|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Good wax for aluminum siding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
fish0821

Lebanon,Tn.

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is a good cleaner wax for aluminum siding.Going to wax the parents camper and would like it to be a good looking job.thanks

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fish0821 wrote:

What is a good cleaner wax for aluminum siding.
thanks

Any wax that the guy uses that I hire to do this job...lol.
Waxing an aluminum sided trailer is one of the hardest jobs I have ever done.

Actually the waxing part was easy...it's the wiping off and buffing part that was the killer. (all those ridges, nooks and crannies.)

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

aplvlykat

Apple Valley, Ca USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 1978 class C motorhome I bought used in 1991 that was alum sided. When I bought it it had a lot of oxidation and black streaks on the alum. On one of our first outing I was aproached by a older man who said he could make the alum siding look like new with little effort. What he used was Lemon Pledge, he simply sprayed it on and wiped it off. When he was done the oxidation was gone, the blackstreaks were gone and the siding shined like new. It took me a couple hours that day to do the rest of the motorhome. I used pledge on it till the day I sold it and the siding always looked great. Give it a try.

1999 Suburban LT, K2500 4x4
7.4 liter 4.10 gears
de-Whippled due to gas prices
prodigy brake controller
Reese wd/dual cam
2004 25rss Outback

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use, am using Mequire's Cleaner Wax. Cleans and protects in one shot. $6.90 at wally world. $5.90 at General Dollar.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/09 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a wash and wax one step product last year ( can`t remember the name) and it worked pretty well. But, when I tried it on my truck, it left horrible streaks and blotched on the glass that were a real bear to get off. To be sure, it`s not the same as a good hand waxing, but it did shine nicely and made water bead up for quite a while.

This year I`m trying Turtle Zip wax. The thought of hand waxing my trailer doesn`t exactly thrill me. Simoniz had a product some years ago that I used on my vehicles for a while. It was called One Step and it went on clear like water and you just spread it around with a cloth. No buffing or waiting. I can`t seem to find it anymore. I used the one step wax from ArmourAll last year and it was a pain to apply. It comes out of the spray bottle about the consistancey of SPF 50 sunscreen and splatters everywhere. Difficult to evenly spread around and didn`t last very long at beading water. My .02.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

SSport

Edison, NJ/Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax. Can be had from any local Wal Mart, Pep Boys...etc..etc. It's a great all around wax and very easy to use.

2008 Forest River Cherokee 39BS

mike77leprechaun

Ishpeming, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.dwdavies.com/detail.asp?product_id=washnwax3

I have searched high and low for a car wash similar to the one we used in the dealership 5 years ago. It was a wash n wax product but unlike "zip wax" it actually worked. when it was all said and done I broke down and ordered the same stuff we used and i am never going back. This stuff puts a shine on the trailer like you wouldn't believe and does the same for cars. If they sold it in stores it would be the top seller it's THAT good.

I still do my rig by hand with NXT by Meguiars simply because it comes off the easiest.

the Wash N Wax is great maintenance though. I'm a believer

their Quote sums it all up: "WASH-N-WAX" will greatly enhance the finish.

don't mind the snow but this trailer was freshly washed with wash N wax 4 days ago and has not had a hand wax yet

Current Rig: 2011 Salem 29QBDS Towed with a 2010 GMC Sierra z71 Crew 1500 .

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/09 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Protect-All on our aluminum sided Jayco...I used Meguiars NXT on last one and will use the same on current one !!

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

DarylD

East Bethal, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/09 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Meguires NXT Tech Wax as well. I use it on my Trucks, cars and Travel Trailer with Aluminum siding.

HAPPY CAMPING!!

Daryl and Sandy D.
2007 Jayco Jayflight 25RKS
Jayco Jafari member 29199
2006 Ford F150 4 x 4 XLT Lariat Crew Cab with Triton 5.4L 3 Valve (139" Wheel Base)
Equal-i-zer Hitch - Prodigy Brake Controller
US Navy 1982 - 1990

NorthernLiteRyder

Anchorage, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/09 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meguiars cleaner wax is what I use on my 1996 Jayco eagle SL210. It took the oxidation off and left a great shine. My brother also uses it on his 1998 Sunliner. Wally world. carries it. A little bit goes a long way, just don't put it on anything rubber or an unpainted surface.

1996 JAYCO SL 210
2007 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500 CC 5.3 V8 3.73
2 DOGS (RESCUED FROM SHELTER)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Good wax for aluminum siding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts