RV.Net Open Roads Forum: When do I need to replace my shocks for 2001 F53 Triton?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> When do I need to replace my shocks for 2001 F53 Triton?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sedonaguy18

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I just purchased a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V on the Ford F53 Chassis with the Triton V10. I really enjoy the extra room with the slide. It has 44K miles and I'm wondering if the shocks need to be replaced. It drives well except I experience what seems to be exceessive side to side motion sometimes. Also when going over some repairs in the road, the bumps really seems to be harsh on the suspension. The final straw was when I came out of a grocery store parking lot back onto the main street and just the bump out of the parking lots caused the motorhome to thrash so hard side to side that it propelled plates out of my upper cabinet. I lost 4 plates.
What is the test for needing to replace shocks? Does anyone know what shocks Ford used on the 2001 chassis? Which replacement shocks do you all recommend for the Ford F53 Chassis? Koni or Bilstein? I know that if this is not a problem with the shocks that adding a bigger sway bar may help. Has anyone added the beefier sway bars made by Helwig? THanks so much for your experience and input. Happy traveling. DH

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/09 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The factory shocks are low quality and some replace them right away. If you still have factory shocks I would say they are way past ready to replace. New heavy duty quality shocks will make a big difference but springs will still deliver a harsh ride.

Getting your coach weighed and adjusting the tire pressure will help as much as anything. Have you checked the tire age? If they are six years old I would replace them. New tires will improve the ride, too.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

New tires will improve the ride, too.
Not necessarily. If the new tires have stiffer sidewals the ride will be worse, if they are the same stiffness then no change, if softer then yes, the ride may be better but the handling worse!!

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/09 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you replace them with wooden tires, the ride will be even harsher.

New Michelin XRV's of the same weight rating will ride better than five year old XRV's. The rubber is thicker and more resilient.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what factory shocks were on the Ford. But from what you are describing, it sounds like shocks should help. My WorkHorse came from the factory with wimpy shocks. They replaced the front shocks, under warranty, with heavy duty Monroe shocks and it made a world of difference.

I don't think the sway bar will help much with the slow speed rocking like pulling out of a parking lot.

2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20 - 2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD Toad

Previous RVs and TOADS
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

deereone

NE

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

If you replace them with wooden tires, the ride will be even harsher.

Wooden tires are ok, but if you use soft maple you will get a better ride than using hard maple.

jhilley

Buxton, ND

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Monroe RV shocks on my 1999 F53 and AirLift air springs. The air springs really improved the side to side motion. I noticed the improvement on the first turn out of a parking lot after puting them on. Also added a Safe-T-Plus and have driven comfortably one handed in heavy winds.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Koni FSD's along with a Supersteer rear track bar on my 2000 chassis. At 12,000 milesthree of the OEM shocks were bad. That fixed the sway and ride. Drives like a big SUV now.
SuperSteer Rear Trac Bar
Highly recommended for a good ride. There is nothing that will fix the parking lot problem. You just have to go slow and try to go across perpendicular to the uneven pavement or speed bumps.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Hurricaner

Hurricane Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford started installing Bilstein shocks on the front in 2003 and put them on both the front and rear in 2004. So a 2001 probably needed shocks in 2001.

Sam

Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2004 34' Damon Challenger 315

sedonaguy18

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/09 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks very much for the comments I have received so far. I put new Michelin tires on this motorhome as soon as I bought it. They are 245 70R 19.5. I weighed my rig after loading up for my 1st trip. The front weighed 5,000 lbs and the rear 13,800 for a total of 18,800 lbs. My front tires are at 90psi and the rear is at a little over 100psi. Should I lower this psi? I see a lot of people like Bilstein shocks and many like the Koni FSD. I think the Koni FSD seem to have a few more supporters. Any comments on this choice? I know the Koni costs a lot more, but it they do the job it would be worth it. Comments seem to indicate that people like the smoother ride on the Koni vs. the Bilstein. Thanks for any additional comments.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> When do I need to replace my shocks for 2001 F53 Triton?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS