Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Need Help! Gas Springs that lift bed for storage access

Posted By: NCBounder on 04/19/09 07:29am

One of the gas springs (or whatever they are really called) that lift and hold the bed frame for access to the storage area underneath, has over extended and will not close. The brand says Master Lift but I have not been able to find anything on the internet about this specific product.

1st...How do you get it to come off the pin to which it is mounted?
2nd...How do you (or can you) re-set it so that it is not overextended?

We are leaving for a weeklong trip this Friday, and now I can't even get the bed to close over the storage area... its always something isn't it!

Chuck & Pam
Bobbi and Nikki the Cats
Blog: Chuck & Pam's Travel Pages
Bounder - Ford V10
'04 Chevy Tracker.
F261484
NJ4B

Posted By: Terryallan on 04/19/09 09:01am

I'd run that thing past your dealer, or any dealer, and get it unhooked. Maybe order another. But first. Be sure you can't straighten it out enough to slide back in. It is probably in a bind. Getting it straight might let it slide.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Posted By: pigman1 on 04/19/09 10:14am

You can find singles in Camping World or any RV supply house. Just be sure to have the length and weight rating marked on the one that's broken. McMaster Carr has all types available as well as a ton of good info on how to change pivot points. We used their pages to figure new points so we could raise the bed higher.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=1iirdd

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Posted By: jauguston on 04/19/09 09:14am

There should be a metal clip over the end at the ball connection. Stick a small screwdriver blade or a knife tip under the clip and pry it out a little bit. That should release it from the ball. That is how I release the two on my engine box lid under the bed.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Posted By: Popsie on 04/19/09 09:23am

You might contact the folks listed in this story "Stabilus introduces Master-Lift for RV Applications".

Posted By: MrWizard on 04/19/09 09:36am

they should be replaced in pairs,

you can find them at McMaster Carr and other suppliers, including automotive supply houses.. new ones are approx $20 each

there was a post with links, in this forum last week

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted By: full-timer on 04/19/09 06:06pm

I've seen some at Auto Zone. They may have the size and weight rating you are looking for.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

Posted By: topflite51 on 04/19/09 07:18pm

jauguston wrote:

There should be a metal clip over the end at the ball connection. Stick a small screwdriver blade or a knife tip under the clip and pry it out a little bit. That should release it from the ball. That is how I release the two on my engine box lid under the bed.

Jim
That's the way. Then take them to your local auto supply store, they should have them. I have bought them at Autozone, Napa's, Kragen's, etc. Last resort, order them from an RV store.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Posted By: NCBounder on 04/20/09 06:41am

Thanks EVERYONE for the responses...all good information. I think I would have spent many hours on this had I not realized the "metal clip" part. Even then it is not easy for these eyes, in limited light, on the floor, under the bed. At least now I have the existing springs removed and the bed back where it belongs. If i cannot find replacements in the next 3 days, i'll just forget it until after our trip next week. I already cut a wooden prop stick that i can use to hold the bed up during access if necessary.

thanks again to all on this forum! (Now if I could just solve what to do about those pesky day/night shades.)

Posted By: NCBounder on 04/22/09 10:52am

Yea Auto Zone! It seems like every time something happens with, the RV, I always think "RV Parts" which means a trip to the RV dealer - not a convenient trip from where I live. Thanks to the response to this OP, I took one of my original gas springs to Auto Zone. They are the same type of gas springs that hold up SUV back windows, truck boxes, hoods, trunk covers, and many other things. Auto Zone had a full collection. The hard part was figuring out which one would fit, other than the length. Since these things have no obvious markings on them indicating pressure, I picked on that looked and felt about right. It works perfectly.

Maybe this will help someone else that has the same problem.

Posted By: MrWizard on 04/22/09 03:24pm

I think , the avg pressure for BED lifts, are 80 to 100lbs

Posted By: NCBounder on 04/23/09 06:07am

MrWizard wrote:

I think , the avg pressure for BED lifts, are 80 to 100lbs

I expect that is correct. However, I can find nothing on any of the gas springs I have or any that I looked at that indicate what their lift pressure actually is.

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 04/23/09 09:06am

When we added a memory foam mattress topper on our bed, I had to put stronger struts on it.........I used 130lb struts........that might be too much but, our bed is very easy to lift and it stays in the up position just fine.......

Posted By: NCBounder on 04/23/09 11:29am

96Bounder30E... where did you find anything that said what pressure they are. As i said, everything i have has nothing but model numbers on it. they do not indicate the actual pressure. unless i am totally missing something there which is always a possibility.

Posted By: Wanderingman on 11/07/09 08:01am

I just replaced my lifts under our bed. A modification I made to the bed, broke the lifts

Anyway, the new lifts are thicker and about an inch longer than the old ones, but won't hold up the bed.

Do you think this is because I don't have the proper length, or I mis-judged on the strength of the lifts?

Old one (MasterLift) has 1565SN 0400N on it's side. I took that to indicate a 40# pressure, and replaced with 60# pressure lifts.

I just noticed lower on the side it says ML-16-90 ... 90#?

Ya know, writing this, I see that the 16 is the length of the lift.

I guess I just answered my own question. It's back to the store I go ...

WM

Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 5th Wheel 8280WS
2004 F250 CC, PSD, SB
B&W Companion Hitch
Wife: Kathy (not property, but she didn't want to be left out)
2 doxies: PD & Frank

Posted By: suchristo01 on 11/07/09 08:24am

NCBounder wrote:

http://www.fixmyblinds.com

thanks again to all on this forum! (Now if I could just solve what to do about those pesky day/night shades.)

Tommy USMC,Susie USN Ret, Dog Buddy
2000 Fleetwood Flair 25F WH P32 7.4L 19.5"
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L 5 Spd Man
Blue Ox Base,Aventa II,4 PIN Locks
US Gear UTB, Power Gear Man Lev, Onan 4KW
Tent,GP Tent,Tent Trailer,2 Class A's
Are We There Yet?

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 04/23/09 01:27pm

I ordered (2)130lb struts from Mcmaster-Carr.......http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-struts/=1knbet

BTW...The weight rating is usally part of the part number.........why don't you post the part number you have and we can maybe decipher it for you.........

Posted By: petiredpete on 04/27/09 11:21am

try walt's rv surplus in corona ca. he has tons of them.about $10. all you need to know is the pound rating and type of end couplers..usually a ball socket with a clip to hold it.. the dealer will rip you a new one..

Print  |  Close