RV.Net Open Roads Forum: KY Fire Marshal required $60 inspection to tag?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> KY Fire Marshal required $60 inspection to tag?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know about Kentucky’s requirement for a $60 Fire Marshall inspection before an RV trailer can be tagged in the state?

The reason I ask is today a person that was in the market for a RV trailer told me they bought one last weekend and this afternoon a fire marshal was coming to inspect so she could then get it tagged at the court house. I am not sure what all the inspection entails but she was told the propane system and fire alarm I know she mentioned. The private trailer owner lived in an adjoining state but I am not sure that is a factor.

I am wondering if it was just not something slapped on to raise income for the state along with other large income producing new laws. Maybe the fire marshals have a lot of free time so other than the gas to drive to the person’s home it is free money. I may be down at the dealerships if sold by a dealership.

She is to ask of this is for all RV’s or just trailer types and I will try to remember what she learns next Friday when I see her the next time.

vanman250

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never heard of that the only thing I ever heard about is when you bring a vehicle in from an other state you have to have a police check done to make sure it's not stolen. I never seen a charge for that.

vanman250

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, Ky Fire Marshal's do have to make an inspection of all new RVs before they are licensed. They have to certify that the propane system is up to regs and that smoke alarms are in place. They have done this for years, it is not new. A fund raiser? Probably. But required so .... .

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am surprised. I bought new TT's in 2007 and 2008, one from Indiana, and one from Ohio. I did not have a fire marshall check them out before getting tagged. Is this only for USED TT? I have lived in KY for over forty years (but, yet I am only 25-how is that?)

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did not do this with our old MH in 2007 we bought in IL? RV=MH?

100ton

Huntington Beach, California

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Does anyone know about Kentucky’s requirement for a $60 Fire Marshall inspection before an RV trailer can be tagged in the state?"

What they really want to inspect is your wallet. As always, follow the money.

See you out there,

Robert

chiefswife

KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've bought two motorhomes in KY both used, both had to have Fire Marshall inspection before we could tag them in KY

DH John Carson
me
Dog: Buddy, half Cocker Spaniel - half ? = totally adorable!

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it depends on who is in the courthouse in your county or something. My came from IL and just like the Blazer from TN the year before I had to pay the sherrif $5 to read to mileage and check the vin number then pay for tags and taxes. I am glad we did not have to pay $60 or wait for days parked in the middle of the street the court house to get it tagged. I do think it is not fair that some are made to pay and others do not.

If one fails I wonder if you can fix it or would it have to go to a licensed heat and air dealer?

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indirect info on KY fire marshal inspection requirements.

Recreational Vehicle Safety Inspection

Anyone that purchases a recreational vehicle (RV) outside of the State of Kentucky is required to have it inspected by the State Fire Marshal's Office, Manufactured Housing Division prior to licensing it in Kentucky.

As Deputy State Fire Marshal's, we offer that service here at our station for the residents of Jefferson County. We have two certified RV Inspectors who can complete the inspections by appointment. If you need an RV inspected, please contact our office at (502) 491-0085 Monday - Friday to schedule your appointment.

gumbyjb

Lake Cumberland

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid $90 for my inspection last Thursday morning at Delightful Days in Walton. I could have paid $60 for the State Fire Marshall to do it, but I would have had to wait until the middle of this week and I had scheduled to go camping this weekend (maiden voyage of the new (to us) camper).

He checked the smoke alarm and the propane pressure at the stove. He also checked that all the 110 outlets were properly grounded. He then filled out a piece of paper that said he checked waste and fresh water system, all appliances, fire extinguisher, etc. even though he never looked at them.

It's a definite money maker for them, and I was none too happy when I found out on Wednesday afternoon that I needed to get one after I had taken the afternoon off to get it licensed. But I can certainly see the need. It only takes one jury-rigged fix to blow up in your face and ruin your weekend (or life)...

2006 KZ JAG 32JSS
2007.5 GMC 2500 Duramax CCSB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> KY Fire Marshal required $60 inspection to tag?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS