Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: fiberglass roof replacement

Posted By: aroundthescenes on 04/30/09 12:15am

Hey everyone, my dad just gave me his 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 34ft class A motohome, be bought a new one. He says that it needs a new roof. I thought it was rubber due to the fact of how much stuff my dad had painted on it over the years for sealing leaks or what ever. The owners manual show that it is fiberglass just like the side panels. I have done searchs this whole week and can not find anyplace to buy the fiberglass roof panel so I can replace the entire roof. I have also done searchs on if I can change to a rubber roof, I have helped a friend do his entire RV roof replacement.(we had to do a lot of wood work on his also) I am in the Los Angeles area an any information on fiberglass roof replacement, or where I can buy the entire roof panel would be of great help.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 04/30/09 05:04am

what is the problem with the roof? can you take it down to bare fiberglass and then get line-x, rhino liner on it?
bumpy

Posted By: gonzo71 on 04/30/09 09:51pm

aroundthescenes wrote:

aroundthescenes wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

what is the problem with the roof? can you take it down to bare fiberglass and then get line-x, rhino liner on it?
bumpy

It looks like my dad had painted some kind of rubber type seal over the entire roof many times. It also looks like that by the front cap he has put some patchs and there seems to be soft spots in that area.

But you both are right, I should try to strip it down to the base and see how bad it is, and look at what kind of patch jobs were done by the front cap.

I will add to this post with in the next few days after I start stripping down the roof area.

So here is the deal. I went to star waggons, I do work for the studios so I got great advice. They told me to pull back the fibergalss roof up front where there needs some wood replaced as the main roof luan. The rockwood RV has a 1 1/2 inch aluminum tube framing on the walls and roof, with only 2x4 used in between them.

They said to take out the old insluation and replace it and put new luan on the roof then put the fiberglass back over and glue it down.

then they said clean the entire roof remove all the items on the roof and glue new luan right onto the fiber glass roof , then cover the entire roof with a new rubber roof and seal with eternabond and such. that is what they do with there older trailers.

sounds good to me, will keep this updated and take pictures to post.

Did they give you a quote for that. On a MH that already got a rubber roof it is a $5000 or more project. With the additional work you could run at $7K to $10K.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER LOOK FOR 71Gonzo71

Daddy..Carsten
Mommy..Leah
Baby..Jewell 12 yrs
2002 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34SBD, W22 Workhorse, 8.1L Vortec
2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX-L (lil toad)

Click here to visit my RV Blog

Posted By: 50pascals on 04/30/09 05:44am

I would be surprised if it need replacing. But www.all-rite.com has the material.

Get your wallet ready!

Retail price is $36 a foot, TPO about 1/3 that price. You may want to change material.

Posted By: aroundthescenes on 04/30/09 08:12am

Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

It looks like my dad had painted some kind of rubber type seal over the entire roof many times. It also looks like that by the front cap he has put some patchs and there seems to be soft spots in that area.

But you both are right, I should try to strip it down to the base and see how bad it is, and look at what kind of patch jobs were done by the front cap.

I will add to this post with in the next few days after I start stripping down the roof area.

Posted By: aroundthescenes on 04/30/09 07:36pm

aroundthescenes wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

bumpy

So here is the deal. I went to star waggons, I do work for the studios so I got great advice. They told me to pull back the fibergalss roof up front where there needs some wood replaced as the main roof luan. The rockwood RV has a 1 1/2 inch aluminum tube framing on the walls and roof, with only 2x4 used in between them.

They said to take out the old insluation and replace it and put new luan on the roof then put the fiberglass back over and glue it down.

then they said clean the entire roof remove all the items on the roof and glue new luan right onto the fiber glass roof , then cover the entire roof with a new rubber roof and seal with eternabond and such. that is what they do with there older trailers.

sounds good to me, will keep this updated and take pictures to post.

Posted By: Deen on 07/08/09 08:33pm

davepcpowernet wrote:

Dave
Who the heck lives in Battleground?

My son and family for one and we get out there to eat fish in the Albertsons mall once in a while!

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 05/01/09 04:55am

OK, so those are the two options, remove fiberglass and rebuild/insulate roof or leave existing roof in place and glue plywood down on it and cover it with rubber?
If I did option B I would certainly look into line-xing the new plywood myself, instead of using rubber with it's issues.
bumpy

Posted By: davepcpowernet on 05/02/09 08:19pm

50pascals wrote:

If your roof is anything like every other one I've worked on, you can get the foam at any home building supply place.

Also, FYI - You can get luan down to 1/8" thick. My whole roof was made with 1/8"

I think 5/32" is 1/32" thicker than 1/8".

Dave

Posted By: davepcpowernet on 07/08/09 07:54pm

How is the roof job coming?

Posted By: 50pascals on 05/02/09 06:13am

If your roof is anything like every other one I've worked on, you can get the foam at any home building supply place.

Also, FYI - You can get luan down to 1/8" thick. My whole roof was made with 1/8"

Posted By: aroundthescenes on 05/01/09 11:20pm

OK, so they gave me 35foot of roof rubber, the glue, and lap sealent. I ordered the eternabond tape, I went to the hardware store and bought 9 sheets of 5/32 luan, and liquid nails. I am ready to pull off the old roofs in the soft areas and redo the wood. I found the MFG of the styrafoam insultation in Thousand Oaks CA, only about 30 miles from me, just waiting to see how much I will need to replace.

Print  |  Close