|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac retention cable mod

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read a few posts where the inner tube on Happijac camper jacks have fallen out when it's supposed to be retracted. Here is my version of a retention cable to prevent this.

I found these "Nite Ize S-Biner" S hooks at Home Depot. They're made of stainless steel and have a spring clip attached:
[image]

I drilled (countersunk slightly to prevent fraying), primed, and painted the jack support bracket:
[image]

After cutting the cable to length and removing the insulation I swaged on a Nicopress sleeve. Heat shrink tubing was added inside the loop to prevent wear:
[image]

Here's a close up of the cable loop and stainless S-Biner:
[image]

When the jacks are raised I simply clip the cable onto one of the holes in the jack foot and run the jack down a little bit to take up the slack. Now all I need to do is remember to remove the cable before I lower the jacks![emoticon] Later, Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

gm412

Belmont, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/09 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent Idea. I have never had a problem but always worried about it. One less thing to worry about.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Idea, but I'm also curious about your rear folding step. Is it of the folding multi-step type (motorhome style). Looks like it is attached directly to the rear bumper. Could you provide a picture?

Thanks

thundercloud

Durango, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does this happen only on the 4600 model jacks or all models? The reason I ask is the 4600 have the release to drop the jacks down all the way in a matter of seconds as apposed to waiting for the motor to bring them down.

Happy TC'N,
David

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Great Idea, but I'm also curious about your rear folding step. Is it of the folding multi-step type (motorhome style). Looks like it is attached directly to the rear bumper. Could you provide a picture?

Thanks
Here are a couple that the dealer took before I purchased:
[image]

[image]

The steps are folded up together, then they both pivot out and down, then the bottom step rotates off of the middle step and down, and yes it is attached directly to the bumper.

thundercloud wrote:

Does this happen only on the 4600 model jacks or all models? The reason I ask is the 4600 have the release to drop the jacks down all the way in a matter of seconds as apposed to waiting for the motor to bring them down.
I'm not sure. I just remember reading a few posts about this subject. A couple of other members have done similar mods. Later, Dave.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, for the rear picture. So is this a retrofitted step I take it, or an original equipment item from the TC builder?

middlecalf

Sweet, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey great idea!

But man, where is the rust on your jacks? I thought everybody has rust on their jacks. I do, and I've de-rusted them once already. Must be that Georgia "dry" climate, eh?[emoticon]

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Thanks, for the rear picture. So is this a retrofitted step I take it, or an original equipment item from the TC builder?
I had them install it at the dealer in Denver before we bought it. At the time it was an option that came with the rear bumper. I'll see if I can get a better picture posted for you.

middlecalf wrote:

Hey great idea!

But man, where is the rust on your jacks? I thought everybody has rust on their jacks. I do, and I've de-rusted them once already. Must be that Georgia "dry" climate, eh?[emoticon]
What is this "rust" you speak of? I'm also confused about "winterizing" I've seen bantered about on the forum. Can anyone give me some clarification on these words?[emoticon] Later, Dave.

Tizi

Normandy Park, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/09 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What was the problem, specifically? The jack falling out? How does that happen? That does not sound good, especially while under way.

Looks like I have a new project...thanks Dave!

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/09 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons, sorry it took so long but here are some close up pictures of the bumper steps.

Retracted:
[image]

Overcentered - middle position:
[image]

Extended:
[image]

Later, Dave.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac retention cable mod
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS