Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: sewer hose size

Posted By: digitek on 04/20/09 04:41pm

my new jayco jayfeather 197 came with a built in sewer hose storage compartment right above the dump...I wanted to buy the best sewer hose and went with a rhino 15 ft hose..trouble is that the hose does not fit in the compartmant..Im assuming that the compartment will house a 10 ft hose..After realizing this on my first trip I stored the sewer hose in a plastic tub in my outside storage compartment..kind of annoying having to open the storage compartment and have to deal with pulling out a dirty hose out of the miniscule openings that they made for the storage..would much rather just use the hose storage compartment which would be much simpler and much more hygenic..can I cut the rhino hose to size??will there be many instances where I will need greater than a 10ft hose?? Im thinking my camper is only 20 ft and I would always be able to get close to the sewer??? thanks in advance..

Posted By: martipr on 04/20/09 04:49pm

No guarantees. I have 3 10 foot hoses and often need t 2 of them, on one occasion I had to use all 3 and barely made it. Just for info- same for water hoses and power cords.

Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 V8 3.92 Rear End
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Posted By: handye9 on 04/20/09 04:58pm

5X5 PVC fence post covers work well also. Make a new storage for stinky slinky and use the old one for fishing rods, flag pole, patio mat, or whatever fits.

Check out my mods

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
Flowmaster exhaust, SCT tuner
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS (TT) and 00 Maverick 8801 (TC)
Wife and I
USN MCPO (E9) Retired (active duty 1974 - 1995)

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 04/20/09 04:50pm

Don't cut the poor Rhino! Get a length of PVC sprinkler/water line tubing/pipe the diameter that your Rhino will fit at Home Depot and strap it under your RV. Use heavy wire or black tie wraps. Store your hose there. Get a couple of end caps and drill some holes for ventilation and drainage, and so you won't lose the end caps, leash them to the pipe. I painted mine flat black to be nearly invisible down there.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: littlecat on 04/20/09 05:06pm

handye9 wrote:

5X5 PVC fence post covers work well also. Make a new storage for stinky slinky and use the old one for fishing rods, flag pole, patio mat, or whatever fits.

That's what I use too. Works great and you can order it online at Lowe's or Home Depot. I painted it black and mounted it under the back bumper. Works great!

Cathy
two camping doggies
non-camping DH
2008 Tundra 5.7L v8
2008 Flagstaff 831BHSS
My webshots Albums

Posted By: tvman44 on 04/20/09 05:12pm

That is what we use too, with a section of PVC gutter inside to serve as a pull out drawer. Works great.
littlecat wrote:

handye9 wrote:

That's what I use too. Works great and you can order it online at Lowe's or Home Depot. I painted it black and mounted it under the back bumper. Works great!

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Posted By: littlecat on 04/21/09 10:15am

I will try to take a picture of my setup tonight after work. I attached it using the metal clamp with the screw that tightens up the loop. I think I used about 5 of them. I painted it all black so it looks just like the bumper above, but its bigger. I use the rhino. My dad made covers that work great to keep the sewer pipe in place. I tried the plastic cover that you can buy from camping world, but they won't stay closed reliably.

Posted By: campercajun on 04/20/09 05:44pm

If you don't want to make your own sewer hose carrier, these are available from Camping World or any RV store which handles Valterra products: E-Z Hose Carrier

The 26" will hold one 10-ft. hose with connections, but it's tight. There are also 46" (part # 6361) and 64" (part # 1405) sizes. Our trailer came with the 26", and I added a 64-incher. I carry 2 10-foot Valterra E-Z Coupler hoses with male and female ends on each one, and 1 5-ft., so I can just add as many as I need in whatever combination. The 5-ft. easily stores in the 26" holder, and the 64" holds the 2 10-foot hoses attached together. The locking ends of the sewer hose carriers have holes in them so that air can circulate and the hoses will dry.

I need all three to reach the sewer dump connection in the rear of my RV garage. The 2 ten-ft. hoses came in a kit (Camping World Part # 27864), which includes the 90-degree fitting which attaches to the end of the hoses and screws into the sewer flange in the floor. No leaks. I bought the 5' hose separately.

2003 GMC Sierra Crew HD; 6.0L; Prodigy
2006 Thor Tundra 30RL-DSL; Reese Strait-Line & Dual-cam HP
2001 Honda Elite Scooter

Jim & Gayle Bryant

Murphy's Law: "Anything that CAN happen, WILL."

Bryant's Law: "31 years of RVing? Probably already HAS."

Posted By: Yeldarb on 04/20/09 10:04pm

I carry a 20' and a 10' foot hose and more often than not need the 20 footer and occasionally both of them...

Brad('67) and Valerie('68) Clements
Alyssa('95)
Sam and Toby
2008 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2005 Ford F350 DRW Crew Cab 6.8L V10
Omaha, Nebraska
Nights in 2011 - 24
Nights in 2010 - 30
Nights in 2009 - 36
Nights in 2008 - 31
Our Camping Adventures

Posted By: ford truck guy on 04/20/09 06:58pm

I have used all 3 of my 10'ers a couple of times. As soon as you cut it or toss it, you will need....

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
08 Montego Bay
Here are my pictures

Posted By: Rangerdave on 04/20/09 05:22pm

You have probably the best sewer hose they sell out there, don't cut it. Get a larger tube for the Rhino and buy a smaller slinky for a spare for the original tube, you'll be pretty set.

RD

2002 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme-Demco Kaddy SS Toader Camry
2 peeps 2 poops and lots bbq!
No Fuss Flush

Before you give someone a piece of your mind, be sure you can do with what you will have left.

Posted By: Rangerdave on 04/20/09 11:17pm

Remember that alot of the hose tubes WILL NOT take the hose with the Rhino fittings on them, I know this for a fact.
Choose carefully, or build your own < my choice.

RD

Posted By: conmoto on 04/21/09 10:59am

I am able to put my Rhino hose in the bumper (after taking off the one fitting). Is that a bad idea?

Posted By: digitek on 04/20/09 06:07pm

hey if its not too much trouble I would love to see some pics of the pvc piping and where and how it is attached..black zip ties hold it on the bumper??there is alot of rattle and shake in the back, any risk of falling off?..I guess you would get the end caps for the piping at home depot as well?

Posted By: littlecat on 04/21/09 09:47pm

Here is the picture of my set up. I bought the fence post from Lowe's online and painted it black. My dad made the end pieces.

Cathy

My Webshots Albums

* This post was edited 04/21/09 10:02pm by littlecat *

Posted By: littlecat on 04/23/09 09:00am

I am not sure about that. I have two hoses in mine and I can get them out from each side. A 10 and a 15 ft fit nicely and keep each other in place. I am using the 5 inch fence post which is open on both ends.

Posted By: beemerphile1 on 04/23/09 11:15am

digitek wrote:

...I also bought some white zip ties to attach to my bumper..will these hold?...

Black ties are UV resistant. The white ones will fail after being in the sun a while.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Posted By: kkmack on 04/21/09 11:35am

Our HTT came with a PVC tube thing but no hose. We bought a 20' hose, not thinking about the size of the PVC tube. Didn't fit...so be bought a 10' to fit in the 1st tube and bought a tube to fit the 20' hose. Both are mounted underneath. We usually use one or the other hose, but when we've needed both, it's been great to have them.

Kerri

2002 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W
1999 Fourwinns 180 Horizon F/S
2004 Diesel Excursion

Posted By: Rangerdave on 04/21/09 02:39pm

conmoto wrote:

I am able to put my Rhino hose in the bumper (after taking off the one fitting). Is that a bad idea?

Yes/no. I had to do the same thing for a while. After a while of putting the fitting back on I had trouble sometimes with the Rhino "seeping" while draining sometimes.

RD

Posted By: Rangerdave on 04/21/09 04:37pm

Use the tape called "plumbers tape" its a metal strip of tape with small holes in it that will hold really well.

RD

Posted By: Rangerdave on 04/25/09 07:34pm

digitek wrote:

finished my mod..really awesome and convenient..used a 96'' long piece of 4 3/4'' pvc fence post and cut it to size..used a piece of gutter as a slide out drawer and made handles for each side..Using the pointy gothic style endpeices for each end and keep them on with some lynch pins..works great..holds my 15 ft rinho hose with the fittings and my 4 in 1 adapter elbow, and my rubber sewer seal..from the other side I throw in 3 1lb propane bottles ( I like utilizing all the space)..awesome mod..thanks for all the help..as soon as i figure out how to post pics i will do so..

Use photobucket. Make an account, upload the photos, post the "img" code of the picture here in the forums and whalla, photobucket is your host.

RD

Posted By: marc71 on 04/21/09 04:10pm

digitek wrote:

I am really curious about how some of your bumpers look like?? Do most rv bumpers come with sewer hose storage? My built in sewer hose storage is not on the bumper but in a compartment on the side of my camper by the sewer outlet..I was looking at my back bumper closer after reading some posts to see what I could do about attaching a piece of pvc and it looks like the only place to mount it would be the back of it-extending the bumper..there is no way to put it underneath or behind the bumper..my bumper is pretty small-2009 jayco jayfeather 197..the bumper edge that the pvc would be mounted to is flat so I wonder if a square piece of fence post pvc would sit better there..and look better..and if i put it there i think im gonna have to run the pvc across the entire bumper otherwise I think it would look kinda funny..so all I would need to do is fasten the pvc to the bumper with hose clamps and thats it???I really dont want to get into drilling or anything like that..

If you look under your TT you will find there is a lot of room you can mount a piece of PVC to hold your hose. I'm not sure I would use zip-ties, but some hose clamps will do the job. Most TT are at least 8' wide, if you have room in your bumper it would seem to me you could fit 20' of hose in there with no problems, we have 2 10' sections stored in ours with room to spare.

2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4
2008 Forest River SV-302
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control

Posted By: digitek on 04/21/09 04:03pm

I am really curious about how some of your bumpers look like?? Do most rv bumpers come with sewer hose storage? My built in sewer hose storage is not on the bumper but in a compartment on the side of my camper by the sewer outlet..I was looking at my back bumper closer after reading some posts to see what I could do about attaching a piece of pvc and it looks like the only place to mount it would be the back of it-extending the bumper..there is no way to put it underneath or behind the bumper..my bumper is pretty small-2009 jayco jayfeather 197..the bumper edge that the pvc would be mounted to is flat so I wonder if a square piece of fence post pvc would sit better there..and look better..and if i put it there i think im gonna have to run the pvc across the entire bumper otherwise I think it would look kinda funny..so all I would need to do is fasten the pvc to the bumper with hose clamps and thats it???I really dont want to get into drilling or anything like that..

Posted By: digitek on 04/25/09 07:27pm

finished my mod..really awesome and convenient..used a 96'' long piece of 4 3/4'' pvc fence post and cut it to size..used a piece of gutter as a slide out drawer and made handles for each side..Using the pointy gothic style endpeices for each end and keep them on with some lynch pins..works great..holds my 15 ft rinho hose with the fittings and my 4 in 1 adapter elbow, and my rubber sewer seal..from the other side I throw in 3 1lb propane bottles ( I like utilizing all the space)..awesome mod..thanks for all the help..as soon as i figure out how to post pics i will do so..

Posted By: digitek on 04/22/09 02:38pm

ok so just got back from home depot and I picked up a 6ft piece of 4'' fence post..wish they had a 7.5 ft piece instead that would run the entire length of my bumper but this will have to do...I would have got the 5'' fence post but the flat edge of my bumper that it is going to get mounted to is 4'' and figured it would stay put better and look nicer..measured the sewer hose and it does fit..Was looking everywhere on my jayfeather for possible places to mount but there really arent any spots at all except directly on the face of the bumper..Its also really weird how you are not able to put the sewer hose in my bumper because they have metal dividers that seperate the bumper into three different sections..not very useful..the fence post that I bought has a pointed gothic style fence post cover on one end that I am going to leave on and the other side did not have anything so I bought a removable pointed cover to match the other side..should look either bad ass or really dumb-one or the other..gonna drill some holes in the end caps and the bottom of the post for ventilation and drainage..I also bought some white zip ties to attach to my bumper..will these hold???I know that black ones are better but I figured that the white ones will blend with the white post...I was originally looking for metal pipe clamps that you tighten with a screw but could not find any with a diameter large enough to hold the post and go around the bumper...will the white zip ties work temporarily until I find a better solution? oh one more question- my 15 ft sewer hose goes inside the 6 ft post and takes up about 3/4 of the post and then there is about 1/4 of dead space inside the post..any ideas about what I could use this for?? I was going to drill a screw into the post so the sewer hose doesnt slide back and forth and then I would have to dig inside or get some kind of hook to reach it..again any other ideas on how to deal with the sliding issue??

Print  |  Close