Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: BEST Travel Trailer Layouts for Family of 4

Posted By: hanna1918 on 04/27/09 08:17am

We are searching for a travel trailer for a family of four. It needs to have bunks for a boy and girl, another bed for the parents , we also want a table that will always remain up! AND - it has to weight less than 4000 lbs as we are towing with our Honda Pilot SUV. I love the 2000 rockwood 2505 but it is a little heavy. I have searched the internet for about a week now and am open to model suggestions! ANYONE out there in a SIMILAR predicament or anyone with ANY ideas? HELP....

Posted By: snowhawkwoman on 04/27/09 08:28am

If you and your husband can deal with it...there's a little 16' travel trailer by Eveland's Inc. called a Scamp...it weighs 2000 lbs, and the CCC is 1,479 so loaded with a bunch of stuff it's 3,500 lbs...BUT to sleep 4 of you you would have to get the "double bunks" layout...each would sleep in a bunk bed. You will have a hard time finding a travel trailer small enough to tow by your SUV AND sleep 4 comfortably....and it also depends on the size of the kids...you wouldn't have much of an issue if the kids were say 1 and 3 as opposed to 8 and 10 or 14.

Welcome the the FORUMS

Snowhawkwoman
Big Owl
dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

Posted By: Terryallan on 04/27/09 09:18am

May want to think popup/folding tent camper. They are lite, and sleep way more people than most TT, or 5er's

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Posted By: Dacar92 on 04/27/09 12:48pm

We had the exact same requirements and stipulations that you have and found a perfect solution. We bought the TT we *really* wanted, and had it delivered to a seasonal spot about an hour from our house.

We bought a 35' TT with 2 double-sized bunks plus a twin bunk, 2 slide-outs and a horseshoe dinette that we could keep up at all times. There's a queen size bed in the front of the TT and the pull-out couch has an air mattress if we need it. Our kids are 10 and 13, so usually bring a friend with them - the 2 double-sized bunks are perfect.

We go there pretty much every weekend from April to October and love it. The kids have made friends and it's a lot less stress on me (we pack our clothes and some food for the weekend and go).

My husband loves it because we didn't have to buy a new TV to haul it.

Posted By: LIKE2BUILD on 04/27/09 12:02pm

hanna1918 wrote:

It needs to have:
1) Bunks for a boy and girl
2) Another bed for the parents
3) We also want a table that will always remain up!
4) AND - it has to weight less than 4000 lbs as we are towing with our Honda Pilot SUV.

Unfortunately, line 4 is the killer here. When you start talking about bunks, queen bed, and separate dinette you're looking at TT's starting around 23'. You will be very hard pressed to find one of these that will be in the 4,000#, ready to camp, weight range. TT manufacturers tend to put slide-outs on campers that large and that will push the weight up higher as well. You may find some around 4,000# DRY WEIGHT, but that quickly balloons up to 5,000# + when loaded to camp.

There's no need to 'trade the rice burner' as campertraveler stated. But, you probably will need to rethink your wish list if you intend to keep the Pilot as your TV. Most likely, you will either have to settle for a shared, full size bed for the kids or you will have to concede to a dinette/queen bed for mom and dad. Either way, I really doubt you're going to find the TT that matches all 4 or these criteria. If bunks/queen bed/dinette are an absolute must, then you would most likely need to consider a larger, higher tow capacity TV.

KJ

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Posted By: tdfisher03 on 04/27/09 08:42am

Take a look at the jayco 17c ex-port. It will sleep 4 and you will be able to keep the table up. it is 2900lbs dry and 3500 gvwr. I had one and loved it towed it with a merc mariner.

Posted By: PUCampin on 04/27/09 03:08pm

Fun Finder X-160 comes close, you have to make the dinette down. A small Hybrid trailer like a Rockwood Roo may give you what you want, but the beds are under canvas and have to be folded down. As stated earlier by LIKE2BUILD, separate dinette, bunks and master bed for under 4000lbs to the best of my knowledge does not exist.

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)

Me DW and the 3 in 3
DD 2006, DS 2007, DD 2008

Posted By: Ashera on 04/28/09 06:04am

Have you checked out this one? It's a TT with a queen bed upfront, 2 bunk beds, full bathroom etc... I believe the dry weight is around 3500 lbs

2009 CrossRoads Slingshot 30BH

Alyse, Sheldon, Kyriana 5, Mitchell 3 and Jacob 3
2007 Ford Expedition
2008 Jayco G2 32 BHDS
ProPride Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Control
Had: 2004 Ford Expedition, and 2005 Fleetwood Mallard 24BH Canadian Den

Posted By: lledman on 04/28/09 06:32am

Maybe something like a trailmanor - tows like a pop up but has hard wall sides??????

Lisa, Chris, Tyler (12), Devin (4), & Tyra (3)

2007 Dodge Ram 2500
2008 Rockwood Roo 26RS

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ledmanfamily/camping

Posted By: Hornet28BHDS on 04/27/09 01:42pm

Your "rice burner" can pull something. Not a lot, but still something. The EX-PORT may work and you will have to watch your weight. A PUP is also a nice alternative. Good luck!

2006 Hornet 28BHDS-Bunk House, Dual Slides

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
5.7L Hemi, Factory Towing Package
Reese Brake Controller, WD Hitch and Sway Bar

Life is short, why not spend it in an RV!

SPRING HAS SPRUNG!

Posted By: kskuches on 05/07/09 06:39pm

We own a 2008 17C Ex-Port and love it - traded up from a pup last year. We have one son (8 yrs. old) who can easily bring a friend along if he wants. We take the table out for the U-dinette and put it outside to maximize room inside. I would def. say that for a family of 4 you could get away with this. The only thing I would consider is that the kids are going to get older and as they do, being a boy and a girl, they won't want to be near each other . We spend a lot of time outside, so this camper is a great size for us. We tow w/ a Tahoe. I will say, when we picked it up from the dealer last year, we were not happy w/ how our Jeep Cherokee 6cyl. was towing this. We did trade up to the Tahoe at that time.....However, no regrets with this camper.

Posted By: Angus_NB on 04/28/09 03:44am

KZ Coyote Lite CL230
Dry Weight 3705
GVWR 5000

Still probably too heavy.

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

Posted By: healthline on 04/27/09 01:21pm

Dacar92 wrote:

We had the exact same requirements and stipulations that you have and found a perfect solution. We bought the TT we *really* wanted, and had it delivered to a seasonal spot about an hour from our house.

We bought a 35' TT with 2 double-sized bunks plus a twin bunk, 2 slide-outs and a horseshoe dinette that we could keep up at all times. There's a queen size bed in the front of the TT and the pull-out couch has an air mattress if we need it. Our kids are 10 and 13, so usually bring a friend with them - the 2 double-sized bunks are perfect.

We go there pretty much every weekend from April to October and love it. The kids have made friends and it's a lot less stress on me (we pack our clothes and some food for the weekend and go).

My husband loves it because we didn't have to buy a new TV to haul it.

what happens at the end of the season

Posted By: hanna1918 on 04/27/09 02:10pm

HUGE THANKS for all the ideas:
1. Rice Burner...lol...nice idea but we just got it as our towing vehicle - traded in the ol' pontiac montana.
2. Thanks for the pop-up idea however we currently own a coleman pop-up and i want a little more security from bears, wildlife, weather, etc.
3. The HUGE trailer delivered to oen spot doesn't fit our lifestyle - we like to travel around...
I am going to google right now the Jayco 17C & the evelands scamp.
Any other models you find please let us know!
meanwhile I will keep searching as well...

Posted By: nrg2brn on 05/08/09 10:42am

Be careful, Honda is very anti-towing. you may easily void your warranty if Honda techs are not in the outfitting loop. happened to my neighbor!

the designation of EX-PORT/RiCeBurners are NOT the issue here. check wheelbase, tongue load, and axle load. those are the things I wish I would have checked. most newbies such as myself look at max tow weight and go shopping. If your not carefull, you may end up like me: buying airbags: 236.00 installed, and a physics degree to just load the trailer :-) got the wdh (200.00) and swaybar (150.00) and its still not a walk in the park to tow sometimes. Heck, Im 800lbs under my max.

Good luck. sounds like you need one of those small TT's with the tent sticking out the back. hybrid.

Dave

Posted By: nrg2brn on 05/08/09 10:45am

lledman wrote:

Maybe something like a trailmanor - tows like a pop up but has hard wall sides??????

awesome idea...good lord those are expensive. the ones we saw were 12 grand used. yikes. about 3900lbs as I recall..cold be wrong here...check it out.... not ultralight. the big draw here is people that MUST have their TT/whatever it is...in their garage.

d

Posted By: Opie431 on 05/08/09 10:40am

Do you camp somewhere that you can put up a tent for the children?

Posted By: Mike Up on 05/07/09 07:02pm

That's exactly why I choice the Jay Flight 19BH, was for 2 couples. It also has room to go for 5. The main bed, the bunk above the main bed, and the sofa bed for another 2 adults.

After optioned from the factory, it weigh 3900 lbs. It's to much trailer for a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline though. You'll want a truck based tow vehicle for this model since when loaded, it'll have a heavier hitch weight more than what the Honda crossovers can handle. Also, a V8 with low end torque would be a desireable feature with a loaded, 5000 lbs trailer.

Actually you may want to consider a folding hardside camper as a Trailmanor or a Chalet to get into the under 4,000 lbs, fully loaded range. You'll need a trailer with a dry unoptioned weight of 2750 lbs or a factory optioned weight of 3000 lbs, or lighter. With water and gear, you'll likely load another 1000 lbs at least.

Good luck in your hunt.

Have a good one.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

Posted By: flash82 on 05/08/09 09:42am

What about something like Roadrunner 161. 2 Bunks (one on each end) Table stays up and gaucho in the back would be your bed (pull-out). Under 4000lbs....Tight fit but....

link to pics
http://www.camping-trailers.com/RoadRunner-161-sale.htm

Posted By: bogrough on 05/07/09 06:51pm

If you don't mind a HTT rockwood has the 183 and 233 which each have 3 beds. We had a 183 for 3 years and loved it. Like you we have a boy and girl and this gave them each their own space which can make things a whole lot more enjoyable.

Posted By: Dgy63950 on 05/07/09 07:26pm

You may want to consider the Rockwood Roo 23RS if the permanent dinette is not a big issue. The rear slide only takes about 30 seconds to slide out and the table takes another 30 seconds to set up. It does have the bunks with a double below and a queen for the slide. It has a dry weight of 3800 lbs so it might be a bit heavy when loaded up for you.

Posted By: ng2951 on 05/11/09 08:28am

The bunk beds might be a problem, but a TrailManor (TM anything smaller than the 3023) would fit the bill otherwise. You could still have separate beds for the boy and girl, though if anyone gets up in the middle of the night they might have to step over people.

The downside to all of these styles of trailers if that you have to set the up and down. Conventional TT you can just hitch and go. TrailManors, Chalets, etc have some assembly each time you move.

The nice things about TMs is that you do not have to take the beds apart each time, and the hardsided bathroom. Many TMs also have gas/electric hot water tanks which are nice for fast recovery when you are not dry camping.

Even used TMs are pricy, especially for those made 2003 or later. In 2003 TM significantly reduce the wood in TMs which enhances their long term value. At under 4,000 pounds loaded you will be hard pressed to find anything nearly as good. I look at TMs nearly 20 years old with no signs of leaks and that speaks well of this product.

* This post was edited 05/11/09 08:40am by ng2951 *

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 37 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

Print  |  Close