|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Ordered new Maxxis tires, they're made in Thailand

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ordered 4 new Maxxis ST205/75x14 tires from Discount Tire Direct. Received them today. They're made in Thailand as stamped on the sidewall. The date code is 4107, so I assume they were made the 41st week of 2007. They are rated to 1760 lbs at 50 psi. The 4 tires came to $344 delivered. I didn't want the added cost of replacing the wheels in order to get LT tires, so I went with the original size. They will be replacing Master Track tires that only lasted about 1500 miles before developing serious sidewall cracks. Trailer has a dry weight of 4500 lbs & GVWR 7700 lbs. This camper is only 24 ft bumper to ball & it's just DW & I. We will never have it loaded anywhere near the 7700 lb GVWR. To put that much stuff in it would leave no room for us. Also, about 550 lbs of it is on the ball. I don't usually even carry water, but fill up at my destination. Loaded up I am in the neighborhood of between 5500 & 6000 lbs. So many on this forum recommended the Maxxis tires. What are your comments.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

2001tundra

Surry , NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I was reading posts and a person spoke of Kenda loadstar tires, I googled it and found out that Maxis was also made outside the USA in various countries. Not much is made here anymore.

2001 Tundra TV , 18 ft Cikira Classic Cruiser

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was that the mounted, and balanced price? If so. Not a bad deal. If you still have to pay for mounting, and balancing. Not too good. I got 4 Maxxis mounted, and balanced for 78 per.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/09 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to hit the road.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

williamb

Lake Texoma (OK/TX Border)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/09 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ATA3001 and 2001Tundra
Ask! Ask your dealer where the tire is made. If they say they don't know ASK them to find out. If they can't or won't get in your car and drive on. Don't assume anything. Go with a brand you are familiar with, Michelin, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich. Alot of Goodyears are now made in the far east including China. This tire situation is getting out of hand and we need to start looking after ourselves. The RV companys don't have our best intrest in mind. If they did they wouldn't be putting us at risk by using inferior unsafe tires.

2001tundra

Surry , NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

today , I found out my tires were probably made in China, trailer has maybe a 1000 miles on it and is not very heavy , but now im wondering about the cheap tires. When we buy ,we think the maunufacturer put something decent on but hey it was my first travel trailer. I found this fourum after I got the trailer and I have learned a lot.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you have as much good luck with yours as I've had with mine. So far they have been perfect but I only have a little over 12,000 miles on them but they held up well when I got a call about an emergency at home just as we pulled into Yellowstone park last fall. We turned around and did an overnight drive home at 80+ MPH and they held up well to the trip. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenmol wrote:

My opinion only. You paid too much for a junk tire. You want a good tire buy a Denman. Radials are made in Mexico and bias made in Ohio. Best reviews of any ST tire. I bought a set of 4 in Canada in Oct for $135 each installed using high pressure valve stems and nitrogen. I told the dealer that I wanted fresh tires. They were 3 weeks old. I wouldn't not accept these tires.

$135.00 per tire. Boy, Did they see you coming Hope they at least used petroleum jelly.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/09 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenmol wrote:

My opinion only. You paid too much for a junk tire. You want a good tire buy a Denman. Radials are made in Mexico and bias made in Ohio. Best reviews of any ST tire. I bought a set of 4 in Canada in Oct for $135 each installed using high pressure valve stems and nitrogen. I told the dealer that I wanted fresh tires. They were 3 weeks old. I wouldn't not accept these tires.

Based on info posted on this forum you have made an erroneous statement. Stating that Maxxis tires are "junk tires" limits your credibility due to the fact that member after member with Maxxis tires have had very good experiences with them. What makes you think something made in Mexico is better than an item made in Thailand? Denman tires may very well be a good product, that does not make all others junk. BTW, there are many who say nitrogen in tires is a worthless expense. Go figure!

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kemo 1

ontario canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/09 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Ordered new Maxxis tires, they're made in Thailand
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS