took plywood shelf and placed it on 1/3 of the bed where the bed / cap met towards the cab. Under the shelf I placed some camping eggs shell type mattress which I slept on. This way I could sit up. Shelf was good for bags of stuff when sleeping. Cooler went into the front seats. By sleeping on the truck bed, I could sit up easily. A cot would have limited headroom.

Keep your eyes and ears open...You may be able to pick up a small TC for a good price. I love my tiny popup and I can stand up, cook, and easily reach a cold beer in the fridge.

DrDoom

Countryside, IL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/09 01:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about one of these??
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores........ct_10151_-1_10001_73567____SearchResults

2011 F150 3.5L EcoBoost 4X4 RC LB
2011 Dutchmen Sport 185DB
Pair of Yamaha Grizzlys 450cc and 550cc

Skipper Rod

Bellevue Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/09 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been sleeping in the back of my truck on fishing trips for 12 years until now!!! Yippie...just bought a Sun Lite popup camper this past weekend!!! Can't wait til my first fishing tourny!!!

jwadd

Fort St James, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/09 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having done the platform and airbed thing, I would take a good look at the Camper Cots from Cabelas. It looks simple and quick, which allows you to use the truck as a truck if needed, at any time during your travels. If you do decide to build a platform, make it high enough to slide your cooler, and other gear under it. Most importantly, have fun.....

2006 F350 SRW Superduty Crew
Firestone Air Bags
Tork Lift Stable Loads
2008 27BHS Hornet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pickup Topper Cots
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts