|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class B+ to C Mercedes Diesel 3.0 V-6 Engines

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
brianandsharons

Anywhere-USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I want to thank everyone for their response! We greatly appreciate it very much.
To answer jd's questions: Yes, we definityly are ready to downsize for what we are planning on doing. And second, no we cannot go without the rv at any point.
We are full time Rv'ers and live in our unit. We work summers for the C.O.E and play in the winter. We have one more year of a contract and than we plan on boondocking accross america (and not always in a Wal-Mart parking lot!).

* This post was edited 05/16/09 03:28pm by brianandsharons *

Brian, Sharon & Leah

brianandsharons

Anywhere-USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been looking at the Winnebago Deisels; but the more we research we are now gearing towards the Itasca Cambria or the Winnebago Aspect. We don't want anything longer than 24-26 feet and if we have to go with a slide-out; then just one.

Now we have a new question to ask everyone. What is the opinion on the Ford V-10 engine? We know there has been problems in the past, but does anyone know if they are a good engine now? On the size we are looking at, can you tell us what kind of mileage we will be getting?

klewisd

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were seriously considering a class c on the sprinter chassis. We drove two units, a Fleetwood, and a Four Winds. The reason I initially was considering thesMercedes Diesel:e, was due to the diesel engine. The last seven years we owned a 38' diesel pusher (DP). I was not even considering a gas powered unit. However, after driving both of the units on the Sprinter chassis, I personally felt that they both seemed a little underpowered, especially as I wanted to tow a dinghy.
I finally decided to reconsider the possibility of owning a gas rig. I test drove a couple of units with on the Ford E-450 chassis and the V-10 gas engine. I only have 900 miles on mine, and the mileage so far has been just under 9 mpg, while towing.
Consider this:
Mercedes Diesel: 154 hp @280fp of torque. GVWR @11,030# (I used the Winnebago specs)
Ford V-10: 305 Hp @ 420 fp of torque. GVWR @ 14,500# (My unit)
My unit has 31% more weight but the gas engine puts out 50% more torque than the diesel.
If you need a toad, the V-10 might be a better option. I suggest to test drive and make your decision based on your observations.
Good Luck!

Keith & Elaine
2009 Monaco Montclair

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianandsharons wrote:

Now we have a new question to ask everyone. What is the opinion on the Ford V-10 engine? We know there has been problems in the past, but does anyone know if they are a good engine now? On the size we are looking at, can you tell us what kind of mileage we will be getting?

The V10 is a terrific engine. Even our older one is a great engine with good power. Our mileage is 7-8 in a 30 foot C towing a car. The V10 obviously uses a lot more fuel than the Sprinter chassis, but as was pointed out the V10 has nearly twice the horsepower and 140 more ft.lbs. of torque.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

klhutch

Sububan Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/09 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianandsharons wrote:

There will always be people who prefer the Chevy engine or the V10's predecessor but even most of them will grudgingly admit that the V10 is a very fine engine. The only major issue I have heard of was spark plug spitting and that was fixed with a head design change sometime in the 2003 MY. Our first MH had the V10, a 2004 MY, and it was a great engine for a MH in the size range you are considering. Our 23 foot BT Cruiser could have gotten by nicely with a little less power, in fact. It got about 10 mpg most of the time although that varies heavily with terrain and how heavy your foot is. People here say that in commercial use, with proper maintenance, they can last more than 250k.

Our present MH is powered by the Chevy 6.0L V8 and while it too is a great powerplant for the vehicle it gets about 1 mpg less (to be fair the Coachmen is not as aerodynamic as the Gulfstream was) and the V10 has the advantage of being made by a company that is not about to go bankrupt....

No one here can guarantee how reliable the particular V10 you buy will be but typically they are reliable and they are well suited to the task of powering a class C MH.

Ken

marknpat

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/09 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the '09 Itasca Cambria (30'), which is a bit longer than you are considering. The prior year models are likely what you are looking at and are good options for you to consider. IMHO, you can't go wrong with 1 slide to give you a bit more space. We have the E450 engine that handles our MH and towed Jeep just fine. Towing we average 8-9 MPG, not towing average 10-11 MPG. I would expect the 24 - 26 foot RV would get about the same or just a bit better MPG. I'm sure other owners of the size/model you mention will help out with more information. Not sure what "problems with the Ford V-10" you knew about, but if you can be more specific maybe you will get some feedback. I am a longtime Ford truck owner, and now a Ford V-10 RV owner with no issues at all. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark and Pat
09 Itasca Cambria 28B
08 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (TOAD)
06 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 5.7 Hemi
"Fun is standard, Pavement is optional" JEEP

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/09 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only met one person. Who wishes his Sprinter had more power or a lighter toad to pull.
We like our Aspect 29H. Plenty of room and power.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're new owners of an '06, 23.5'Aspect. Put in 2 trips, so we have some experience to share.

First of all, as you have seen, Ron Dittmer is a great resource. His info was very helpful in making our purchase.

This was our first MH, but we have many years of towing/camping TT's. The big change was the lack of storage space. We always towed w/ a full size Ford van so there was plenty of room for toys/tables/chairs etc.

The Aspect is on a Ford E350 chassis with the V10. Our last trip of 400 miles, approx 300 highway and 100 sightseeing, we saw 10.3 mpg. A trip that included both ways over a 4000 ft pass, we got 10.4 mpg. Ave highway speed is just under 65mph.

Evidently, on some of the V10's, there is an issue with excess heat radiated from the interior motor cover. We did find it warm to touch, but not a problem.

Overall, we are very happy with our purchase, good luck with yours!

- Norm

F1BNorm

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/09 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kendall69 wrote:

Some have already gotten 600K on the Sprinter Engine,here's quote from another site.

"We have a Sprinter in the area (UPS) that has over 600k miles on the same engine and tranny. Makes the long run from the thumb to metro and Lansing airports every day."

I have the same engine in the bus version that seats 12 People and the engine is bullet proof so far 40K and never been to the dealer other than oil changes.

My mileage is between 18 and 22 depending on how I drive. I git rid of a GMC 3500 Dually where the best I got was 12Mpg, so I'm happy.

The dilemma is how small can you go and still be happy.

My challenge is get a V10 with tons of room for half the price of a Sprinter model and get the 8-10mpg, OR get the Sprinter 18-20mpg, cost 90K and is cramped?

I cannot see how they justify the prices on all things 'Sprinter' - so out of whack. On a motorhome, wouldn't the living quarters fall apart long before you got any advantage from engine longevity? And obviously the price differential buys lots of gas to compensate for lower mileage.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/09 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ours is a I 5 cyc M/B diesel runs great gets over 20 mpg , the V 6 is under that about 14/18 you;ll love these rigs our;S is a 2007 LTV freedom II serenity . perfect for two people .power not a problem .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class B+ to C Mercedes Diesel 3.0 V-6 Engines
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS