Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Ford v10 blowing coil packs and plugs(got it fixed)

Posted By: Bishops on 04/14/09 07:01pm

My 99 ford v10 blew out another plug and coil pack. It makes the 3rd one in a year. Could it be that the exhaust is holding to much back pressure? Any advice?

* This post was edited 04/16/09 07:30pm by Bishops *

Posted By: kamper00 on 04/14/09 07:13pm

Same plug or different?
There are kits out there to permanently fix the issue, similar to a Helicoil kit.

Posted By: surveyorjp on 04/14/09 07:18pm

I think blowing coil packs and plugs out is a fairly common complaint of the Ford v10s of that era. I have read that the heads don't have enough threads for the plugs, and over tightening can strip them out or weaken them considerably leading to thread failure and plugs blown out. There are repairs available, check at a Ford dealer, or a trusted auto parts store or mechanic.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

Posted By: Bishops on 04/14/09 07:21pm

Ford has checked threads and they are fine. A friend works for ford and he took it and just had them check the threads.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/14/09 07:13pm

My computer messed up and I had double posted. One had replied and said check for coolant leak, I had already checked and everything was good on that end.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/14/09 07:17pm

I have tried different plugs. What is the kit,where can I find it. We are leaving on our first voyage with new(to us)5ver. Its only about a 2 1/2hr drive.

Posted By: Fiverwheel on 04/14/09 09:09pm

For anyone interested here is a website that will repair Ford plug problems.
Blownoutsparkplug.com will get you to a guy who specializes in V 10's. He will come to you and do the job and guarantee the work for a fraction of Ford dealer prices. (I have no financial connection to this service).

2006 34' Monaco Cayman

Posted By: skipnchar on 04/14/09 08:21pm

Bishops wrote:

I have tried different plugs. What is the kit,where can I find it. We are leaving on our first voyage with new(to us)5ver. Its only about a 2 1/2hr drive.

You've tried DIFFERENT plugs? That just COULD be your problem. Stick with OEM and put in the kit that prevents THEM from blowing again. I would also recommend that only someone that really knows what they're doing should be changing the coilover spark plugs. It's a far different procedure than regular plugs. Took them all day and part of the next to do my 100,000 miles tune up at the Ford dealer.
Good luck / skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: 02super250 on 04/14/09 08:00pm

Normally the threads will be fine it comes from the head getting hot then cooling and the plug loosens up and then pops out and thats putting it mild.Had that happen to me on my 2002 v-10 took it to a ford dealer and they did the helicoil. But they also said its not a authorized ford fix.

2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 CC DRW Powerstroke 3:73,LineX,Duraflaps on all four corners,BAK Flip F1.
2011 Keystone Alpine 3640RL

Posted By: surveyorjp on 04/14/09 08:12pm

Bishops wrote:

Ford has checked threads and they are fine. A friend works for ford and he took it and just had them check the threads.

If you have plugs and coil packs blowing out, I beg to differ with your friend or "Ford" about your threads being "fine". You need to do a google search about this, and perhaps take a printout to your friend showing that this is a common complaint. Either your friend and his dealership really don't know, or they are blowing you off. Either way, this is a fairly common complaint and there are repair kits available. Good luck!

Posted By: flybaby_3 on 04/14/09 07:23pm

Was a common problem prior to 2000 model year. The 4.6 and 5.4 had the same problem. Has to do with the number of threads in the cylinder head. 2000 and up have different cylinder heads with more threads. Still happens occasionally on the later models. Any auto parts supplier should be able to set you up with a repair kit. I've heard Snap-on tools sells a kit too but very pricey.

2001 was a good year!
2001 Ford F250 Super Duty SC, V10
2001 Prowler 26H

Posted By: Redoildoctor on 04/14/09 10:06pm

racer4 wrote:

More info here

Not related to OP concern. He has a 99. Those plugs werent used until 2004.

As per Technical Service Bulletin 07-21-2 Ford recommends LOCK-N-STICH aluminum insert for non-warranty repairs for your concern. Visit your local dealer to obtain the kit.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 04/14/09 07:29pm

Just get all the treads repaired now and be down with worrying when the next one is going to blow is one thought.

Posted By: racer4 on 04/14/09 08:25pm

More info here

2007 GMC Sierra Classic Duramax/Allison CC LB | Kelderman 2-Stage Rear Air Ride | Westin Platinum Oval Steps | Access Lorado Tonneau Cover | Line-X | Duraflaps
1998 SunnyBrook 30DB

Posted By: LAdams on 04/15/09 08:48pm

From what I understand from reading on the Ford Truck Enthusiast V-10 forum, replacing plugs in ANY V10 is more an art form than a mechanical issue... Torque is very important and there is a very methodical procedure for changing them which includes almost a "clean room" technique...

And torque is very important when installing plugs into a V10 - you don't just "snug it up til it feels right" on these motors... If you or your mechanic aren't doing it that way, your definitely contributing to the problem...

I have about 45K on mine (a 2000) and so far so good... I was considering changing plugs because of the age of them as opposed to miles but I've decided for better or worse to leave well enough alone... Not only is it a critical procedure but getting to those two back plugs looks like a bit of a magic trick...

Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

Posted By: mkirsch on 04/15/09 08:50am

There is NO WAY on God's green earth that the threads are "okay" if the plugs are blowing out of the head!!! They have to be stripped out.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

Posted By: skeetshooter25 on 04/15/09 07:56pm

here is what I know the auto shop that i work at the only time we see blown out v-8 or v-10 spark plugs is after a tune up, not tight enough or over tighten to damage the threads. and yes the thread count is few, we repair with a special tool set that cuts and re threads for a helacoil that is a perment fix and alot cheaper than replacing the head. this repair is a two to three hour charge

2005 Ram 3500 dual wheels 4x4
2006 Cambridge 361 rls onan gold 6500,
covered pull thru with full hook up's

Posted By: surveyorjp on 04/15/09 06:21pm

Bishops wrote:

I took the truck to a local shop that another friend of mine runs. He took a miniture camera in the plug hole and show threads still there just not enough to grab. We tried the helux thing but hole was not big enough to put a socket on it. tomorrow he is going to weld a extension on the taping tool.I hope it works because we are supposed to leave with the fiver friday morning for the weekend.

Sounds like this friend is on the right track. Good luck and keep us posted how the repairs go!

Posted By: shadows4 on 04/15/09 07:06pm

Go to www.ford-trucks.com

Scroll down to the V10 forum and do a search. Lots of info on there. I believe there is a company that make a kit called a Time-sert. This is a permanent fix and much cheaper than replacing the head which is the only other alternative. Good luck ,John

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 151,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

Posted By: shadows4 on 04/19/09 06:51pm

ehaccurate@sbcglobal wrote:

This sparkplug blowout is very common to the Ford 99-2003 V-10 .I just had the 2nd plug blowout in March.The first one blewout at 36,000 miles and 2nd one at 46,000 miles I had this one repaired by a mechanic I found at this website ( blownoutsparkplug.com ) He claims he has a fix for this problem. It cost me $800.plus his airflight.Take a look at his website and call him say Gene from Ohio sent you.

I'm in the wrong buisness!

Posted By: Redoildoctor on 04/15/09 09:44pm

Bishops wrote:

Sorry it is a helicoil not helux that is being done. This issue has became a pain in the butt. He is welding a extension to the tool tomorrow b/c the socket that goes over the tool won't fit in the port hole. Hopefully me and the family will be on the road friday morning.

I hope its not helicoil. I have seen those fail on both the 5.4L and the 6.8L. Use the time-sert or the Ford recommended Lock-N-Stich.

Timesert

Lock-N-Stitch

* This post was edited 04/15/09 10:12pm by Redoildoctor *

Posted By: Bishops on 04/16/09 07:28pm

Truck is hooked to 5ver ready to pull out in the morning! I hope everything goes well on first trip this year. thanks for all your input. Pray for us.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/19/09 05:07pm

Just got home from the weekend trip, ran the truck 120 miles each way. It has done great the helicoil stayed put. My truck flashed a egr vavle code saying it was stuck open. Truck got 8.5 mpg I didnt think that was bad since we live in the hills.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/26/09 07:55pm

Did this guy fix every plug hole in the heads? Thats high mine was $30.00.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/15/09 07:25pm

This helux thing is supposed to be a final fix.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/15/09 08:54pm

Sorry it is a helicoil not helux that is being done. This issue has became a pain in the butt. He is welding a extension to the tool tomorrow b/c the socket that goes over the tool won't fit in the port hole. Hopefully me and the family will be on the road friday morning.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/15/09 06:53pm

Yes I will, im worried we will miss our mayden voyage with the 5ver. Pray for us!

Posted By: Bishops on 04/15/09 04:43pm

I took the truck to a local shop that another friend of mine runs. He took a miniture camera in the plug hole and show threads still there just not enough to grab. We tried the helux thing but hole was not big enough to put a socket on it. tomorrow he is going to weld a extension on the taping tool.I hope it works because we are supposed to leave with the fiver friday morning for the weekend.

Posted By: Bishops on 04/15/09 04:53pm

Yes, I do use oem plugs(motorcraft).

Posted By: ehaccurate@sbcglobal on 04/19/09 01:36pm

This sparkplug blowout is very common to the Ford 99-2003 V-10 .I just had the 2nd plug blowout in March.The first one blewout at 36,000 miles and 2nd one at 46,000 miles I had this one repaired by a mechanic I found at this website ( blownoutsparkplug.com ) He claims he has a fix for this problem. It cost me $800.plus his airflight.Take a look at his website and call him say Gene from Ohio sent you.

Posted By: dirtbag3 on 05/01/09 06:18am

parapants wrote:

I had a 2001 V10... I lost 6 coil packs in a year... A friend of mine works for ford and said there was a *silent* recall on the coil packs... I kept getting cracks in mine... Id go into my dealer and give them a little talk if I were you.
The only conspirisy (spark plugs)on Fords part was not letting ham-fisted mechanics know of the way to maintain these new-fangled aluminium headed motors.The coil packs go bad if the rubber seal is violated by water. It will crack and miss fire.
Mine has had two plug changes, (100k and 155k). Absolutly no problems yet.
My BIL has 275k on a 99 5.4l with no problems either.
As said before most are due to lack of or improper maintenance.

F350 V10 4x4 CC DRW 186k
06 25fsk Stellar
1999 Ranger 289k

Posted By: parapants on 04/30/09 07:06pm

I had a 2001 V10... I lost 6 coil packs in a year... A friend of mine works for ford and said there was a *silent* recall on the coil packs... I kept getting cracks in mine... Id go into my dealer and give them a little talk if I were you.

2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 4X4 D/A DRW
Edge Evolution, 2000W 12V-120V inverter
Scorpion bedliner, B&W companion hitch
2008 Keystone Fuzion 362
2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser behind TH

Posted By: Bishops on 04/30/09 08:00pm

I have ran the truck about 1k miles it seems to be doing great.

Posted By: eightrac on 04/30/09 12:55pm

I know this is an old thread but....

Always, Always, Always remember to use anti-seize. Iron and aluminum do not mix.

TORQUE THE PLUGS TO 11 FT.LBS. No more, no less.

Only use factory style plugs. Multi-electrode plugs just create issues with the multi-strike ability of the coil-over-plugs.

Posted By: prairieguy on 07/07/09 09:22pm

The real problem with Ford's 2v spark plugs originates from the removal of the original black rolled steel spark plugs while engine was warm, or left for too long. When replacing, never ever apply anti sieze to aluminum where high heat is incurred, this can almost weld the plug in place. I would sugest using a NGK iridium plug for all apps as they are treated with anti corrosion coating, and NGk supplies 90% of OE applications now. AND always make sure each hole is clean of debris before removal, and just prior to install. I have been a technician for 15 years now and have yet to loose a ford plug. Never been a concern for me and I own a 99 v10.
PS. all 2v motors had the same thread count and all have had the same issue. Newer 3 valves is a another story all together.

* This post was edited 07/11/09 08:32pm by prairieguy *

Print  |  Close