|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Yellowstone/Beartooth Highway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a trip to Yellowstone this June.Has anyone towed their rig, we have a 35' Jayco Designer and a Dodge dually one ton 6.7 ltr Cummins, through Beartooth pass/highway. That part of the trip will be the downward leg of our vacation trip. Weather permitting of course.

wayne_tw

South Dakota/Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Beartooth Highway is one of the best drives in the US. It can be done towing, but the driver will not be enjoying the views. That exhaust brake will get a work out!

kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weather permitting is definitely a good statement. When I worked out there in the 60s & 70s, the road didn't even open until mid-June or later.

I personally wouldn't tow a large rig over it - MANY switchbacks and a long climb, plus of course a long downhill on the other side. Some people do tow over it, and of course drive the folks behind them crazy.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father took a TC up the Beartooth back in the 90s and he still swears he saw the rear of his camper a few times. He also swears he would never haul a trailer up or down.

I've looked at 14A in the Bighorns and against much advice, after reading all I could and looking at it in Google Earth, would be willing to tackle that road with my 35' 5ver no sweat. However, after doing the same for Beartooth, I think I'll heed most folks advice and not carry my trailer on the switch back portion of Beartooth until I see it first and even then probably wouldn't.

However, St Joseph Highway down towards Cody would be worth the drive with a side trip just in the truck to Beartooth would be icing on the cake.

Photo Albums
2004.5 Ram 3500 4x4 Quad-Cab SRW CTD 6-spd, XD9000 winch
2004 Lance 815 (an upgrade from my prev 2005 35' fiver )
DW (homemaker), 1 DD w/BS in Civil Engineering (TN DOT) and husband, 1 DD Clemson bound, 2 DFs (meow)

JT

out west

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Beartooth is a beautiful drive, but it can be a challenge for large rigs/long combinations to negotiate the narrow lanes, blind crves, and switchbacks. And, IMO, having previous "mountain driving" experience and skills is very useful for this road(and a lot of others). The drive was a piece of cake in my 24' C, even though it's a widebody, but there are many places along the road where it was very apparent that most folks traveling in a large or long set-up could have problems, especially if you hit a day when the road is being traveled by larger rigs and/or less-than-skilled drivers. YMMV.

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdb7566 - kohldad has the right idea, take a side trip over to the Beartooth Highway with your TV. Have been up and down that road many times, and would never recommend a person towing a trailer or driving a big MH on it.

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drove it last year in the pickup. We saw plenty of RVs (3 or 4) driving it. I would not feel unsafe doing it with the MH, but it would be a very long stressful drive. It's really a great drive, but just take the truck.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2010 Journey 40L/ Sierra Crew

DanET

North Central MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought about this same route and had similar concerns. My question was answered after watching a few youtube videos people posted of their drive. I would enjoy the trip better without the trailer, being able to stop at more places along the way and enjoy the scenery.

I found the videos posted by bikers to be the most informative, as you could hear them working the gears and "feel" the curve by the way they had to lean the bike. Puts it in a whole new perspective.

Ozimo

67.0°N ~ 50.7°W

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I live in the area and have done all the roads - many, many times take my advice to heart. You are better off parking the trailer in Cody, Belfry or Red Lodge and take the truck over the Chief Joseph and Beartooth passes.

SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozimo wrote:

Since I live in the area and have done all the roads - many, many times take my advice to heart. You are better off parking the trailer in Cody, Belfry or Red Lodge and take the truck over the Chief Joseph and Beartooth passes.

Don't live in the area (I'm a Montana native-born & raised), but have traveled the Beartooth pass a number of times both ways. One should stay in the national forest campground(s) below the pass along Rock Creek. Then take your toad/TV over the pass to Cooke City. Have lunch and head back taking the Chief Joseph hiway to hiway 120. Then go north to Belfry, MT and cut-over to Red lodge. Have a nice supper in Red Lodge. Then drive up to your camp site for a campfire (if it isn't too dry) and sleepy time .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Yellowstone/Beartooth Highway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS