|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Unfinished TTs from Factory

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JenInCO

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, I'm a newbie on this forum but not a complete newbie to camping or RVing, and a real "oldie" when it comes to building and construction. My husband and I are looking for a new unfinished travel trailer, preferably telescoping (HiLo, Trailmanor, etc), that we can finish out ourselves. I've googled everything I can think of to find this factory- or dealer-direct, but can't find anything. We want to do our own floorplan but want to start with the shell. Can anyone point me to web or other resources for buying and finishing out TTs?

Thanks!

Sinecure

South of New Orleans

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have read, and have seen on Discovery Channel's "How It's Made", TT's are built from the inside out. Basically, your floor plan is already in place before the walls ever go on. You may be better off buying an enclosed trailer to suit your needs, and building upon it. Wells Cargo is one manufacturer that sells enclosed trailers, even with doors and windows like a TT would have, but I'm sure you have some local dealers as well.

2013 Voltage 3600 EPIC
B&W Companion hitch / TrailAir Tri-Glide pin box

Josie97

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not buy an old Airstream or other aluminum sided trailer. Gut it and redo it.

04 F-150 Super Crew FX4, 5.4L, 3.73
06 Starwood SL 30CKS
Hensley Arrow
DW, DS, DD,
GSD

AIR4US

State Parks

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Josie97 wrote:

Why not buy an old Airstream or other aluminum sided trailer. Gut it and redo it.

you can find a lot of that going on here:
airforums

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Spacecraft RVs. They custom built to your specs.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been some Hi-Lo and TrailManor RV's on various RV salvage sites lately. There was a TrailManor that was only a couple of years old that was cranked down while the water heater was still on, started a fire that mainly caused smoke damage on the interior and some small blistering on the exterior. It went for $500.00!

HERE

Also some of the recently failed RV manufacturers, thru their banks after closing were actioning partly completed RV's. example Weekend Warrior and some truck camper companies.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For TTs with modern sandwich wall construction, the location of all interior fixtures and walls needs to be known before the walls are constructed, so that backing plates and/or metal tubing reinforcements can be put into the wall where anything needs to be attached. To a considerable extent in this construction, fixed furnishings hold the walls on.

Some TTs (and I don't know where telescopers fit in) still have framed walls, with wooden or metal studs. These might be usable as empty shells, but generally they are not built as shells into which furniture is later added.

The two companies to talk to are Trail Manor and HiLo, connecting at a fairly high level, so that some marketing guy doesn't say "no, we only sell through dealers." HiLo is more likely, since it simply telescopes, power driven. Trail Manors open by hand, swinging up and over, so the wings have to be carefully balanced, making DIY construction more of an engineering problem.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

JenInCO

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. I had previously tried contacting HiLo, sent a lengthy inquiry email, but did not receive a response. After the posts on the forum, I contacted SpaceCraftRV, but the high level quote was over $50,000!! I love the idea of the damaged HiLos that we could rebuild, will work on that.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum!

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An email is not the appropriate way to contact any company with a request for something out of the ordinary. More effective is a business letter to the president's office, or a phone call to the president, if you can get through. Best way is a personal appointment.

dfrost

MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/09 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an idea! My Dad built our MH from a school bus. On the inside, it looked like a commercially built RV. He had it ready to travel in 6 weeks.

Bruce & Terry
2003 F250 Lariet CC w/7.3 PSD Fx4 Full gauge pack
2009 Laredo 245RL 5th wheel
1990 27' HiLo (TT with a Vertical Slide)
2 Chi's, Spencer and Lexi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Unfinished TTs from Factory
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS