|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Shower curtain mod

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't like the shower curtain that came with our NL. It was one of those that wrapped around on a u-shaped guide preventing water from spraying out the shower door. I hated that when the shower curtain was "stowed" next to the toilet it was always pressing up against you while trying to do a little business.

I bought the smallest roller shade I could find and peeled the vinyl off of the tube:
[image]

I removed one of the end rollers and cut the tube to the correct length then reinstalled the end roller.
Here it is cut to the correct length and the end roller reinstalled:
[image]

Then I coated the tube with 3 coats of spar urethane to prevent moisture soaking the cardboard tube:
[image]

The shade was then cut to the correct size then re-glued to the tube. To make sure the curtain would stay against the door opening and not floating out to stick to an unsuspecting showeree while showering I counter bored two holes in the bottom hem bar and installed some 1/2 x 1/8 inch rare earth magnets. I was originally going to glue them into the hem bar but the fit was so tight it was unnecessary.

Magnets:
[image]

Magnets installed in the plastic bottom hem bar:
[image]

[image]

I attached a piece of galvanized steel sheet inside the shower under the door using existing fasteners (I plan on painting this white):
[image]

I attached the roller shade using the supplied brackets and stainless screws:
[image]

Upper half:
[image]

Lower half:
[image]

You'll notice that the bottom hem bar actually bends over and sticks to the plate. The magnets are strong enough that I'm able to release the clutch in the shade and the curtain stays in place. Nice and taunt. My original thought was that more magnets would be necessary but two was plenty.

Took a shower while up at the Mid-Atlantic TC Rally over the weekend and it worked wonderfully. After the shower I wiped the curtain down with a towel then left it down while the Fantastic Fan in the bathroom finished drying it out. Later, Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

campguy3040

Eastern Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/09 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual, your mods are well thought out and neatly installed. Nice work! [emoticon]
Gary

2012 Winnebago Vista, Triple Slide Ford F53.
Blue Ox Tiger Trak track bar, RoadMaster Reflex Steering,&
"Cheep Handling Fix"
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/Patriot Brake System
Chevy HHR toad.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's pretty neat! I actually did a very similar thing to the shower in my old Jayco camper. You made some nice improvements to it, though. The magnets and steel plate are a great idea.

It's amazing how much bigger the shower seems when you aren't having to work around the shower curtain.

Good job!

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Tizi

Normandy Park, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/09 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is awesome! May ask where you bought the shade (brand too)? I would love to do the same to my NL. I don't like when the current sticks to my behind when taking a shower!

How did it do for keeping water from penetrating on the other side? Looks like there are some gaps there?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tizi wrote:

That is awesome! May ask where you bought the shade (brand too)? I would love to do the same to my NL. I don't like when the current sticks to my behind when taking a shower!

How did it do for keeping water from penetrating on the other side? Looks like there are some gaps there?
I bought the smallest width shade at Home Depot (don't remember the brand) . It was less than $10 if I remember correctly. It did just fine keeping the water off the door. I didn't really pay attention to where the spray went but of course I didn't try and spray it there either. I hadn't disengaged the clutch in the shade before I took that last picture (it's a little tighter with the clutch disengaged). Later, Dave.

donlu

Homosassa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/09 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave, Looks like a pretty unique mod... is it in a wet or dry bath? Lucy

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic job! I'm gonna have to try that one. We haven't had our NL very long but we, also, have been bothered by that always-in-the-way shower curtain. This is a great forum, lots of good ideas. Thanks for sharing. -Mark.

FredAr

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice, think I will do the same - tomorrow! I missed the magnet thing, you put them along bottom and/or sides?

2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Mega Cab
2007 TC (Pastime 880ST) / 2005 TT (Montana 335 RLBS)

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

markchengr wrote:

Fantastic job! I'm gonna have to try that one. We haven't had our NL very long but we, also, have been bothered by that always-in-the-way shower curtain. This is a great forum, lots of good ideas. Thanks for sharing. -Mark.
Hey, Mark. Which NL do you have? I'll add you to the list. Later, Dave.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/09 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual, very cool!!! [emoticon]

'16 FORD F250 6.7 373 FX4 Lifted with 35" Toyos Air Bags

'16 Arctic Fox 25R. Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger, four Trojan 6 volts, 450 watts solar.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Shower curtain mod
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS