Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Dodge Ram 2500 TIPM trailer turn signals very bad thing!!!

Posted By: mmittman on 04/19/09 05:17pm

There are no fuses on a 2006 (and forward) Dodge Ram to protect left/right trailer turn signal fault.

PLEASE READ MY ENTIRE POST (import details further down) and let me preface by asking Dodge experts, is there an after market modification that can be made to protect the TIPM from a trailer wiring fault?

Dodge Ram trucks from 2006 forward, have eliminated circuits with regular ol' fuses for the trailer circuits; left trailer turn signal and right trailer turn signal. If there is a fault, then the software in the truck's TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) shuts down that circuit. There is a counter within the software that allows only so many resets after a certain number of faults, then the module must be replaced (dealer item only). Note that the trucks turn signals work fine when the TIPM cuts off the trailer effected circuit(s).

There are NO fuses for the trailer turn signal circuits but there are fuses for the power seats, computers, stereo, etc ....WHAT THE HECK!?!? Dodge Trucks are designed to pull trailers and have trailer lights connected, but this is only controlled by the TIPM; it's insane. It's worse, read on....

Are you ready for this? A failed TIPM for a late model (2006 forward) Dodge Ram is $711 plus $200 labor. Extremely frustrating considering a simple fuse on the trailer circuit is inexpensive and effective.

Now to add insult to injury. In my particular instance on my 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel 2500, the TIPM faulted not because of a short to ground, but a short between the trailers left turn signal and the marker / running lights; no short to ground whatsoever. This type of fault will not make a fuse blow because there is not a short to ground.

Any Dodge experts, PLEASE post details on a work-around / fix to protect the TIPM against a positive to positive fault as I described ...my local Dodge dealer and Chrysler Customer Care cannot answer my question and offer zero assurance that a new TIPM can protect against such faults without require being replaced again and again (at $911 total cost).

Advice is appreciated.
-Michael
Garland, TX
2006 Dodge Diesel 2x4 Mega Cab

Foot note: I attached the trailer to other non-Dodge Chrysler vehicles. The lights work, granted incorrectly, but no fuses are effected and the vehicles lights work fine.

Posted By: JIMNLIN on 04/19/09 06:40pm

I would suggest looking in on dieseltruckresource.com or

turbodieselregister.com or

cumminsforum.com for input from a all Dodge crowd that probably has a fix already.

Take a look at TSB 08-021-06 rev A for trailer grounding problems and raising TIPM trigger points amps from 75 to 100.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Posted By: CumminsDriver on 04/19/09 09:20pm

Some have installed inline fuses on the trailer wiring harness at the back of the truck. I'll see if I can find the posts on TDR or DTR.
Rich

'09 Dodge/Cummins 6.7 3500 Quad Cab DRW SLT Laramie Auto, Timbrens & Overload Bump Stop Spacers; Tork Lift Super Hitch, Tiedowns and Fastguns, ExtremeAir 12 Volt Air Compressor
'04 Arctic Fox 990; 91 Jeep Wrangler ARB's TeraLow 4.5" Rubicon Express Lift

Posted By: CumminsDriver on 04/19/09 10:23pm

The TIPM has a factory 15 amp trip point on the trailer circuits. It can be reset 5 times by the dealer, after that it needs to be replaced. There is a TSB to increase the trip point to 17.5 amps, but if you have a trailer with a wiring issue that won't make much of a difference. Some have installed relays w/fuses inline on the trailer circuits so that the trucks turn signals/running lights only trigger the relays, with the power source being seperate from the TIPM. If your trailer has a problem such as a short to ground, the fuse will blow. If the trailer has a backfeed from one circuit to another such as you describe, the backfeed will only be back to the source wire(positive to positive). I will be doing this to my truck to avoid any problems in the future. I'm not concerned about my trailers, but sometimes you end up towing someone elses trailer with unknown wiring issues. I'd get an auxillary fuse panel such as the one Painless wiring has, mount it in the engine compartment, and use it for your power source to your trailer circuits, and along with the relays, you will have bypassed the TIPM from any problems your trailer has.
Rich

Posted By: Madhatter1 on 04/20/09 06:42am

This sounds like an opportunity for someone to make an inline retro relay kit that would plug into the plug and then the trailer into it. The fuses could lay under a rubber cover. I tow a new trailer with an 08 Dodge and although both are new both will get old and something will go wrong eventually. I don't want to pay $900 for what could have been a fuse change!

Posted By: mmittman on 04/20/09 07:11am

Thank you for all the fantastic feedback thus far around the TIPM on Dodge late model (2006 and later) trucks). Do please keep the information coming.

I tow my trailer and other folk's trailers from time to time. So protecting the Dodge TIPM ($711 part, $200 labor) is of great interst to me, as I mentioned in my original post.

And if anybody knows of a fuse / relay, something arrangement I can buy to protect the TIPM from trailer faults, do let me konw. I am interested in buying.

Thank you!
Michael
Garland, TX
2006 Dodge Diesel 2500 Mega Cab

Posted By: dodge guy on 04/20/09 09:13am

The TIPM`s have built in relays and these are what often fail! the TIPM also has a built in circuit breaker. I have yet to see one fail because of a shorted trailer wire. I replaced one just recently due to the trucks back up lamps being inoperative.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Posted By: Whatchaupto on 04/20/09 10:39am

Dodge Guy: You had to replace a TIPM due to no back-up lamps? Holy cow. Maybe I need to get an extended service plan on my truck before the factory one runs out.

'12 Ram 2500, CTD
'66 Awesome Wife
'95 Itasca 28' MoHo
'73 Honda CT90
'11 Polaris RZR

Posted By: MegaCab_PL on 04/20/09 12:09pm

On my 2006 Megacab, I built a custom setup made out of a 6-blade fuse holder and set of I believe 4 relays, and fed those from the truck trailer plug to be activated, but run the main feed from the battery with an inline fuse. Sold the truck already, do not remember details but it worked. And yes, do it before you run out of warranty or short TIPM 5 times.

Posted By: dodge guy on 04/20/09 01:18pm

Whatchaupto wrote:

Dodge Guy: You had to replace a TIPM due to no back-up lamps? Holy cow. Maybe I need to get an extended service plan on my truck before the factory one runs out.

Yep! I still got it on my toolbox. everything else works as it should. the only other code it had was "TIPM internal failure". sometimes technology is not a good thing!

Posted By: carringb on 04/20/09 01:44pm

MegaCab_PL wrote:

On my 2006 Megacab, I built a custom setup made out of a 6-blade fuse holder and set of I believe 4 relays, and fed those from the truck trailer plug to be activated, but run the main feed from the battery with an inline fuse. Sold the truck already, do not remember details but it worked. And yes, do it before you run out of warranty or short TIPM 5 times.

That is a good way to do things.

If you aren't as good with doing your own wiring, you can also just use a trailer light converter (usually for minivans/cars) which also uses the battery to feed the trailer lights. It just comes all in one solid state unit, but should do the same trick as the relay setup.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon (14-pass all captains chairs)
V10 - 375,000 miles

Posted By: 04superduty on 04/20/09 06:37pm

the headlights are also run through the TIMP module, luckily it only costs $80 to reset it.

04 F350 6.0PSD/TS EC SB
07 Outback Sydney edition

Posted By: mmittman on 04/21/09 08:43am

Any more detail on the converter is greatly appreciated. There is a 12v auxillary power feed on my 2006 Dodge Diesel, which is protected by a regular ol' fuse. This could be a solution! More information on the converter is appreciated!

Posted By: CumminsDriver on 05/03/09 02:26pm

Go here for a module that wires into your tow vehicle, that bypasses the TIPM for the trailer circuits. This is powered directly from the tow vehicle battery, the tow vehicle turn signals/running lights only trigger the module, which activates the turn/stop lights and running lights.
Rich
I'm not affiliated in any way with this product, just passing on some information that will help prevent the overloading of the TIPM.

Posted By: devores on 05/05/09 10:20am

I have a question. I have an issue with my right turn and brake light not working. I suspect its the TIPM but am not sure.

1) How do I know if it is the TIPM (all other lights work and Ive ruled out the trailer wiring). Will there be any codes?

2) How much does it cost to reset the TIPM and is it a quick fix or will they have it for a while?

2006 Dodge Ram2500 CTD Mega Cab
2011 KZ Stoneridge 36RK

Posted By: mmittman on 05/05/09 10:36am

To answer your question about diagnostics for the Dodge TIPM. It cost me $109 to have the TIPM diagnosed and re-flashed here at Dallas Dodge dealership. The second time I went in, the TIPM circuit was blown that controls the trailer left turn / brake power and I was told the TIPM had to be replaced ($711, plus $200 labor). Alternate fix: install a ModuLite HD for about $64.

Another contributer to this forum thread posted a fix for the TIPM problem. THANK YOU to CumminsDriver (Rich Witt) and his post on 5/03/09. My editorial of his suggestion is below:

The ModuLite product is what is needed:
http://www.hitches-forless.com/electrical/modulite.htm#What%20is%20a%20ModuLite

If your TIPM still works properly (does not need replaced) protect it with the ModuLite PROTECTOR module or ModuLite HD. About $32

If your TIPM has blown trailer circuits (as on my Dodge) and cannot be reflashed, install the ModuLite HD. About $64 and you should not have to replace your TIPM so long as only your trailer light circuits are effected.

..don't forget to get the wiring kit if don't have a power supply to where you're going to install the ModuLite (read instructions on the website).

Hope this helps, because it's saved me almost $1,000 bucks!

-Michael

Posted By: RTD on 05/05/09 11:18am

I just posted this in another thread, aboutmy lights on my 2002 Ram not going off when the key is removed. It's going into the shop on Thursday. I sure hope it isn't the TIPM...

2007 Ram 1500 HEMI
2008 Jayco 28BHS

Posted By: atvanish on 05/05/09 07:32pm

What are the two 'trailer tow' fuses (under my hood in the fuse box) in my '07 Ram for then? One 20 amp and one 30 amp? I blew the 30amp this weekend and gotta replace it (lost running lights) but brakes and turns still work...

2007 Chevy Cobalt (Gas Saver!)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 POWER WAGON, 4x4, Hemi, 4.56's
2005 Dutchman Lite 27B

Posted By: mmittman on 05/05/09 07:36pm

I would like to know more about the "Traier/Tow" fuses in the TIPM on your 2007 Dodge please. My 2006 Dodge seemed to show up the most on the internet with TIPM problems; it has fuses for trailer circuit marker/running lights, none for stop/turn trailer ciruit ...the dealer confirmed.

My brother is interested in a Dodge to tow his Airstream, so if the 2007 has improved electrical system, it would be good to know.

Posted By: mmittman on 05/05/09 07:38pm

atvanish wrote:

What are the two 'trailer tow' fuses (under my hood in the fuse box) in my '07 Ram for then? One 20 amp and one 30 amp? I blew the 30amp this weekend and gotta replace it (lost running lights) but brakes and turns still work...

Making a best guess at answering your question, on my 2006 Dodge there is a fused trailer power supply circuit that sends a plain old 12volt supply to the 7 pin trailer connector; charges the trailer's batteries, runs accessories, etc.

Posted By: atvanish on 05/06/09 05:50am

Did a little more searching... here are the three replaceable fuses in the TPIPM.

Fuse 12 (30 amps) - module brake provision? (don't know what that means but part of trailer tow package)
Fuse 15 (20 amps) - trailer tow wiring
Fuse 19 (30 amps) - Backup lamp feed

mine had fuse 19 blown after pulling the race car trailer this weekend. I guess I'm still quite confused. So it sounds like there are some replaceable fuses for wiring and back up lamp circuits - just not the turn signal circuits, is that correct?

Still don't understand how fuse #19 would control running lamps. I still had turns and brake lights working!

Posted By: mmittman on 05/06/09 08:28am

atvanish wrote:

Did a little more searching... here are the three replaceable fuses in the TPIPM.

Fuse 12 (30 amps) - module brake provision? (don't know what that means but part of trailer tow package)
Fuse 15 (20 amps) - trailer tow wiring
Fuse 19 (30 amps) - Backup lamp feed

mine had fuse 19 blown after pulling the race car trailer this weekend. I guess I'm still quite confused. So it sounds like there are some replaceable fuses for wiring and back up lamp circuits - just not the turn signal circuits, is that correct?

Still don't understand how fuse #19 would control running lamps. I still had turns and brake lights working!

You are correct, there are fuses for some of the trailer circuits on your Dodge. Apparently there are no fuses for the trailer turn/brake ciruit (software controled via your Dodge's TIPM); totally bad idea in my opion. There is a reference to a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the TIPM earlier in this thread. The TIPM's circuit threshold (software virtual fuse) can be raised or lowered by your dealer with a software update from Chrysler Dodge. The TSB on the TIPM raised the threashold to 17.5 amps, however you will see that after 5 faults, the TIPM must be replaced ($711 part, plus $200 labor).

I would urge you to get a ModuLite type device to protect your TIPM. It's mentioned earlier in this forum thread. It saved me almost a grand $ on my 2006 Dodge.

Hope this info helps.

Print  |  Close