Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Hot water heater

Posted By: North Shore on 04/30/09 07:11pm

I recently purchased a 2006 Starcraft Travelstar 19ck with no owners manual, of course. My question is how do I turn up the heat on the water heater? It's barely luke warm. there is a hex nut located on the outside area with red paint and blue paint on it, I'm thinking this must be the adjustment. Also, does this heater have an electric heating element as well as gas? The gas comes on for 10 to 15 minutes then never comes on again that I have noticed yet water remains luke warm. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted By: FXSTOHIO on 04/30/09 07:14pm

Need more info what is model of water heater, is there a pilot light?

2008 Pilgrim Lite 21LRB
2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 Double Cab 4x4 5.3 V8 3.42 Rear End
Yamaha EF2400IS
Amateur Call N8HXR

Posted By: North Shore on 04/30/09 07:18pm

Yes there is a pilot light and the gas seems to work well. I can't find a model number or maker anywhere on the unit although half the instructions are in french, if that helps.

Posted By: DutchmenSport on 04/30/09 07:19pm

Congrats on your new trailer. Hope you have lots of good times and many happy trips.

About luke-warm water. The easiest thing to track down is the shower. If you have an outside shower, make sure the knobs are both turned off. If just the shower head is off and the knobs are on, the water is back-feeding into the hot line. The water will never get hot. Same is true for your bath-tub/shower. Make sure the knobs are off.

I almost promise you, that's the problem. It happens to ALL of use when our trailers are new!

About electric? Look for a switch on the water heater (the outside access panel). It's probably a little toggle switch with a cotter pin running through it. DO NOT TURN IT ON if you do not have water in the tank. Same as in your house. No water in the tank will burn up the electric heating element within seconds!

Some RV has the electric switch inside the trailer. Look for a heating element, or heating element wires on the water heater, accessed from the outside panel.

Good luck!

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

Posted By: DraginRat on 04/30/09 07:21pm

have you tried adjusting the hex nut? If that is not the adjustment, I am thinking that if the thermostat is set "lukewarm", the gas isn't going to fire very often.

Ken Gasbarri

Posted By: b_salgado on 04/30/09 07:24pm

Also, check the backside of the water heater for bypass valves. THese are used for winterizing and they need to be reversed for use. There could be 1,2, or 3 valves on the rear depending on TT model. Look into it and post back your findings. We can help you from there.

04 Lariat Supercrew 4x4,5.4,3.73, Edge tuner, flowmaster duals
06 Trail Bay 31BH, nicely optioned
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy
Follow vehicle, 05 KIA Sorento EX for the golden retrievers.

Posted By: kaymann on 05/01/09 06:53am

North Shore wrote:

I have three valves located under my table seat and I opened all three when I dewinterized the tanks. that is correct I'm assuming.

Not exactly,

Winterizing and during the cleaning of the lines of anti-freeze:
Hot closed
Cold closed
Hot to cold open

After cleaning the lines of anti-freeze and during everyday use:
Hot open
Cold Open
Hot to cold closed

2003 Toyota Sequoia
2001 Coleman Sun Valley CT - sold
2004 Fleetwood Redwood Highlander - sold
2008 Freedom Lite 279TB

Posted By: North Shore on 04/30/09 07:33pm

I have all the bypass valves open and have flushed the system everything working well, only luke warm water last weekend. well see if my adjustment works.

Posted By: Family-of-five on 04/30/09 07:40pm

North Shore wrote:

I just adjusted the hex nut more to the red side of the dial and the heater seems to be running much longer than last weekend while camping (I did not have my hex wrenches along). Do these heat with gas and then switch to electric when plugged in? I have the trailer in my driveway so I can play with it.
You can choose to heat with gas OR electric if you have power.Use only one source at the time.As far as I know you have to switch it manually from one source to another.The problem you were having with low water temp sounded like a winterizing bypass valve was not closed.I,ve been there

Posted By: b_salgado on 04/30/09 07:44pm

North Shore wrote:

I have all the bypass valves open and have flushed the system everything working well, only luke warm water last weekend. well see if my adjustment works.
The valve between the hot and cold line needs to be closed. If it is open, It will allow hot and cold to mix and give you lukewarm water. valve position is as follows:
Cold in= open
Hot out= open
hot to cold valve= closed

Posted By: North Shore on 04/30/09 08:08pm

I have three valves located under my table seat and I opened all three when I dewinterized the tanks. that is correct I'm assuming.

Posted By: North Shore on 04/30/09 08:18pm

Ahaaa!! Closed middle valve and now have really nice hot water!! Thanks so much everyone for all the help!! Whew!

Posted By: b_salgado on 04/30/09 07:29pm

Your water heater valves will be located in the bottom of the cabinet to the left side of your stove. It looks like a Suburban heater by the outside cover.

Posted By: North Shore on 04/30/09 07:30pm

I just adjusted the hex nut more to the red side of the dial and the heater seems to be running much longer than last weekend while camping (I did not have my hex wrenches along). Do these heat with gas and then switch to electric when plugged in? I have the trailer in my driveway so I can play with it.

Posted By: 9899chrislisa on 05/02/09 12:01am

This past Oct we also picked up an '06 19ck with no owner's manual. Found one on-line Owner's Manual. It was a little helpful, but I found that asking questions here gets me better results.

Chris '77 married Lisa '61 w/5 children, 2 left at home
DS'95 full time camper
DS'97 full time camper
Moses,OC,and Chloe 3 camping cats
2006 Travelstar 19CK w/2001 Dodge Durango
**gone but not forgotten 2007 FLEETWOOD GRAPHITE W/'99 Olds Shilouette**

Posted By: dh500 on 05/01/09 02:55pm

I have an '05 195ck & I imagine most of the systems are the same. If you would like the manual to the water heater or any other manual, let me know and I will scan mine and e-mail it to you.
Dawn

Posted By: dh500 on 05/01/09 03:00pm

Didn't have to scan mine. This is the same owner's manual for the water heater in my '05 19ck
Installation and Operational Manual

Print  |  Close