Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Diesel Pusher on the Beach/Sand??

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 12:49pm

I'll be heading out on Wednesday for Memorial Day weekend... gonna plop the DP down on the beach/sand at a near by lake. Just curious if there are any tips/tricks to sand driving w/a DP. Are you better off driving forwards or in reverse when in sand? I plan to walk the area pretty good ahead of time, but just not sure how much/deep of sand one of these things can get through.

Thanks in advance!

'02 Sportscoach Limited
CAT 330, Allison 6-speed
07 Jeep Rubicon Limited Lifted w/35's for a Toad
or Sometimes pulling the 25' Deckboat

Posted By: 2ndhom on 05/19/09 01:00pm

First and foremost ... stay away from driving/parking in sand. You didn't indicate the weight/size of your RV but I can't remember ever being on/in sand that would support a RV .... even in Daytona Beach where the sand is hard packed. Best insurance ... "KEEP OFF"!!

Posted By: Troubleshooter on 05/19/09 01:15pm

Oh-No..........
Bad memories coming back to light.....
Had a feloow decide to drive his Beaver D/P out on the beach where all the 'gasser' motor homes were camped near the mouth of the Anchor River in Alaska.
He made it almost 1/2 mile, and nearly got up to a hard-stand rocky area where the others were camped when the bottom fell out.
Six of us spent three days jacking, digging, and hauling rocks to build a firm bed for him to be able to pull up on the hard-stand.
If you do decide to pull your D/P out on the sand, just let your conscience be your guide.

Only One Old Fellow's Opinion

Bill
2002 Discovery 3126E CAT
2004 Saturn VUE
Mountain Master Tow Brake

Posted By: 427435 on 05/19/09 01:17pm

If you plan on driving on sand, make sure you have a towing contract!!!

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 01:30pm

The decision has been made... so not doing it is not an option. Looking for helpful hints on the driving part. I've driven plenty of other vehicles in the sand and know that a DP can drive in some loose ground, just wondering if anyone has "wheel time" in the sand with a DP and can give any helpful driving tips. I've got a buddy that lives in the country and his whole parking area is sand so it can be done, just wondering how deep of sand and any tips someone might have.

Thanks...

Posted By: Mirage3250 on 05/19/09 01:31pm

Be sure to take a camera so you can share some photo's....

37' Mirage Triple slider, '03 GMC 1 T Ext.Cab Dually, Duramax/Allison GO SOONERS!!

Posted By: Galvanizd on 05/19/09 01:56pm

Saw this at Pismo Beach Calif. awhile back. He too was taking his coach out on the sand , no matter what. He prepaid a tow truck (150.00) and planned on getting stuck. He made no bones about it. He knew he was gong to get stuck in the sand. He let some air out of his tires and had someone in a car scout ahead for him and tried to stay on the hardpack as long as he could. He kept moving and did not stop at all until he got where he was going. He did ok and made it to where he wanted to go and got stuck pulling into the area he wanted. He left it right there until he was ready to leave, the tow came and pulled him out.

I wouldn't do it but.....it's your coach, you can do what you want. We used to take our old beater Class C out there but it was a tad lighter than our DP.

What this guy didn't plan for was the wind. The wind came up. He had slides out. That fine sand went everywhere. Didn't figure it would be good for the slides or anything else mechanically.

Have a good time.

Posted By: f.wernlein on 05/19/09 02:01pm

I've driven my 33' front wheel drive coach onto sand at Padre Island in TX and up at Sauble Beach in Ont. Canada. Both are well traveled by heavy vehicles...some types of sand can support an RV...as I have seen it done. I can only caution that as conditions change (moisture, drainage changes, underlying materials, previous vehicle ruts, etc) the abilty to support and allow traction for a bus can change.

For me, I want to see the path taken by a similar weight vehicle so I can assess the track. I also like to see how someone else has parked and what settleing has occurred. I also want to see the tidal range and make sure I am well above it and will always have a clear way out.

IF you get stuck, the first tip is never try to rock your RV back and forth or spin your wheels as I have heard from many sources that this can damage transmission and diffs. The second tip is that most of the wreckers will try to just pull you out without digging a ramp out and if not carefully done, will damage your RV.

I've done it twice. I loved the locations. I did not like driving on it at all. I doubt if I'll do it again....just my opinion.

Frank W.
1985 BlueBird Wanderlodge

Posted By: AZPops on 05/19/09 02:07pm

Hogboss wrote:

Just curious if there are any tips/tricks to sand driving w/a DP.

Trick is to stay off of the sand! This is a problem when boondocking in the desert. Even when walking ahead, the sand/ground may seem solid enough but, once the weight hits it, it's a different story.

Why not park in a safe area, then take the car or 4 wheel drive to enjoy the beach.

As Galvaized posted, it's your rig. So do as you please but, after the trip tell us how it went.

Pops

PS I use to boondock in the desert with my 30 foot gasser but, will not even consider it in my DP.

* This post was last edited 05/19/09 02:43pm by AZPops *

Posted By: Bob/Olallawa on 05/19/09 02:11pm

Hogboss wrote:

The decision has been made... so not doing it is not an option. Looking for helpful hints on the driving part. I've driven plenty of other vehicles in the sand and know that a DP can drive in some loose ground, just wondering if anyone has "wheel time" in the sand with a DP and can give any helpful driving tips. I've got a buddy that lives in the country and his whole parking area is sand so it can be done, just wondering how deep of sand and any tips someone might have.

Thanks...

I just don't know what all these people are afraid of. You can do it, go ahead and go. There is the answer you are looking for, feel better now. Heck, sell tickets to the "play" you can help pay the wrecker costs that way.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Posted By: jedfoley on 05/19/09 02:15pm

I see lots of people driving cars and trucks on the beaches in Texas, and they get stuck sometimes. I can't recall seeing anyone drive a diesel class A RV onto the beach, and there are some real wild people down here--did I mention that some people were crazy enough to ride out Hurricane Ike?

I would look at renting a 4WD vehicle and trailer to tow it. Find a safe spot to set up your RV and then drive the 4WD to the beach.

You could be on your way to internet infamy, or at least many hours of annoyance if you drive a vehicle that heavy onto sand or mud.

Posted By: rebel462 on 05/19/09 02:16pm

Straight line is your best bet,when you turn your front wheels they will plow the sand and stall you out. This applies to backing up also. I had long rubber mats to use under my trucks when off road in soft sand,they work great,costly if you only use once. One man can pull them around on the ground if it is dry.
Check out the parking spot where you want to end up, try to go as straight as possible. Keep in mind to only stop when you are pointing the direction to drive out, if possible. The biggest problem will be if you sink and sit on the frame,game over. Good Luck
Rebel

Posted By: NotQuiteWT on 05/19/09 02:17pm

I buried my DP last year after an unforcasted rain storm came in when we were parked on grass. It took me and a friend 6 hours of lifting (with the leveling jacks, blocking, boards,etc to move 20 ft.

I do not recommend it.

Not to mention possible damage fron towing ( thats another experience I have had)

2006 Excursion 39L - Spartan 350hp Cat
2008 GMC Acadia
2001 Chevy HD lifted 4x4
1995 HD Badboy

All Black!

Posted By: 2chiefsRus on 05/19/09 01:36pm

427435 wrote:

Check your towing contract to see how far off the road you can be without incurring an additional charge.

FWIW, I wouldn't do it.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

Posted By: Gadget Guy on 05/19/09 02:20pm

First you want to air down your tires as much as possible without breaking the bead so it is important that you carry a good air compressor to air up once you get out of the sand. Next I would carry at least 2 pieces of plywood 2 ft by 8 ft by at least 1 inch thick to put under the wheels when you get stuck. Remember that once it stops, don't try rocking or anything else. You don't want the unit to dig it self down. Also carry a couple of 2 ft by 2 ft plywood at least 2 inches thick to put under the jacks. Then lift the unit and put the long plywood strips under the rear wheels. Sometimes you get enough forward motion to keep going, other times you jack up again, plywood under wheels and go another 8 feet. Have fun!!!!! Oh, take a shovel.

Posted By: SRT on 05/19/09 02:25pm

Don't forget to post your pictures of your DP on the beach.

SRT
2000 32' HR Vacationer with Banks
1998 Subaru Outback Ltd. 5 spd
Brake Buddy & Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar
FMCA #266040 HRRVC #84109

Posted By: havasufun on 05/19/09 02:38pm

I see you have had lots of help on this one! Driving on sand..

1. Try to see or better yet walk to where you intend to end up
2. Disconnect anything towed
3. Drive where others have driven but not where others have torn up the surface
4. Do not STOP or turn sharp until you reach where your going to camp
5. I never air down my tires in the MH; I may drop them from 115 to 95 but never lower(to many potential problems).
6. Do this during the DAY, not night
7. I keep a sheet of ¾ plywood I ripped in half for when I do get stuck; I have never had the need for a tow or pull. But there always seem to be that kid with the giant 4X4 ready and able to show off and pull you.
8. If you get stuck a few gallons of water over the path out will help in sand.

Relax and have fun if you go near salt water wash the undercarriage completely ASAP.

Paul

2004 Alfa See Ya Gold 40' 400 ISL, Hummer H3 Toad,Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab Toad, 24' Hallmark Cargo Trailer, 20' Carson Toy Hauler when we need the extra room.

Posted By: chastho on 05/19/09 03:06pm

If you can stay on the wet sand no problem, dry sand and you have a serious problem.

Posted By: kix on 05/19/09 03:19pm

I'm all for it.....get it on! Just tell me when and where this event is taking place so I can be there to buy your DP cheap.

KIX
'02 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
350hp Cummins ISC
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
5.7 L HEMI

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 03:22pm

Bob/Olallawa wrote:

I just don't know what all these people are afraid of. You can do it, go ahead and go. There is the answer you are looking for, feel better now. Heck, sell tickets to the "play" you can help pay the wrecker costs that way.

Please note Bob: I did NOT ask if it was a good idea, so "no" you're answer is not what I was looking for; simply any tips people have and in particular tips from people that have real time experience.

I honestly didn't think this would be that controversial. I do appreciate the replies from those couple/few that provided "real" experience tips.

And 'yes', I will take pictures of our rig on the beach for all those that think it can't be done. I've seen way too many get stuck, and I've seen plenty make it through.

Stay tuned!

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 03:26pm

kix wrote:

I'm all for it.....get it on! Just tell me when and where this event is taking place so I can be there to buy your DP cheap.

LOL... where's your sense of adventure?

Posted By: moparmaga2 on 05/19/09 03:32pm

I think that it is going to depend on where you are going. I see you are from NM, so you may be thinking about the Corpus Christi Area.

I HAVE SEEN MANY DIESEL PUSHERS on the beach close to Port Aransas. I have also seen Diesel Pushers near Mustang Island State Park, and some in the Padre Island National Seashore.

You can't go far in the national seashore though without a 4x4, and even then you get stuck if you go past where the cars pack it down.

If you are thinking of Matagorda beach in Texas or anything like that though, let me know and I will be there to take a video of you getting stuck. The nearest town of any size from there is Bay City, and it is pretty little, so that tow will run you into the thousands I would think.

Now if you are planning on Pismo in CA or some of the beaches on the East Coast, most likely you will get stuck, plan for it.

2009 Safari Cheetah 42' 425 HP Caterpillar
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 03:33pm

havasufun wrote:

I see you have had lots of help on this one! Driving on sand..

1. Try to see or better yet walk to where you intend to end up
2. Disconnect anything towed
3. Drive where others have driven but not where others have torn up the surface
4. Do not STOP or turn sharp until you reach where your going to camp
5. I never air down my tires in the MH; I may drop them from 115 to 95 but never lower(to many potential problems).
6. Do this during the DAY, not night
7. I keep a sheet of ¾ plywood I ripped in half for when I do get stuck; I have never had the need for a tow or pull. But there always seem to be that kid with the giant 4X4 ready and able to show off and pull you.
8. If you get stuck a few gallons of water over the path out will help in sand.

Relax and have fun if you go near salt water wash the undercarriage completely ASAP.

Paul

Thanks Paul... a lot of help in deed. Thanks for the tips. The sand you're use to in Havasu is a lot like ours her in NM. Been out to Havasu a number of times and love it... wish I was a hair closer.

Thanks again Paul and I noticed Gadget Guy had some helpful hints... thanks to both of you.

Let's just put an end to this thread... at least until I get back w/some pictures

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 03:36pm

moparmaga2, we're going to head down to Elephant Butte lake here in NM. Plenty of help around there if I find myself in need. Thanks for the heads up in TX... sometime maybe we'll try and get down that way - sound like it'd be a nice place to visit.

Posted By: Whtbass on 05/19/09 04:11pm

There are lots of places that I would drive on the sand but would make sure others are out there before I ventured on it. Even then I would explore in the dinghy to make sure. Padre Island has miles of beach that is safe to drive on. Just make sure you understand the limits of tide action. Daytona is also very good for large motorhomes.

Dave & Mary Anne
2006 Mountain Aire 43 ft
400cummins
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy
Brittany Named Cassie

Posted By: brobox on 05/19/09 04:15pm

If you have to do it, Carry LOTS of plywood!!!

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Posted By: GSF on 05/19/09 04:59pm

If you absolutely have to to do it, get yourself a set of "Tow Truck in a Box - the wide variety." Link After getting stuck in sand after just pulling off a road onto the shoulder, I've carried a set of these for several years and they really work.

George
97 Airstream Land Yacht
01 PT Cruiser Dinghy
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
Cappy - Pekinese Burglar Alarm

Posted By: rdalcanto on 05/19/09 05:07pm

This came up last year. The best trick I remember is to wet the sand with water if you get in trouble - supposed to work better than jacks and boards. Let us know what happens. P.S. - No way I'm taking my DP on the sand!

Posted By: RayChez on 05/19/09 05:09pm

Yea! Take a camera so that we can have a big laugh after your trip. The beach is not like if you were driving in New Mexico. You get stuck and you probably would burn up your transmission trying to get out. Sand is tricky. You might be driving on wet sand which is solid, but then the bottom will give at times and there you are stuck. I wouldn't take my DP on to sand 30K lbs is a might heavy. Then if you don't get it out before the tide?

Posted By: pusherpilot on 05/19/09 05:13pm

Saw a whole bunch of DP get pulled out of the mire at the Riverside county fairgrounds in Indio after an FMCA meet. They were pulling them out by their toad hitches. Also saw a bunch more towed at the Rally in Hutchinson Ks. The tow trucks did lots of damage in both places.
Good luch and let us know how you made out!!
Ron

Posted By: Cloud Dancer on 05/20/09 05:31am

Through the years, I've owned 5 gas motorhomes. AND, during ALL those years Elephant Butte was my 'home lake'. I've camped at all of their campgrounds, from Rock House up in the narrows down to Ash Canyon. On the sand, I used to deflate all the tires down to about 25 psi, but it was still treacherous.
Today, I own a DP. The only sand it's been on is Mustang Island Beach and South Padre, but only where it was hard-packed. I don't want to risk getting stuck, not with this rig. I use my little 4x4 Blazer toad for that(it's got outside hard-points, and I carry a dead-man and a good come-along, and other stuff).

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Posted By: bobofthenorth on 05/20/09 08:21am

Quote:

The decision has been made... so not doing it is not an option.

Frankly, this sounds like adolescent thinking to me.

Amen.

And I'm glad I won't be there to watch because I hate to see good equipment being abused. Its not that I don't like getting stuck - with the right group of guys and the right rigging on a decent day with the right protective clothing it can be a blast. I've seen quads submerged past the handlebars in muskeg and rescued them when they were floating. I've thrown trucks back onto the road with jackalls and I've walked for help when there was no other way out but I've also got enough brains to know that this coach isn't going off-roading. People don't realize how heavy these things are and how easy it is to get them hopelessly mired. This one dropped out of sight just sitting in our yard one spring when the frost went out and it took a 2 yard loader to pull it out.

Two things stood out in the video links - no old guys and only one pusher.

My website
My weblog

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/20/09 09:21am

Hogboss:

There are some good tips in this thread, whether you get stuck or not depends on the condition of the sand. If it is hard to walk in, probably not good to drive in.

I have been camping with RVs in the sand for about 9 years. Been stuck many times, so have the DPs in our group. All it takes is two 4WD full size pickups in a tandom tow to get out. If you don't have those, then boards, digging and water will do it. Anyway, no big deal if you have common sense.

The main thing is don't worry about it, just do it and enjoy the trip.

1995 33' Southwind Fleetwood Model LW

Posted By: 50pascals on 05/20/09 01:42pm

Can anyone give me advice on how to drive my rig across snow covered fields?

I realize it was NEVER intended for this, but I simply must do it. Don't try to talk me out of it.

Then after this I will try driving it on thin ice........

Posted By: WhiskeyTango on 05/20/09 01:51pm

Mount a winch on that thing!

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/20/09 01:55pm

50pascals wrote:

I realize it was NEVER intended for this, but I simply must do it. Don't try to talk me out of it.

Being from North Dakota, I have had to drive across snow covered fields to get the rig out of the barn. We had a long barn, so I could back it up against the wall and hit it. I would be at about 25 mph before I hit a foot of snow. Just keep it floor boarded. I could usually make it about 50 yards to the section line which is usually snow free. If I didn't make it, Dad would get the combine out and pull me to the section line.

About the ice...How thin are you taking? I wouldn't take the rig out on the lake if it was less than a foot thick. Again, the trick is to keep the speed up. At 40 mph, the ice can break under you, but you can keep moving. Under 40 mph, you risk going in. We have camped on the lake in the winter. It is a great time.

Let us know how you do.

Posted By: dshinnick on 05/20/09 02:46pm

I think he was kidding....

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/20/09 02:52pm

Oh....Uh its summer now. I should have known. Ah Jeeese. He got me.

Posted By: UltraKen on 05/20/09 04:21pm

50pascals wrote:

Have you thought about rope bridges?

UltraKen
Ex - 1968 Ultra Van
NOW - 1996 Safari Sahara 35' - Model 3530 - Cat 300
Pictures of my Coach
A $93 Rear Camera System
My take on replacing tires
Used MH Checklist
Toad: Dodge Grand Caravan on Tow Dolly or 1981 Vespa on utility trailer

Posted By: emiddleb on 05/20/09 04:54pm

Naw, you are looking at it from the wrong end... don't modify the track, modify the RV.

You've seen the Terra Wind (amphibious RV/Boat combo). What we need is for someone to come up with a RV/Hovercraft combo!

Picture that big Cat/Cummins spinning a monster fan on the back of the rig... and instead of tire pressure you only worry about air pressure under the skirt.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Posted By: mighty aphrodite on 05/20/09 05:04pm

2chiefsRus wrote:

427435 wrote:

Check your towing contract to see how far off the road you can be without incurring an additional charge.

FWIW, I wouldn't do it.

FWIW, I'm with YOU - I wouldn't do it either. But it's not my coach, it's not my money, it's not my time and it's not my aggravation.

Maybe we'll get to hear the tale of "Do you KNOW how LONG it took for a tow??? Do you know HOW much they wanted for the tow?" Afterall, "the decision has been made" - and maybe this decision will work out well......then again......

Posted By: mighty aphrodite on 05/20/09 05:08pm

50pascals wrote:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! I was having a hectic day until I read this post - - I have been laughing EVER since!!!!!!!

Posted By: Jim@HiTek on 05/20/09 06:11pm

Have been stuck in soft sand on a Mexican beach along the beautiful Carribean Ocean. Found that scooping out some sand, and having a heavy tow strap along with a friend in a heavy DP pulling worked great.

So, I'd say, along with some others, you should take a couple heavy tow straps and some heavy plywood and wood pieces.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

Posted By: 50pascals on 05/20/09 06:44pm

mighty aphrodite wrote:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! I was having a hectic day until I read this post - - I have been laughing EVER since!!!!!!!

That was my intention, your welcome!

emiddleb wrote:

You've seen the Terra Wind (amphibious RV/Boat combo). What we need is for someone to come up with a RV/Hovercraft combo!

Interesting you bring this up....

Long story short, a chance encounter with an amphibious bus on it's shakedown run led me to run into an old friend. I hadn't seen him in a few years. Turns out he invented the amphibious bus, the Terra Wind, the hydro car, etc. etc. His shop is 8 miles from my house!

The story of how he got into this is a good one. He had the right product at the right time. You know how they say "I'd rather be lucky than good" well he's a good guy that got lucky! He had the right craft at the right time!

Posted By: flstskeith on 05/20/09 07:13pm

I realy like the winch idea. I want a ticket to this show. Watching those videos didnt make me shake my head, I just wish I could have been there. (not as an owner) Obviously it can be done with the right conditions And equip to get out.

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/20/09 09:34pm

50pascals wrote:

mighty aphrodite wrote:

That was my intention, your welcome!

emiddleb wrote:

Interesting you bring this up....

Long story short, a chance encounter with an amphibious bus on it's shakedown run led me to run into an old friend. I hadn't seen him in a few years. Turns out he invented the amphibious bus, the Terra Wind, the hydro car, etc. etc. His shop is 8 miles from my house!

The story of how he got into this is a good one. He had the right product at the right time. You know how they say "I'd rather be lucky than good" well he's a good guy that got lucky! He had the right craft at the right time!

Is he still selling those? His webite looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Also, is he one of those eccentric rich guys...like that dude doing space tourism, or is he a regular guy like us that was in the right place at the right time? 'Cause how do you get funding to develop something like that?

Posted By: 50pascals on 05/20/09 09:50pm

Cousin_Eddy wrote:

Is he still selling those? His webite looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Also, is he one of those eccentric rich guys...like that dude doing space tourism, or is he a regular guy like us that was in the right place at the right time? 'Cause how do you get funding to develop something like that?

Yes, John is one of the most "normal" people you'd ever meet. Actually, he's a bit goofy and weird. Like many intellectual people. We worked together perfectly. In a crowded room, you'd never suspect he was the guy! Like lots of gifted people, he's always thinking, always looking for the next improvement.

Yes, still selling the buses, I don't know how many RV's, but while there he was taking phone calls about some other custom craft. The owner apparently wanted to move stuff around and it was going to throw off the weight distribution.

As far as funding. His family has had a successful fabrication business for two generations. Some people can save money. I can't, but for business endeavors I have friends with money. Someday...

Posted By: 69RoadRunner on 05/19/09 05:30pm

Ummm. My advice is don't try to maneuver by turning the wheel sharply.

Actually, my advice is to not play in the sand.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942
Bunkbeds for the munchkins

Posted By: AZPops on 05/19/09 07:15pm

Brad,

Nice rig...was ther any damage after getting you out?

Pops

PS Photos most always say more then a thousnd words.

Posted By: 69RoadRunner on 05/19/09 07:30pm

AZPops wrote:

Brad,

Nice rig...was ther any damage after getting you out?

Pops

PS Photos most always say more then a thousnd words.

Just this.

Posted By: RVUSA on 05/19/09 07:40pm

ouch.

Posted By: TEO on 05/19/09 08:01pm

I drove the beach on Cape Cod for years and never got stuck, but that was with a pickup camper and 4 wheel drive. Went to Daytona Beach many times and had no problem with a Class A Gasser. Foolishly tried to run the beach in St. Augustine where the sand was soft and not packed and burried it up to the axles. The beach ranger came by and told me it was going to cost a FORTUNE to get towed out. Several attempts at jacking, digging and placing boards didn't help. I finally resorted to the tactic I'd used up north. Normal pressure in the tires was 70 psi. I lowered the pressure to 35 all around and the motorhome just walked out of there. I stopped as soon as possible to air up the tires and all was well.

Being older and not much wiser, I'd choose NOT to go on sand again.

Paul

Paul & Helen
2002 Winnebago Journey DL
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco , and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

Posted By: dshinnick on 05/19/09 08:10pm

I was in the Navy in Jacksonville, Florida. I don't remember the details, but I ended up on the beach in my little Datsun. Got stuck, couldn't get out, and I remember standing there watching the tide come in and bury my little car. My family still ribs me about it, 30 years later. The beach is definitely something to be respectful of, when it comes to cars, planes, and RV's.

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/19/09 08:29pm

Thanks for the helpful advice... I'll take some photos whether successful or not... For those that said put some ply wood in the MH... THANKS... I just loaded some in... hopefully won't need it, but who knows. The beach is here in NM so no tides to worry about

Posted By: wdbates on 05/19/09 08:32pm

We have been stuck in the sand a time or two..I learned a tick from another guy that carried old carpet rolled up into like 12ft pieces..just jack the rig up put carpet under wheels and drive out...so far so good...

Warren
04 winnebago Brave 30w
workhorse chassis
Oak hills CA

Posted By: 427435 on 05/19/09 08:38pm

As I think about it, driving on sand is probably like driving on the lakes here in Minnesota during the winter. Only drive where others in vehicles as big/heavy as the one you're driving have already driven (and not left open water----or bad ruts in your case).

Posted By: SunflyerA on 05/19/09 10:04pm

427435 wrote:

As I think about it, driving on sand is probably like driving on the lakes here in Minnesota during the winter. Only drive where others in vehicles as big/heavy as the one you're driving have already driven (and not left open water----or bad ruts in your case).

Listening to that ice crack when a Suburban drives buy the ice house is a little unnerving.....can't imagine driving my DP on the lake....I would need new underware...

Posted By: RayChez on 05/19/09 11:06pm

Hogboss wrote:

Thanks for the helpful advice... I'll take some photos whether successful or not... For those that said put some ply wood in the MH... THANKS... I just loaded some in... hopefully won't need it, but who knows. The beach is here in NM so no tides to worry about

Where is there a beach in New Mexico? The Rio Grande?? LOL!

Posted By: RVUSA on 05/19/09 11:25pm

RayChez wrote:

Hogboss wrote:

Where is there a beach in New Mexico? The Rio Grande?? LOL!

Didnt he say a beach at a lake, way back?

Posted By: dezertcamper on 05/20/09 12:51am

I personally would not use plywood, unless you are gettng some thick plywood. My suggestion would be to get (4) 2 inch thick by 8 to 10 inch wide by and how ever long you can carry (8 foot maybe) plank boards. This way you can stick one infront of each front wheel and each back wheel. These will be thick enough you will not bend or brake threw them like you might with plywood. Also carry a spaided shovel for digging out infront of the tires and to clear the rear end if you sit the axle or hitch on the ground. Also get some "big" wood blocks you can put under the jacks as you can use these to help lift the coach, so you can fill in the holes under the wheels and help place the boards. When you do this you will sink the blocks if there not big enough, so be prepared to dig them out too! And dont even think of pulling a trailer in the sand. That will be the death nail in your attempt to drive across the sand.

Also knowing your going into this situation I would bring 2 20+ foot tow straps with you. Make sure they are the strongest straps you can find. You dont want to only use the straps to pull you out, as you will just stretch and brake them. But a 4X4 pulling as your trying to get up your ramps will give you that extra help needed. But dont let the guy try to jerk you out as it will do more damage then good. Just a steady tention will do the best. So this way once your out of the hole and you drive off the end of your ramps you can continue with the 4x4's help. Momentum is key!

Also like mentioned wet the sand or dirt in the path you want to take, this will help compact the dirt down. Also if you do air down the tires, be prepared to air them up as soon as you get on solid ground. I personaly would not be afriad to air down, as long as you are not spining the tire on the rim and your not riding on the rims you should be ok. But air them up right away! Dont think you can run down the road a mile or two on flat tires to the service station!

And before you head in or out of the sand walk your path. Look at other options and ask some of the others who are out there which way they went. You will be suprised what you might find by doing this. Its sucks to get stuck and find out it is hard packed 30 feet to your left! Also having a scout as your coming in or out will help, as they can stop other traffic as once your commited you cant afford to stop because some guy in a pick up truck thinks he can cut across your path.

And last but not least, bring some extra cash that you plan on spending as you might find a guy who is willing to help you, but his time and 4X4 are not free. Even if he does not give you a price, just know without his help your not getting out, so give the guy some money! If you can afford a DP and you are willing to take it in the sand, then you can afford a $100 bill!

Posted By: jagbev on 05/20/09 12:57am

Here are some instructional videos for you:

And finally... RV Beach driving - Not a good idea!

Posted By: SteveRankin on 05/20/09 02:36am

I spent a couple of years running an operation that takes people out to a lighthouse that's located on a sand spit 5+ miles from the shore. Because the spit is a wildlife refuge and because the "high ground" is covered with driftwood and large cobble, the spit is only passable at low tide. Since low tide depends on the moon and the sun, it tends to happen during daylight hours in the summer and o'dark-thirty in the winter which makes it even more interesting.

We make those runs in Chevy Suburban 4X4s with 6" lift, wide tires, air locker differentials, yada yada and they still get stuck. Now, what we've noticed is that the old 1500 Suburban gets through stuff the much heavier and more rugged 2500 gets stuck in. Why? Simple. I weighs 3,000# more on the same width tires.

So, apply this to a DP and it's not pretty. The same width tires as the 2500 Suburban but 30,000# instead of 10,000#. Plus, you can't air down the tires like we do on the Suburbans, nor do you have a suitable tread pattern.

Now, don't go thinking I'm afraid of getting stuck. Hardly. I'm off road pretty frequently doing wildlife rescue and salmon recovery work and not a stranger to getting stuck--last week I was monitoring a creek site at night and 'discovered' a spring. DW reached me with her truck about midnight and we got my truck out before noon the next day.

We've also gotten our DP stuck on our own property. Twice.

Walking the route before helps, but it's no guarantee. The field seems firm enough when I walked the field before I tried to drive the DP across it. And I'd driven my truck up that old Jeep trail to that creek at least once a day for a week and the part that caught me was a new soft hole in the easy part, AFTER I'd slogged through mud over a foot deep. It only takes one soft spot to stop you in your tracks.

"The decision has been made... so not doing it is not an option."

Frankly, this sounds like adolescent thinking to me.

IMHO, an adventure is tackling a challenge but using proper equipment. When DW & I made the decision to RV to more back woods locations, we sold the DP and went back to a 4X4 pulling a TT, both of which have been substantially upgraded for the purpose.

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page

Posted By: jedfoley on 05/21/09 09:24am

I suspect the OP has left the building...

Just the kibbitzers now, although I agree it is fun reading this thread with no particular place to go:-)

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/27/09 08:46am

tatest wrote:

What is your tire pressure, pounds per square inch? The sand you drive on needs that compressive strength, else you will sink in.

People who play in the sand will often reduce tire pressures from 22-35 psi used on the road down to 10-15 psi to stay on top of sand. The tires they use will flatten enough at reduced pressure, to double the contact area.

High pressure tires (80-150 psi) on heavy vehicles will not increase surface area by a factor of 10, if you reduce pressure to the 10-15 psi the sand will support. They'll just flatten so much, then you are on the sand with your rims.

If you really want to go out onto the beach, bring lots of cash for the tow truck, because your emergency road service policy probably doesn't cover recovery from intentional off-road situations.

Also, running tires low will fatigue the steel belts in the sidewall and cause zipper rupture down the road.

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/27/09 05:18am

Vncgrg wrote:

Hogboss
you did good this pass weekend or maybe you were lucky???
I was at the lake (Elephant Butte) in the Desert Cove
Reservation Area. We have been going to Elephant Butte
for years, and have witnessed several motorhomes getting
stuck in the sand. If you ever get stuck in the sand and
need help, look for us in the Desert Cove Area. Check our
signature...

Luck certainly never hurts... We were over at Hot Springs Landing... just up the way from you. I've witnessed a handful getting stuck myself. This past weekend, and probably/partly attributed to the rain, we didn't see as many folks getting pulled out. I certainly respect the sand and have raised hell in it a number of times myself pulling 5'ers. Hopefully at Lake Powell (July) we'll find some good spots on the beach as well.

Posted By: UltimaRV on 05/27/09 06:14am

And some people are just plain lucky too. We saw a Newmar out on the sand near Tarifa, Spain, last week. I have no idea how they got there either since we explored all directions for egress with the Jeep and most the Jeep nearly twisted apart before getting to the sand.

Next day it wasn't there and my belief is that it just sank in the sand -- and kept right on sinking until their satellite dish disappeared Or they have skill sets and luck that I'll never possess!

Dian, Robert & Precious (taking a break - see profile)
2000 45' Featherlite 5000, tag, slide, Detroit Series 60
2006 19' Towcorp enclosed trailer w/60" tongue
2004 13' Ultima GTR (9.9 seconds standing quarter mile)

Posted By: tatest on 05/27/09 12:35am

What is your tire pressure, pounds per square inch? The sand you drive on needs that compressive strength, else you will sink in.

People who play in the sand will often reduce tire pressures from 22-35 psi used on the road down to 10-15 psi to stay on top of sand. The tires they use will flatten enough at reduced pressure, to double the contact area.

High pressure tires (80-150 psi) on heavy vehicles will not increase surface area by a factor of 10, if you reduce pressure to the 10-15 psi the sand will support. They'll just flatten so much, then you are on the sand with your rims.

If you really want to go out onto the beach, bring lots of cash for the tow truck, because your emergency road service policy probably doesn't cover recovery from intentional off-road situations.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

Posted By: Deen on 05/27/09 12:46am

SRT wrote:

Don't forget to post your pictures of your DP on the beach.
Buried to the axles in the sand!

Posted By: Hogboss on 05/26/09 09:04pm

Jay58 wrote:

It could be a good thing or a bad thing. No amount of discussion on this web site will change your mind and allow you to do the best thing,,,,,STAY OFF oF the SAND ! ! ! However if your wallet is thick enough you can be rescued by a wrecker or two. No withstanding, as stated earlier in this thread, Damage will be done to the rig due to the fact that when you realize you are stuck the frame will be sitting on the sand. Now, unless the cash in your wallet, along with the avail credit card balance is available, the wrecker will just pull you out, DONT listen while the house is sliding on sand and tearing up the underside.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT,,,,,,Past life as a wrecker driver (Diamond Reo W/750 Holmes) Hope u enjoy the beach

Thanks Jay... The beach was indeed enjoyed! Got back yesterday. Me and another buddy both had our A's down there right on the water. In fact, by the time we left the lake level had risen quite a bit, so good thing we didn't park any closer. We ended up about 10'-15' from the water's edge. Left the boat in for convenience... was a good time had by all. As 'tsisco' mentioned... DILIGENCE was key (and getting there early). We were actually quite impressed w/the DP's lack of sinking too bad in the sand. We tried to pick as firm of a spot as possible. I had the ply wood just in case, but didn't need it. Sorry to those that wanted pictures... the DW forgot the memory card for the camera.

I guess Elephant Butte Lake sand (New Mexico) is better/firmer than that which most seemed to fear. We're heading to Lake Powell (Lone Rock Beach) in July, so this was the warm up. I'll be sure to get pictures then!

Thanks to all that posted 'helpful' hints... much appreciated!

Cheers

Posted By: Vncgrg on 05/26/09 09:23pm

Hogboss
you did good this pass weekend or maybe you were lucky???
I was at the lake (Elephant Butte) in the Desert Cove
Reservation Area. We have been going to Elephant Butte
for years, and have witnessed several motorhomes getting
stuck in the sand. If you ever get stuck in the sand and
need help, look for us in the Desert Cove Area. Check our
signature...

2008 Monaco Camelot
42' "PDQ" Tag
2008 Ram 1500 (HEMI) CC 4X4 / 2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Posted By: tsisco on 05/22/09 01:22pm

I've seen DP's on the beach in Pismo Beach where I wouldn't take a 4WD truck. Diligence is the key word, here. The best advice I can offer is to get to your spot early in the morning before the sand gets all chewed up by other traffic. Plan your departure along the same lines. The sand will get worse and worse as the day progresses because it dries out and gets real loose as other vehicles travel on it. Mornings it is usually in better condition.
Good luck!

Dutch Star DP 4025 w/ 4 slides
370 HP Cummins
6 sp Allison
Spartan chassis
Magellan GPS
2009 Dodge Hemi Ram 4wd toad
2007 HHR toad 4 down

Posted By: TDInewguy on 05/22/09 09:15pm

Might I suggest you look at the super single rear tires? I put them on my motorhome and I would bet that a single WIDE rear tire will do a lot better in sand than the duals will.

The other pluses is that the coach will ride nicer overall and you may get better MPG's.

I put the Michelin XRV Xone tires on my coach - a 445/70/22.5 tire that is 14" wide.

Cheers and happy camping!

SSSStefan

2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD with the Fatboy tires on the back!
2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon - toad!
Aluma 24' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

Posted By: Jay58 on 05/22/09 10:15pm

It could be a good thing or a bad thing. No amount of discussion on this web site will change your mind and allow you to do the best thing,,,,,STAY OFF oF the SAND ! ! ! However if your wallet is thick enough you can be rescued by a wrecker or two. No withstanding, as stated earlier in this thread, Damage will be done to the rig due to the fact that when you realize you are stuck the frame will be sitting on the sand. Now, unless the cash in your wallet, along with the avail credit card balance is available, the wrecker will just pull you out, DONT listen while the house is sliding on sand and tearing up the underside.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT,,,,,,Past life as a wrecker driver (Diamond Reo W/750 Holmes) Hope u enjoy the beach

1996 HR Endeavor 37.5
230 Cumins, 6 spd. Allison
2009 Saturn Vue
Towmaster dolly
Central Florida (East Coast)

Posted By: aviator on 05/21/09 11:23am

File this one with the those where they attempted to fly helicopters in hangers or get across a lake in July with a snowmobile. I guess there is some humor to it.

aviator

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/21/09 09:44am

Hey Ya'll,

I found this 33 ft Winnebago Chieften on craigslist. I think it is perfect for beaches, snow fields, thin ice and many other places without roads. I am going to call it Eagle 5.

Remember, the Schwartz will be with you, always.

Ed

Posted By: jedfoley on 05/21/09 10:21am

Cousin_Eddy wrote:

Hey Ya'll,

I found this 33 ft Winnebago Chieften on craigslist. I think it is perfect for beaches, snow fields, thin ice and many other places without roads. I am going to call it Eagle 5.

Remember, the Schwartz will be with you, always.

Ed

That looks like it could get you a place in the Darwin Awards, Eddy!!!

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 05/21/09 11:00am

Don't worry, Me and Barf will test the life support system before I take it into space.

OK, you can close the thread now.

Posted By: CJTravler on 05/21/09 12:08pm

Just put a sky hook on the roof so the jumbo helicopter can come lift you out.

Posted By: 2ndhom on 05/21/09 02:55pm

To bad the RV Forum threads couldn't run our governmental agencies. We'd be in far better shape!!

Posted By: newxmar on 05/21/09 03:07pm

Don't believe any of these videos show a heavy diesel pusher on/in the sand. Many are class C or lighter gas class A units. Hmmmm?

Posted By: wny_pat on 05/20/09 10:12pm

50pascals wrote:

Red House Lake at Allegany State Park, between Olean and Jamestown. But I don't think they will let you enter the ice races with a motorhome. Don't think they have had them the past couple years, cause the ice has not been thick enough.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: emzee on 05/20/09 10:25pm

another great thread!!!

Posted By: sootslayer on 05/21/09 07:11am

Hey, enjoy your Holiday Weekend. Let us know how it went. Me personally, would not take my coach in sand other than the campground in Myrtle Beach I have been going to for years. The sites are packed from years of use. But to drive directly on the sandy area of a shore, not where I would put my coach. I know what my coach does at a rainy Nascar race or college football game. Good luck. Let us all know how it went.

Hank

Posted By: 69RoadRunner on 05/21/09 07:20am

sootslayer wrote:

Hey, enjoy your Holiday Weekend. Let us know how it went. Me personally, would not take my coach in sand other than the campground in Myrtle Beach I have been going to for years. The sites are packed from years of use. But to drive directly on the sandy area of a shore, not where I would put my coach. I know what my coach does at a rainy Nascar race or college football game. Good luck. Let us all know how it went.

Hank

If you're referring to Ocean Lakes, see the pictures I posted earlier in this thread from Ocean Lakes.

I strongly suggest paved spots.

Print  |  Close