Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: picture of double towing

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/03/09 07:48pm

would any one be willing to post some pictures of your rigs hooked in a double towing? Thanks

* This post was last edited 04/03/09 09:41pm by AKsnowcampers *

04 Dodge 3500 2wd dually
03 travelaire 5th-wheel

Yamaha rhino 700

Posted By: SteveandLayne on 04/03/09 08:17pm

I would if I knew how to post a picture.

Steve and Layne Wilhoite
550 Ford Star Hauler
36' Elite Suites
14' cargo trailer w/trike or VW bug on tow dolly

Posted By: jauguston on 04/03/09 08:22pm

Double towing here in Washington State is not legal. I did my research and built this and it is legal. Connected at two points on the back of the Sami and the wheels swivel.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Posted By: Fulltimer50 on 04/03/09 08:22pm

Still have the truck

doubles

* This post was edited 04/04/09 08:28am by Fulltimer50 *

George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2013 Lifestyle LS37RESL 5th Wheel

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/03/09 08:31pm

Trying this to see if it works. Hey, I finally posted a picture!!!

This is from last W/E's camping trip. 67' overall lenght. Next W/E, I'll have a camera hooked up to keep an eye on things.

* This post was edited 04/03/09 08:44pm by Charlie Q *

'03 Chevy CC/SB,D/A,4X4, Airlift Bags, Bilsteins, Reese 18K slider, Predator programmer.
'06 Mobile Scout 31 BWFS
Yamaha 3000ISEB, Hard wired rearview camera from Rvcams.com

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/03/09 08:52pm

I can't post my pic from photobucket

Posted By: fj12ryder on 04/04/09 07:23am

* This post was edited 04/04/09 12:39pm by an administrator/moderator *

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Posted By: spkncarl on 04/03/09 09:02pm

AKsnowcampers wrote:

I can't post my pic from photobucket

Use this link with the img brackets....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/aksnowcampers/doublesinyard.jpg

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/03/09 09:11pm

thank you spkncarl

Posted By: spkncarl on 04/03/09 09:21pm

AKsnowcampers wrote:

thank you spkncarl

No problem...

You can copy/paste the link and go back to your original post, click on "edit" in the right hand corner to fix it. Then at the bottom click enter or submit.

Posted By: Rollincool on 04/03/09 09:27pm

Here is a pic of double, wait... maybe triple towing.

Posted By: jjlizzard on 04/03/09 09:54pm

That is one fine boat - who made it if I may ask.

jjlizzard

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/03/09 11:09pm

The boat was a comercial setnet skiff that was built in Kenai Alaska
in the early 80's and we built the cabin and the trailer, its been in our family for years. It's ugly but realy strong.

Posted By: WKAYL on 04/04/09 08:06am

Why show just 1 double tow when you can show 2 (Mine in front and brother's in back).

His on a narrow mountain road.

Another of his.

Mine at home ready to go.

There is no place to boondock in Colorado. Repeat after me, there is no place to boondock in Colorado.
2006 Dura Max LBZ
Reese 16K slider
30 ft Excel 5th wheel
2 Polaris Sportsman 500s, 1 Polaris Sportsman 700
? nose to tail when "Double Towing"

Posted By: fishinrgv on 04/05/09 09:55am

Charlie,

What a beautiful license plate frame

Geaux Tigers...1958,2003 (I attended that game,) 2007, football National Champs
91 93 96 97 00 09 CWS Champs

09 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax DRW 4x4
08 Montana 3400RL 10th Anniversary Edition.
04 Harley Davidson Fatboy in LSU colors!!!
12 VW Passat SEL diesel

Posted By: BiggerBen on 04/04/09 09:34am

oops, thought I could just post a pic, now I realize that it needs to be somewhere else on the web first. Doh!

* This post was edited 04/04/09 09:43am by BiggerBen *

2005 Kustom Koach Legacy LW275
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD SRW
DW, Sadie and Lucie (our dog and cat)

Posted By: jauguston on 04/04/09 09:45am

BiggerBen,

If you are trying to post from Photobucket click on the IMG option. That copies it. Then CTRL-V in your post will paste it. You do not have to use Advanced Post Form.

Jim

Posted By: BiggerBen on 04/04/09 01:12pm

Thanks Jim, I signed up for photobucket and I think this should do it..

Posted By: ChopperBill on 04/04/09 02:35pm

"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Posted By: Desperado359 on 04/04/09 07:54pm

I would like to see some pic's of the hitch setup on the 5th wheel.

1995 Ram CTD 2500 SLT, 5 Speed, 4X4, 3.54, ATS manifold. B-D 4" Exhaust Brake, 4" Exhaust, Mach 3 EDM's, 191 DV's, Street “O” plate, 215 pump, 3K GSK, Isspro EV. Boost, EGT, gauge set, 502Hp Dt 8/2007 5th wheel mods
2001 24' 5Th wheel Cougar single slider

Posted By: coachman05 on 04/05/09 06:50am

Desperado359 wrote:

Yes I would like to see some hitch pictures and also the wiring harness for tail lights.

* This post was edited 04/05/09 07:12am by coachman05 *

2008 8244 Rockwood
2003 1500 5.3 liter Silverado

Posted By: WKAYL on 04/05/09 08:52am

Here is the one on the camper I now have. It was made by a hitch shop before I bought it. I made one for my previous camper.

Posted By: jauguston on 04/05/09 09:00am

If you go to swivelwheel.com or smarttrailer.com you can see how they work. I built my own.

Jim

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/05/09 09:19am

Here are a few of my hitch and wiring. Everything was fabbed, installed and welded by a hitch shop recommended by the RV dealer.

I modified the front channel iron for the spare tire to have more room for removal and boxed it in the center.

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/05/09 10:02am

fishinrgv wrote:

Charlie,

What a beautiful license plate frame

Thanks,

We have more LSU stuff for the 5er than you can count. I did forget to put the new LSU sticker in the rear window that the DW wanted me to do yesterday though.

BTW, we live right across the Mississippi River from Tiger Stadium. We can hear when they score in our living room.

Posted By: fishinrgv on 04/05/09 10:26am

Absolutely EXCELLENT! I haven't been to a game since the 03 BCS Championship in Nawlins. Dad and I went. It was our Christmas present to each other. Take that back, I went to Gainsville in 06. Just got back from BR yesterday. Went to visit MaMa Betty who was in Oschner Hospital off of O'neal Ln, she broke her hip. Stopped by Tiger Mania on Drusilla and I-12 to pick me up a new hat and some television watching shorts. I've got the block letter LSU sticker in white on the rear window of the 5er and the same sticker in camo on the truck. I can't wait till September 5th. Get that sticker on that 5er ASAP

Geaux Tigers!!!

Sorry folks...now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Posted By: Mile High on 04/05/09 10:39am

Posted By: Mr. & Mrs. Snow on 04/05/09 02:11pm

This might be a little off topic but, if it's legal to double trailer in your home state do you have trouble running through some states where it's not legal?

Mike

Mike, Melanie & our two little angels

2000 Allegro Bay

Posted By: mr176 on 04/05/09 02:23pm

2011 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7 DRW
2010 Fuzion 398 Touring Edition II

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/05/09 04:32pm

Mr. & Mrs. Snow wrote:

This might be a little off topic but, if it's legal to double trailer in your home state do you have trouble running through some states where it's not legal?

Mike

I know some including myself that pull doubles in states
that it is not legal to do so. If I ever get pulled over I will
make the argument that I drive truck and have a CDL and pull doubles for a living, but I know that its going to be up to the officer
at the time.

Posted By: wellfooled on 04/05/09 04:45pm

Mike

I know some including myself that pull doubles in states
that it is not legal to do so. If I ever get pulled over I will
make the argument that I drive truck and have a CDL and pull doubles for a living, but I know that its going to be up to the officer
at the time.

Understand your arguments Mike, but in WA, they may not cut any weight. I know from the experience of others (including one guy with a CDL) that in WA, a state trooper can pull you over, give you a ticket, and make you unhitch the 2nd trailer, boat, etc. where you sit. I've heard of troopers refusing to allow a person to tow double, even if it's to get the rig out of the state. Had to take one out, come back for the other.

Nicholas and Sharon
2003 Jimmy 2500HD SB, CC
2011 Carriage 35SB3, Livin' The Dream

Posted By: fj12ryder on 04/05/09 05:08pm

I've pulled double in states that purportedly do not allow it, but have never been even glanced at. I simply don't worry about it, it's not life-threatening, only an inconvenience, albeit a possibly major inconvenience.

Posted By: lockdoc on 04/05/09 05:28pm

2005 GMC 2500HD, AirLift suspension, TrailerSaver air ride hitch
2007 Gulfstream Sedona 34FBRW
Yamaha 3000i genset
Rotax 912 powered parachute
Loving DW, DS& soon to be DIL, DD GS Owners web site

Posted By: WKAYL on 04/05/09 05:41pm

Mr. & Mrs. Snow wrote:

Mike

I could say I just don't vacation in those states. I have never had any reason to travel in those states to begin with so it has never been a problem with me.

Posted By: jauguston on 04/05/09 05:46pm

There is no reciprocity for double towing from state to state. A CDL has nothing to do with towing anything that is not covered under Commercial Commerce. Driving a RV for pleasure does not require a CDL and having one make no difference (I have a CDL). Some states have a non-commercial license requirement for larger RV's.

If you are moving a RV for pay a CDL and current DOT physical is required.

Jim

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/05/09 09:24pm

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/06/09 10:28am

AKsnowcampers wrote:

would any one be willing to post some pictures of your rigs hooked in a double towing? Thanks

Here's one:

Doug and Kathy
2008 Chevy 2500HD extended cab Duramax/Allison 4WD
2013 Cougar 327RES
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need RV Checklists?

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/06/09 10:33am

Charlie Q wrote:

This is from last W/E's camping trip. 67' overall lenght. Next W/E, I'll have a camera hooked up to keep an eye on things.

In many states 65' is the length limit. However, I doubt any LEO would take the time to measure.

A backup camera is a requirement in my opinion. I've had one in my last two FWs and would insist on having one even when not towing behind my FW! They are just so darned GOOD; much better than just the typical towing mirrors.

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/06/09 10:52am

adVentureMan wrote:

Charlie Q wrote:

In many states 65' is the length limit. However, I doubt any LEO would take the time to measure.

A backup camera is a requirement in my opinion. I've had one in my last two FWs and would insist on having one even when not towing behind my FW! They are just so darned GOOD; much better than just the typical towing mirrors.

Thanks for the information on the 65' limit in some states. We only tow the boat in Louisiana & Mississippi but if I did get stopped, I could pull the motor (only 25HP) off and put it in the boat.

On the camera, after getting it all connected this W/E, I pulled it out from under it's shed and hooked up the boat to see just how far I could see. I was surprised that I could see about 2' behind the 5er and about 20' behind the boat.

When backing it into the shed, I didn't need the DW to spot me, I could see and stop it exactly where I wanted it on my own. I did take it very slow to be safe but I was still amazed. What a difference.

I think I'm going to love this camera with or without towing doubles.

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/06/09 10:58am

Desperado359 wrote:

Don't have a picture handy, but the local hitch shop built and installed a Class III hitch on the back of my last two FWs. Cost was about $350 installed. Even though it's a Class III, the utility trailer with motorcycle I use to sometimes pull behind my FW only weighs about 1000 lbs with a hitch weight about 100 lbs.

I didn't think this was a do-it-yourself job.

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/06/09 11:03am

Everyone probably already has this, but here it is again; a link to a site that has info on "triple towing" sometimes called "double towing".

http://camping.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rvadvice.com

Posted By: trackerbrent on 04/06/09 11:11am

Here is mine. Tows pretty good. Boat does not seem to effect it.

TV- 2003 Chevy 3500 Dually-AKA "Betty Big But*"
Fiver- 1995 Jayco Eagle 211
Boat- Malibu Response LX

Posted By: 2007DURANGO325BH on 04/06/09 11:55am

2005 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
2007 Durango 325BHS

2009 PUMA 19FS (HUNTIN CAMP)

Posted By: Mile High on 04/06/09 12:54pm

man - this post has no mercy on me staring at the snow on the ground outside. I am ready for the lake!

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/06/09 04:01pm

trackerbrent wrote:

Here is mine. Tows pretty good. Boat does not seem to effect it.

Out of curiosity, can you see any of the boat trailer when you're towing down the highway? I pull a small motorcycle trailer behind my FW sometimes and cannot see a thing without my rear view camera. I had visions of having a flat on the motorcycle trailer and not knowing about it! Installing that camera gave me great piece of mind.

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/06/09 04:07pm

Charlie Q wrote:

Thanks for the information on the 65' limit in some states...........

I think I'm going to love this camera with or without towing doubles.

Hey, don't take my memory for that 65' limit. It varies from state to state. I rarely have to worry about the length since my motorcycle trailer is not too long.

Yep, those backup or rear view cameras are wonderful!

Posted By: BiggerBen on 04/06/09 06:18pm

I definitely use a rearview camera to keep an eye on things back there, cause I can't see anything behind the fiver unless I'm going around a corner.

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/06/09 06:26pm

what is a good back up camera to look for, and
how do you hook the wires form 5th to truck for the camera
or is it wireless?

Posted By: BiggerBen on 04/06/09 06:32pm

I have a wireless one I bought at Costco a few years ago, mounts on the licence plate holder, no need for any wiring (other than 12volt at the plate holder).

Picture quality is so-so, but I can tell that they second trailer is still back there which is all I was really after.

If you go with a wireless one, make sure it can transmit beyond the length of your fiver. I think in my case the camera is a little too far away from the display/reciever and the picture cuts in and out.

Posted By: becron on 04/06/09 06:39pm

ok

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/06/09 07:25pm

AKsnowcampers wrote:

what is a good back up camera to look for, and
how do you hook the wires form 5th to truck for the camera
or is it wireless?

I bought the wired system from RV Cams. This is the one that I bought. It even had suggestions on how to route the wiring.

It took most of Saturday to run the wires. I have the S-Video plug in the bed of the truck and the other end tie wrapped to my 7-pin cord.

We bought a wireless one but after reading and researching we decided to return it and go the wired route. The wireless only claimed a 19' range which wasn't enough for my needs.

Here are a few pics of the install and monitor.

I have rear cabinets and cut a hole in the cabinet to access the inside (covered after with a blank recepticale cover which is an idea I got from here) and used a fish tape to get the wire across the top of the rear and down the side to the taillight that I removed for access to the back. Then I just ran it under the sealed bottom of the 5er, through the front compartment and out through the hitch.

The monitor can be left on all the time or wired into the backup light wire and it came with a A'V plug if we want to hook it into a DVD player for movies when traveling. It has Infarred, sound and it's color.

Posted By: truckwheel on 04/06/09 07:51pm

Double towing in New York State is not legal. They will make you disconnect and pick it up later.

Posted By: MrIcemaker on 04/06/09 09:24pm

The photo below still has my old truck and old boat, buy you get the idea.....

My profile has a larger picture taken from the rear if you want to see it.

Mark
04 Ameri-Camp F321QBS (Sold - currently RV-less)
08 F-350 CC 4x4 LB PS 6.4 (Sold)
09 F-150 CC 4x4 XLT (Pretty much just for the boat!)
2007 Sea Ray 175 Sport
Honda EU2000I (x2)
RDS 51 Gallon Fuel/Toolbox Combo

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/06/09 09:39pm

charlie, nice install thanks

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/07/09 06:32am

Here's more praise for RVCams' rear view cameras. He is a great guy and will patiently explain the installation procedure to you over the phone. It's not really hard to do, like another here I spent about 4-5 hours doing it myself the first time. It's not hard work, you just have to be careful and think out the installation before you cut any holes. On my last FW I had the dealer install the camera and its wiring up to the "overhand", but I did the installation in my truck. The former cast me $150, the latter about 2 hours. I am still using an old B&W monitor I bought from him about 5 years ago. Unfortunately that model is no longer available, but RVCams can recommend something as good if not better. My monitor model was originally used in NYC trash collection trucks, and it stood up to that abuse well!

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/07/09 06:38am

"Double towing in New York State is not legal. They will make you disconnect and pick it up later. "

Like I said earlier, there are links to find out where it's legal. It's always smart to check with the state DOT/DOS also to verify that data. For instance, I would LOVE to take my motorcycle down with me to Florida, but I need to tow through AL and FL to get there.....in both places it's illegal. I did a lot of research on that, including verification that even those "swivel wheel platform" trailers are NOT legal there; those are still considered trailers. Even the swivel wheel manufacture I called admitted they are considered trailers in many states, but he was not aware of anyone who had been cited for use in those states. Heck, I've seen several "fishing" boat trailers behind FWs in FL between Tallahassee and Miami - but never seen one at the side of the road with red, white and blue flashing lights! Luck of the draw I suppose.

Posted By: Just Lee on 04/07/09 06:43am

Charlie Q.... Great install and I love the pics. I plan on going through the cabinets in the rear of my FW with 1 exception I am going to use molding to run the wire inside all the way to my front closet and then drop down into the front storage compartment. My question is how did you have it come through your pin box?

I am not going to double tow but I want to know WHO or WHAT is hiding behind me. Plus it will be nice to know if I am clear of someone I pass. I always use a spotter when backing so I doubt I will use it to much then but it will be nice to have.

If It weren't for flash backs I would have no Memory at all
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

2013 View Profile 24G
96 Tracker 4x4 Pushing a Mercedes.

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/07/09 06:59am

Lee in Tennessee wrote:

Charlie Q.... Great install and I love the pics. I plan on going through the cabinets in the rear of my FW with 1 exception I am going to use molding to run the wire inside all the way to my front closet and then drop down into the front storage compartment. My question is how did you have it come through your pin box?

In the front compartment, I was able to remove one section of the compartment "ceiling" and using the fish tape, I went from the pin box back to the compartment right above the skin behind the pin box. I hope this makes sense. It took me a lot longer to study everything and figure it out than it did to get the wire through there.

Posted By: myboys on 04/07/09 09:40am

Ocotillo desert runs.

* This post was last edited 04/07/09 10:50am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: travelnutz on 04/07/09 11:18am

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Posted By: jauguston on 04/07/09 03:35pm

Here is a good way to tell if the swivel wheel type trailer is or should be legal in the state in question. Take a look at the big ready-mix concrete trucks you see on the road. Here in Washington and in many other states they allow a swing down caster steer booster axle to trail behind the main part of the truck. It is hinged to the back of the truck frame and carries part of the total load using a lever arm and a horizontally mounted hydralic cylinder thus transfering some of the load to the caster steer booster axle. There is a similar arrangement now used on some big dump trucks. These extensions are not separately registered or licensed, they are considered part of the truck.

If that arrangement is legal in a state the swivel wheel trailer type device is or should be equally legal. It is the same thing. Washington State does not allow double towing and mine is legal. You have to know how to ask the questions (-:

I carry three pictures of the back of a ready-mix truck with a booster axle in the glove compartment of the Samurai just in case I run into a "Barney Fife" LEO.

Most LEO's don't know the technicalities of these things as they seldom see them. Do your research-I did mine.

Jim

Posted By: DmaxWW on 04/07/09 04:38pm

KE5NCP
2011 Chevy CC dually D/A, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Posted By: gmachine on 04/07/09 08:49pm

We often tow thru FL,AL,GA,TN,SC,MS,KY,NC&IN without any LO problems. Cannot post pic due to inability to use seperate website, but we are 69' not counting 18" bicycle rack on front of truck. Think if truck looks capable cops don't really care. An accident MIGHT change things.

Bering MD23(Cummins ISB)w/60" flattop Kenworth sleeper & 2005 Excel 35MKO Limited, 2006 Scion XA.

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/08/09 06:02am

gmachine wrote:

We often tow thru FL,AL,GA,TN,SC,MS,KY,NC&IN without any LO problems. Cannot post pic due to inability to use seperate website, but we are 69' not counting 18" bicycle rack on front of truck. Think if truck looks capable cops don't really care. An accident MIGHT change things.

Ha, you're probably one of those towing I've seen down in Florida! I just can't make myself try it though, even though I'm 90% sure I'd be okay with my little motorcycle trailer. But as a retired reserve PO I'd have a hard time doing that knowing it's not legal. I finally just gave up on the idea of having my motorcycle down there with me....I'll just spend those two months out fishing in my kayak!

Posted By: coachman05 on 04/08/09 07:08am

When we bought our 5er last summer I asked about towing a boat behind and what the regulations were on that. First I was told you can't exceed 70 total ft with your truck, camper and boat. Then later was told that the 5th wheel can not be more than 28 ft and the over all length of everything couldn't exceed 70 ft. Needless to say we bought a 26ft 5er just to be safe incase we should ever decide to tow a boat some day.

A few weeks ago friends of our bought a 33' 5er and are planning on towing a boat behind. I just told him that he better not get pulled over because he will probably get busted for sure.

Posted By: trackerbrent on 04/08/09 08:01am

Coachman05, that statute for 28' middle trailer was repealed in 2008. I have put a link below so your friend does not have to worry.

2008 MN Statute on Double Towing

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/08/09 08:08am

coachman05 wrote:

When we bought our 5er last summer I asked about towing a boat behind and what the regulations were on that. ..."

What state?

Posted By: coachman05 on 04/08/09 08:33am

trackerbrent wrote:

Coachman05, that statute for 28' middle trailer was repealed in 2008. I have put a link below so your friend does not have to worry.

2008 MN Statute on Double Towing

Interesting I didn't know anything about this.
I guess all he has to worry about is how he is going to make those tight corners when he is at 68 ft long. His problem not mine LOL

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/08/09 09:05am

2007DURANGO325BH wrote:

I've seen this rig/picture before........OilStates2003.........Different user name! LOL

* This post was last edited 04/10/09 08:40pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: 2007DURANGO325BH on 04/08/09 09:11am

Well if you seen that rig before i was towing it !!!!!

* This post was edited 04/10/09 08:41pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Charlie Q on 04/08/09 09:14am

I meant the picture mainly on DTR

Posted By: 2007DURANGO325BH on 04/08/09 09:16am

Charlie Q wrote:

I meant the picture mainly on DTR

Yeppppp.... I have others from this weekend also..We went to Lake End Park in Morgan city and had a great time ..
See Ya

Posted By: fj12ryder on 04/08/09 07:46pm

coachman05 wrote:

When we bought our 5er last summer I asked about towing a boat behind and what the regulations were on that. First I was told you can't exceed 70 total ft with your truck, camper and boat. Then later was told that the 5th wheel can not be more than 28 ft and the over all length of everything couldn't exceed 70 ft. Needless to say we bought a 26ft 5er just to be safe incase we should ever decide to tow a boat some day.

A few weeks ago friends of our bought a 33' 5er and are planning on towing a boat behind. I just told him that he better not get pulled over because he will probably get busted for sure.

I noticed you're in Minnesota. My BIL was stopped in Minnesota while towing his boat behind his 5er and told he was illegal. The LEO informed him that to be legal in Minnesota the 5er cannot be more than 30' and his is 31' 6". He has been doing this for quite a few years and this was the first time he has ever been stopped.

Posted By: becron on 04/08/09 07:56pm

here is mine

* This post was last edited 04/09/09 09:57pm by becron *

Posted By: lockdoc on 04/08/09 08:14pm

fj12ryder wrote:

coachman05 wrote:

I noticed you're in Minnesota. My BIL was stopped in Minnesota while towing his boat behind his 5er and told he was illegal. The LEO informed him that to be legal in Minnesota the 5er cannot be more than 30' and his is 31' 6". He has been doing this for quite a few years and this was the first time he has ever been stopped.

Wow.....mine is a 34' and I have not had any issues. Even stopped next to state trooper at the light once and he never gave me another thought.

Posted By: adVentureMan on 04/09/09 07:13am

lockdoc wrote:

..Even stopped next to state trooper at the light once and he never gave me another thought. ...

As a former LEO I never even thought about that towing regulation. I think the only LEOs who would know about it would be the state troopers who patrol mainly the highway, and maybe some sheriffs. While I was a reserve (50k population city) PO I don't think I even saw anyone double/triple towing in 16 yrs!

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/10/09 05:58pm

becron wrote:

here is mine

How long are you? I'm 74ft and i think you got me beet

Posted By: AKsnowcampers on 04/14/09 07:10pm

Posted By: Boatiac on 04/18/09 10:26pm

check my sig or profile. Added rear view camera a month ago.

Boatiac

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax, Ride-Rite Air Bags w/compressor
2008 Gulfstream Canyon Trail (Sedona Edition) 34 FBRW
2005 Honda Rincon, 2013 Polaris Rzr 800
1999 Bayliner Capri

Posted By: becron on 04/19/09 01:48pm

aksnowcampers it is 80' from bumber to propeller

Print  |  Close