|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Front curtain cleaning question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/09 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
I have a Newmar with an interior privacy curtain that needs cleaning. It is a stiff fabric of some sort with pleats. Can this be dry cleaned? Anyone have a similar curtain? And how do you clean yours? thanks, Kathy

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

2Divers

Lakeland, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/09 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI Kathy, yep, remove and take to dry cleaner. I have seen some posts that you can wash and press at home using some spray starch to set pleats. I plan on taking ours to the cleaners...
hope your trip home went well,

Bill

Bill (Driver)
BUCS (SCW) USNR Ret.
Helen (Navigator)

Furry Kitty Kids
Linus "Mr. Jealous" Lucy "The Queen" Peaches "I'm so Shy"

2000 Country Coach Magna 40

brinasmemaw

southern Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/09 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also washed mine. They are made of conventional drapery material, so something different might not work out well. Mine had some stains on them so I soaked them overnight in laundry detergent & Oxy-Clean before washing them. After laundering I sprayed mine with Stay-Flo starch, undiluted, to give them more body & make them crisp, then pressed them. They look like brand new drapes.

Mac & Becky
Seeing North America one mile at a time
2006 42' Allegro Bus towing a 2011 Cadillac SRX
2011 F350 6.7L Crew Cab FX4 & 2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape for Alaska trips

The Dunks

Madera, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/09 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Kathy,
Ours is made of curtain fabric, with pleats. I took them down and washed them on gentle cycle and then hung them back in the MH to dry. The pleats stayed and they looked great. I am, of course, not sure what fabric you have, so if in doubt, dry cleaning is probably the best choice.

The Dunks - Terry and Steve
'05 Endeavor - The Oasis
'10 Jeep Liberty
In God We Trust

Burro

U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/09 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took ours down, stretched them out on a picnic table, wet them down and scrubbed them with a soft brush and Oxy-Clean. then we hosed them off, repleated them, put a big rubber band around them (loosely) and hung them on the clothesline.

Once they were dry, they looked brand new.

Don Don

Pleasant Grove, AL {Suburb of Birmingham}

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/09 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Dry cleaner who does Drapes.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/09 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

We just had ours "cleaned" by the local dry cleaner. I figured $10, $20 bucks tops. Wifey brings 'em down and she's told it's $3.00 per pleat!!! But she'll only charge us $2.50 per pleat. Wifey leaves them there...total bill is about $75.00!

Ours are "regular curtains" with a liner. They had a water stain on them from a leak we had early in the life of the motorhome. As it turns out, the lady says the dry-cleaning didn't take out the water mark anyway! Grrrrrr!

Next time...into the washing machine they go. If they don't make it...they'll get replaced.

Ours had those "curtain hook" thingies that stick into the pleats on the curtain side and loop into the slides on the rail. The rail and slides stay on the motorhome, the curtain hooks some down with the curtain and then are removed for cleaning...then stuck back in.

Good Luck,

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22 (Class A)
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (17-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (12), 2 boys (13 & 10).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/09 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. A follow-up question. OK, now that I've decided to take down the privacy curtains, I don't see how to get them down. There is a rail that holds the "hooks", simple enough. I figure just slip the grommets out of the metal clip type hooks. But no, those metal clips are pressed tight around the grommet. The only way to get the drape down, is to use pliers (or some tool) to open the "hook" enough to remove the drape. What a pain. I looked at the rail, thinking I could slide the hooks off the end- but again, no, the rail goes into the decorative cornice. Any suggestions? This is beginning to look like a more difficult and time consuming project than I anticipated. I feel like a dummy- can't even take down the drapes!!!!!!!!!!!! Kathy

Burro

U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/09 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the track loose on one end, managed to get one end below the cornice and slid the curtains off.

Not saying it wasn't a pain, because it was, but they look so darn nice now. It was worth it.

Those stiff things are very difficult to handle. I don't know if either one of us could've done it alone. You probably need to recruit some help!

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/09 01:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen two types of pleated MH curtains. The stiff ones we saw in a Journey were made of a material similar to the day/night shades. The other type is a pleated true woven fabric, sometimes with liner. The woven fabric ones aren't too stiff and many are probably supposed to be dry cleaned. I washed ours, they shrunk lengthwise but were too short anyway so I added a fabric band to the bottom made out of poly lining fabric. I wash still wash and iron them. The stiff type may not be able to be machine washed, dryed or dry cleaned. I'd see if you can find out from the manufacturer what the correct method is. I'd guess, as one poster suggested you could spread them on a plastic table cloth outside or in a bath tub and gently wash & rinse them. I'd not put them in a washer until you know for sure what method is correct.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Front curtain cleaning question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: