RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Keystone crack in side wall....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keystone crack in side wall....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
pianisttra

wv

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/09 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone has had a problem with a crack on the outside wall of a Keystone fifth wheel due to a defect causing weakness, please contact me. I have a 2003 keystone challenger and has $4000 worth of damage that Keystone admitted they knew was a problem but only had a one year warr. They would not be responsible even though they told the dealership what the problem was and how to repair it. I am in touch with Attorney General's office and looking for anyone else who may be interested in either getting Keystone to take responsibility or to be reimbursed for repairs.
Please don't buy a Keystone product. I paid $38000 and it has $14000 worth of repairs to it. Leaks causing floor to rot with no idea what is causing it. The structure of the frame toward the front is too weak to hold up to the movement of the front over the hitch. The front structure of the unit is not strong enough to withstand movement and may just crack causing the fiberglass to crack all the way up the side.
Anyone with a Keystone you need to check the outside wall around the front bottom corner of the bedroom slide and make sure there is not a crack forming. Let's make these companies take responsibility for their shotty products.
Take it from someone who has owned rvs for years, find an older one that is still in one piece. It has been tried and tested. We have a 91 that is as tight as can be.
pianisttra@yahoo.com

Trailer Trash 2

Santa Fe Springs, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/09 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Keystone knew they had a problem did they notify the owners of these RV with the defect? I would think if they didn't they should be liable for not informing the customer and fixing the problem.
I had a crack in my Monty but it showed up with in the warintee period and was fixed by them.

Good luck on your class action suit.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

Dean VP

Snohomish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can relate a bit to your pain. We too own a 2006 Keystone Montana and have had nothing but grief with it. Although we haven't noticed the problem you have described but have heard of others who have. We have so many different problems that they are too numerous to list here. As a member of the MOC Forum, there have been identical problems reported by 10's to 100's of Montana owners that are clearly a manufacturers defect. Many clearly merit a factory recall. But other than some supplier recalls such as Dometic Refrigerators due to a fire hazard which Dometic initiated on their own, there have been very few, if any, Keystone Montana recalls.

Keystone as well as many other RV Manufacturers are getting by with building low quality products, relying on typical buyer limited usage in the first year, and then getting off the hook later due to the short 1 year warranty. Those that use the Montana's more than a typical RV owner are the ones that have experienced the most problems. If we observe the same problem you are having, WE would be happy and eager to join you in your efforts in a NY minute.

PS: I happened to use the words "Class Action Suit" on the MOC Forum and was immediately warned, by the Forum moderator, to never do that again. Negative comments are suppressed. So one does not get an accurate picture of what Keystone/Montana owners are really experiencing. I apologise for being so negative but facts are facts. The truth needs to be told. However, on a positive note, due to the fact that so many other Montana owners on the MOC Forum that have experienced the same problems as we have, the forum has been very helpful to us and probably made it possible for us to get through the first couple years of ownership. I suspect these same issues are similar with most, if not all, RV manufacturers. Until we RV buyers demand better quality and hold manufacturers responsible and accountable, nothing will improve. Others write our particular problems off as us having received a lemon but many others have experienced the same identical problems. An unfortunate Polyanna environment.

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/09 01:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dean, I joined the MOC forum to learn about tires, and was kicked off for not owning a Monty. They are a very protective group that does not want to talk about any problems with their product. As far as I can tell, one can not even read post on there without being a member. Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

Dean VP

Snohomish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 01:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris, I can tell you all about the Mission tire problem. Went through 5 of them in 10,000 miles. Had to have all of them replaced. Fortunately never damaged the RV. The Mission tire issue is just another example of when a recall should have occurred. A huge and I mean a huge amount of Montana owners all had failures. I am absolutely amazed that some kind of major accident hasn't occured. Maybe one or more has happened but has been surpressed. I don't know how many Missions are still on RV's but if I was in management at Keystone or Tireco, USA Mission distributor, I would not be able to sleep. Or if I had them on my RV I wouldn't even hook up to the RV. The Chinese Mission tire name doesn't exist anymore. Wonder why that is? But no recall!

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/09 01:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the tires, "the name has been changed to protect the quilty", China keeps producing them, they just change the name if there are too many complaints, and heaven forbid if we,(USA), say anything bad about these Chinese products that are everywhere now. Toys, drywall and tires, you'd think someone would have spoken up by now in the Federal Government

Didn't mean to hyjack your thread, hope you get everything worked out with the Montana's...Manufacturers should be held to a higher quality standard and until a bunch of us consumers start raising cane, we'll just keep getting what a lot of people on these forums have written some horror stories about. I can't understand why you can't talk about it on the Montana Owners Site, you'd think THEY would want to get it fixed as opposed to having people think "all is well with the product". Sounds like more than a few of you have some legitimate gripes.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 02:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fifth-wheel issue sounds like a Lippert frame issue if Lippert manufactures their fromes for the 5-ers.

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same problem early Montana's had, and Keystone fixed most all of them.

This is an old problem, known for years about certain years of Montana's built, and I suppose the Challenger as well.

This is specifically aimed at the crack located below the front bottom of the bedroom slide. Keystone made I guess it would be called an expansion cover to put in that location. You may note a little raised square of material in that area on some Montana's. That was the fix.

The rest, I surely do not know.

I do know however that you would have been better off joining a forum like this a long time ago, instead of waiting until you had a problem. Lot of folks here know their RV's well, and there is a Montana owners forum full of information from long ago concerning the crack below the front bedroom slide.

It is really like closing the barn door after the horse has gotten loose to wait for problems before checking the resources now available on the Internet for RV owners. These places have been around since on or before 2003. I checked many before getting my fifth wheel in 2003, and read thoroughly.

It helped.

Best of luck with your situation.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan, Korey & Rocky
2011 Ford F350 Power Stroke dually
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you first posted about your problems on 08/07/2008 you stated you needed $15,000 dollars of work because of a crack, a bedroom slide leak, and a kitchen slide problem. Some other problems were covered with your 7-year extended warranty.

Now it has progressed to seeking info for a class-action lawsuit?

Your issues are many but, your unit is out of warranty. You say you have an extended warranty...thats who you need to deal with, although I suspect if you read the terms and conditions of that warranty you will be disappointed with the coverage.

When you first posted you were advised by memebers of this forum that the estimates for the repairs seem really high, and offered suggestions for getting it fixed. I agree that the $15K seems very high.

Long and short, Keystone has a pretty good reputation for warranty work. Your unit is out of warranty. Your choices are simple 1. Use you 7-year extended warrany. 2. Try an insuarance claim. 3. pay for the repairs yourself.

I suggest getting some different estimates to repair your unit. When the unit is out of warranty YOU are responsible for the repairs. Did you have crack stress relived yet? It will only get worse without it. No class action needed. Good luck finding a reputable repair operation.

-rog

pianisttra

wv

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/09 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok, to answer some of the replies.

One person is going to blame me for not joining a forum, that if I would have I would not be having this problem?
I don't think I should have to be looking for problems.

Keystone has admitted that this was a manufacture defect. The unit was not used enough for the problem to show up. I was told by Camping World that it should not have shown up this quick.

This is an underlying problem, unseen to the human eye.
When you pay that much for a product, you assume that you get what you pay for.

Yes maybe I should have done more research to companies that will not stand behind their products.

As far as legal action, why do you think that if you clearly have a defect, some you fix and some you don't want to, that this is not a deception by this company?
I clearly asked when I bought the unit what to do to keep up the maintance. Not once was I warned, "keep your eye out for cracks due to weak joints and frame problems".

That sound silly but if they knew....

The cost for the crack is not the entire amount.
One area in the kit, no one can tell me why the floor is rotten in the corner. Two different Keystone reps looked at it two different states. Do you not find that odd?

The insurance company did pay for the other area, but due to faulty manufacturing would not pay for the crack.

My 7 year, don't believe bumper to bumper if they try to sell it to you, didn't touch any of it.

The person that told me about the frame manufacturer, please expound on this and if anyone has dealt with them.

For any who are defensive on the behalf of Keystone, I am glad you are not having the problems I am, but understand you are not looking at 9 years still owing $28,000 on the thing and it falling apart. What will go next?
Thanks for those who understand my pain.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keystone crack in side wall....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS