RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Outfitter trip report:In Search Of Farctic Ox

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter trip report:In Search Of Farctic Ox

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/09 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I first read about it in the paper, you know, the paper that's about to go extinct. And like the Farctic Ox they can't be replaced. But that's another story. I couldn't believe my eyes as I read the Farctic article and not wanting to miss the chance of a lifetime off we went...in search of Farctic Ox!
[image]

It took a little bit of looking as the Farctic Ox are known for finding out of the way places to relax in the sun. And even though I had a "heads up" as to their location we still had to do some searching. But find them we did and much rejoicing followed. It didn't take long to realize I had indeed found a brother-from-another-mother and his absolutely fantastic wife. And as we sat and got to know each other we became very animated...or maybe it was the beer, nah, it was the good company.
[image]

It was a great spot along the Salt River just as the news had said.
[image]

And after a few beers it had us boys with our heads on backwards, and was quite a while before we were able to get our heads straight again.
[image]

With the goofing out of the way it's time to be serious, well we'll try. So as a cloudy evening is coming on we find ourselves standing around the "Farctic Circle", as I have dubbed the fire ring. And yes Whazoo, we see the burgers and dogs on the grill, and we're glad you're sooo hungry after your search.
[image]

[image]

Well it rained all night but the sound of rain on a camper roof is so relaxing and of course, the desert always needs rain so we didn't complain...yet. In the morning I had this great idea to move off to a higher locale with awesome views of lakes and mountains, sounds more like Montana huh? But first we had to get Farctic thru this low hanging bridge.
[image]

As we motored on higher and higher we noticed...snow. My allergies to the stuff were kicking in and I was starting to feel like a goon (insert your own word here), but was hopeful for some good weather. (Yeah, like REAL hopeful!)
[image]

Parked on a cliff, how would you know?
[image]

[image]

And yes, there ARE mountains there too, I swear!
[image]

Ahh, a peak-a-boo view is starting to show.
[image]

[image]

And again, there was much rejoicing, but still with coats and gloves.
[image]

[image]

I was thinking this could be Africa on safari, Arizona has so many different looks.
[image]

[image]

Mrs. Farctic is quite the photographer, and making use of the clearing skies and local flora and fauna, picture that!
[image]

And they say things are bigger in Texas. Well, I don't think they can top our desert asparagus, take a look at this veggy...
[image]
Ok, it's not really an asparagus, though it does look like one to me. It IS a stalk coming to bloom of a century plant and will have the brightest yellow flowers possible. Come back in June to see.

Still not looking like Arizona yet, we're still here, waiting.
[image]

Being teased quite a bit by the weather we made use of all breaks in the storm for...pictures.
[image]

[image]

Finally Mother Nature signaled us with her beacon that things were about to improve, and make me look good to the Farctics for taking them to my secret location.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

What a great place to sit and choke down some cowboy coffee, guaranteed to put lead in your pencil and take the hitch outta yore get-along. Well, ok. It's not all that great, smiling with grounds in your teeth. And Farctic's New England Brew is just as good, but out here in the west it sure sounds like it ought to be good.
[image]

[image]

This here is the view of the century, pun intended.
[image]

[image]

[image]

So the next morning, after cowboy coffee, we are headed for ruins. By now you know, that's what we do out here, head for ruins, like the economy. And the weather is absolutely perfect.
[image]

[image]

[image]

A rare glimpse of the Farctic Ox couple in their natural habit, the great outdoors. I certainly consider this picture to be "wall worthy"!
[image]

[image]

And doing what they do best, hiking and climbing. I mean these folks do not back down!
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Farctic is assuming the Whazoo pose...I like it!
[image]

FINALLY, after much sweat and tears, sorry no blood, we have the first view of "The Ruins." With Mrs. Whazoo just visible up the trail.
[image]

Pretty fandamntastic if you ask me. Wonder if my house will last 900 years. Ah...no.
[image]

Here we have a "squatter", he doesn't know how far he has to go for pizza yet though...or beer.
[image]

These ruins were once two story, and one section three stories with some floor timbers still holding up. Awesome!!
[image]

Here is a metate, the grinding stone used to grind...stuff. I don't know exactly what stuff, I never studied orthinology, but a lot of stuff.
[image]

[image]

So now that we've been "ruined" and it's getting late, time to head down canyon.
[image]

Like Alice In Wonderland, Mrs. Whazoo disappears down a hole. What a hike this is as we work our way back to the tc.
[image]

When Mrs. Whazoo, Farctic and Mrs. Farctic do this climb they look good. When I do it I tend to think "Rope A Dope." It has nothing to do with being born backwards and therefore climbing...backwards. It is very hard to do though. Please, don't "picture that".
[image]

[image]

[image]

That night back at camp was fairly magical and hard to describe. Mrs. Farctic invented a new tequila drink and dance to go with it at the same time, as there was no blender to mix the drink, hence "the dance". We have named the drink and dance both the Rockerita. My daughters will be happy to know I no longer have to do the Alligator at weddings since I have a new dance. A big thank you goes out to Mrs. Farctic! And dinner, WOW! Pizza and a magic salad, salad by Mrs. Farctic, around the "Farctic Circle" while Mother Nature put on an ostentatious display of stars. After dinner Farctic himself regaled us with stories of past trips, this gentleman has been around, and has more tales to tell than...Whazoo. It was mesmerizing and like I say, it was magical and that's the story I'm sticking to. And I'll tell you right now, I gained a few pounds even with all the hiking, and don't know how the Farctics stay so trim, except that everything they eat is healthy. While I follow up health food with, doughnuts!!!

Next morning started out with cowboy coffee...yeehaw.
[image]

And this was a beautiful century stalk, last year, looking quite other-worldly even in death.
[image]

Followed by a beaut of a blossom on a cactus. It's always perplexed me, not hard to do, as to how Mother Nature gives the thorniest of plants the most beautiful flowers.
[image]

On our way to the last hike,(are we glad?), we're exceptionally lucky to see much wildlife. Several snakes, hawks, heard an owl, (does that count?), and had a very big and healthy bobcat jump right out in front of the truck. Funny thing about that, Farctic and I were having a "friendly" argument about who would write this trip report. With him saying it should be me and vice versa. So when seeing the bobcat I told ol Farctic if he could catch that cat on foot, well I'd write this here report. So out the truck door he goes off into the bushes, where we heard a big ol ruckus for quite awhile. About the time Mrs. Farctic starts to worry about him, out of the bushes Farctic comes...wearing the neatest bobcat hat I've ever seen. And that's why I'm sitting here writing!

So on with the trip report, just 5 more minutes, I promise.
[image]

[image]

Notice Farctic's bobcat hat! What? You thought I was joking??
[image]

Obviously we're on the trail to a wilderness area, with a wonderful stream of water. The clearest you'll ever see.
[image]

[image]

[image]

The Farctics were constantly amazed with the Saguaro, which means "standing wall of water". They are incredibly old and incredibly...full of water. Not like drinkable out of the tap but the insides of the Saguaro are a watery pulp of fibers around a wooden frame. And like ol Euell Gibbons would say, "Some parts are edible". Just not the parts with spikes stickin out.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Well there you have it, East meets West for some fun and hiking. And since I DID study funology, I can tell you it was a WHOLE BUNCH of fun and well worth the rvnet connection! Of course much of the fun was left out of the trip report as there is not enough time or bandwidth to go into it all, so you'll have to trust me.

So while the ladies bid you adieu, Farctic and I are planning our next trip,in a week, as we'll be meeting up in Utah for more from Whazoo & Farctic's Wild Kingdom...and quite possibly a cowboy coffee grindout. And I'm thinking we need to have some of Mrs. Farctics pictures posted, maybe a part 2 to the trip report due to "public" demand, or my names not John Q. Public...

Thanks for reading,
Dave Rogers[image]
[image]

Post Script: I will be back to "The Creek" next month for a 2 hour swim, climb & slide down thru the slot canyon with a 30 foot jump at the end into a bottomless pool of water. This is an open invitation...BTG, you there? No namby pambies, as once started there is NO climbing out & the water ccccold!!!

* This post was last edited 04/17/09 07:39am by whazoo *   View edit history

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/09 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You for the trip -----

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

2324delk

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/09 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW

Great pictures, thanks for posting the trip report, man I really need to get back out there. I love the cliff dwellings. The pictures of the water nearly blinded me, lovelyyyyyyyyy

thanks again

Steve

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/09 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall your trip report from some time back about the ruins and the stream.

Fun to share these special places with friends. Good job on the newspaper! [emoticon]

Great job, as always.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2003 Hitchhiker Discover America Quad Slide
2016 Lance 1172 Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice pictures ! I love your humor ! Thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 05:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool trip and photos. Thanks for posting.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farctic Wilderness & Whazoo National Forest; I looked and looked, and can't find it anywheres on my maps [emoticon][emoticon]

All I've gotta say is, "over the top gentlemen & ladies!"

Nothing can stop this crew; retirement? Life's just starting at this point [emoticon]

Brutally fantastic Report ! Looking forward to more (the newspaper piece was too funny!)

Extreme TCers have fun out there!

Silver & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just awesome...thanx for sharing.

Farctic's hat? I don't think so, clearly it's his mullet as it matches his whiskers so perfectly!

Of course the Farctics are such strong hikers; they train in New England!

Please send asparagus for grilling...yummy!

You Folks sure do inspire me!

Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Mad Norsky wrote:

I recall your trip report from some time back about the ruins and the stream.

Fun to share these special places with friends. Good job on the newspaper! [emoticon]

Great job, as always.

You're right there Mr. Mad Norsky, fantastic memory!! I would not have posted again on that area had not friends given it a new "look" to us.

Thanks for all your replies!!!!!

And Silver, cheers, cheers and more cheers...would that be 3 cheers? Back at you my friend.

LOL Billtex, couldn't get close enough to pull the asparagus out of the ground, all those spikes. And you were right about the hat, so I gave him a new one, hope you don't mind. But I'll leave the original here. New Englanders rock!
[image]

* This post was last edited 04/17/09 07:53am by whazoo *   View edit history

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing! for us stuck at work... we can escape a little bit with your trip reports.[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter trip report:In Search Of Farctic Ox
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS