RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Bear spray?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/09 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jlawless wrote:

You ARE allowed to carry bear spray into Canada. You ARE NOT allowed to bring in those little sprays for personal defense against humans.

Well I was told the exact opposite this past Sunday afternoon at the Champlain-Lacolle NY border. You are not allowed bear spray but they will tolerate a small personal container of pepper spray if you declare it. If you do not declare it and they find it, you are subject to a $300 fine for each container and subject to prosecution.

jlawless

Coldfoot, AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read this about travelling around bears by Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Talk to the animals. They will talk back to you. If you don't talk to the animals, they won't talk back to you, and you will fear and when you fear animals you will destroy, and if you destroy the animals, you will destroy yourself.
Chief Dan George

jlawless

Coldfoot, AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taken from the Canadian Border Service Agency Website -

"The following weapons are prohibited from entering Canada:
automatic knives such as switchblades;
centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
gravity knives;
mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
nunchaku sticks;
shuriken (throwing stars);
manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
crossbows designed for one-handed use;
crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
push daggers;
devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
spiked wristbands;
blowguns;
Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
morning stars; and
brass knuckles.
Importing a Weapon into Canada

Obviously, The laws state pepper spray is prohibited ONLY if it is "designed for use on humans." That is why BEAR spray is allowed and people should state they have BEAR SPRAY and NOT Mace. Packerbacker - I believe their was a miscommunication between you and the officer during the search.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear spray is fine, you can buy it at most any hunting and fishing store in Canada but all the comments about not doing anything to attract bears to your campsite and doing your best to stay out of their way is the best prevention. I carry spray in the bush but as a last resort.

Years ago buddy of mine went into a gun dealer in Anchorage wanting a handgun for bear protection. The dealer said, "I can sell you a handgun for $600 or bear spray for $25. I recommend the bear spray because a handgun against a bear is a bad bet and most people who try it don't do too well." He bought the spray.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

PackerBacker

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/09 03:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jlawless wrote:

Obviously, The laws state pepper spray is prohibited ONLY if it is "designed for use on humans." That is why BEAR spray is allowed and people should state they have BEAR SPRAY and NOT Mace. Packerbacker - I believe their was a miscommunication between you and the officer during the search.

That's bizarre. The agent actually made my wife put her purse on the dash of our MH and we had to stand outside in front with another agent where my wife could watch the agent check her purse. I asked the agent outside with us what they are looking for and he stated personal protection items such as pepper spray. This is after he asked if we had any. He then went on to say how some people carry large containers and call it bear spray. That's when he said that nothing is permitted however they 'usually' tolerate small containers if they were declared.

Obviously the agents either made their own interpretation of the regulation unless the rules have changed.

On edit ... I was just wondering if there is an maybe an import issue with sprays. Like many other products perhaps they are legal on both sides of the border but can't be transported across the line !!??

... Eric

* This post was edited 05/27/09 04:10am by PackerBacker *

Craig Nold

Gilliam, Missouri, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/09 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Obviously the agents either made their own interpretation of the regulation unless the rules have changed."
"On edit ... I was just wondering if there is an maybe an import issue with sprays. Like many other products perhaps they are legal on both sides of the border but can't be transported across the line !!??"
... Eric

Eric,
The Canadian Pest Control Act put a $10 limit on the value of pest products that could be imported by an individual, and as we all know, bear-spray costs a lot more than $10. In 1999, you could purchase and use US made bear-spray in Canada but Canadian customs was still stopping it at the border because of the $10 rule. The USDA requested that PMRA, the branch of Health Canada that deals with pesticides, make an exception. PMRA sent the approval request to The Trade Policy and Interpretation Directorate, the agency in Canada that determines what products may or may not be imported. On Feb. 23, 2000, customs officials were told to suspend the $10 price limit. The way the memo was worded, it still gives Canadian customs the final say. You still need a legitimate reason such as backpacking, fishing, or camping in bear country, to bring it across the border.
Craig

* This post was last edited 05/27/09 05:59am by Craig Nold *   View edit history

Craig Nold

Cliff_Michele

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/09 12:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have crossed both ways into and out of Canada on our way north for grizzly bear photography. They only verified that the label indeed said "Bear Repellent".

As for those of you who might doubt the effectiveness of bear spray, last summer I was photographing 3 grizzlies with a friend from Japan. We were using Canon 1DS Mark 3's and 600mm f4.0 lenses, as the bears were about 125 meters away. Well, suddenly one broke away and in seconds shot up the hill and was in our faces. I scooped up my tripod and turned to run then realized it would be futile, so I dropped my equipment (ouch) and turned and pulled out my little Canon Powershot. This first image was taken a split second before Yutaka sprayed the bear. It looks like the bear was some distance away due to the wide angle but Yutaka was about 12 feet from me and the bear was 6 feet in front of him. What saved him was the bear was surprised to see 2 of us, so he hesitated just a split second. The cone of pepper spray completely engulfed the bear's head and he INSTANTLY turned and shot back down the hill. The second image, a second after the first, shows Yutaka turned back to his camera equipment (tripod leg in lower left corner) and the bear gone.

We were shaking horribly for several minutes after that. The spray worked and saved Yutaka's life.

The last picture is what you don't want to see when you round a bend on a salmon stream. Fortunately there were plenty of salmon for all and he ignored us.

"If you think you can when you can't, you just might!"

No RV yet but getting closer! We are too old for this tent stuff!

Cliff and Michele (Humans)
Toby and Bailey (Bichons)

garyindaupeh

Negaunee MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/09 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bear spray is permitted in Canada! I have declared it and taken it into Canada on numerous occassions. It is available through "Cabelas". They have various sizes available and can be purchased with a handy holster. I would recommend the largest size which costs: $50 (US). It is said that a person has a 50% better chance surviving a bear attack by using bear spray than a firearm.
Manufactures URL: http://www.udap.com/
Gary S.

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/09 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grizzily bear poop usually has bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

PackerBacker

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/09 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Craig, it making more sense now. Typical of government directives, keep them guessing.

... Eric

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS