|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report - Cheaha State Park - 05-22-09

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheaha SP – Delta, AL – 5/22/2009 thru 5/25/2009

• Participants: Ashley, Kim, Dave, Rene K, Brian K, Ethan K, Jennifer R, Emma R, Trevor R, Marley
• Campground Rating: 5 (out of 5)
• Rating reasons / About the campground: 2 1/2 hours from Stockbridge, very hilly state park (not conducive to much bike riding though the actual campground wasn't bad for the kids to ride around), very well stocked camp store, very mountainous, beautiful - breathtaking views, very neat campsites, adequate bathrooms and showers, pool and lake swimming. (This is copied from our first trip here back in 2007 - this trip was much cooler and more humid.)
• Campsite number: 2 (Rob and my camper - Brian's camper on 3)
• About our trip:
Compared our first drive out to Cheaha this was a piece of cake. Took just a little over 2 hours with very minor traffic to contend with. Hoping to get a couple of campsites near each other (instead of waiting for the women to get out of work at 5:30) I towed Rob's TT behind my TC so we could get a jump on the traffic/crowd as soon as the kids got out of school. Unfortunately, we arrived to a very packed campground around 5:45 and were unable to find any sites close to each other. Luckily, the park ranger said "No problem" to our request to camp on the same site (#2 is quite long). So that is exactly what we did (I just had to get out my extra power cord). He also said that it was fine for our friends to camp in the ADA site (#3). So we were all able to get close after all.

NL and Freedom Lite on site 2:
[image]

Brian, Renee and Ethan on site 3:
[image]

The easiest way to describe our trip is with one word...three letters...one syllable...WET! Actually, that is probably a bit of an understatement. Cheaha is the highest point in Alabama (2407 feet). Even when it wasn't raining the trees were sucking all the moisture out of the passing fog (actually clouds) which inevitably rained down on us with a breeze.

Saturday brought more drizzle/rain. We were able to go on a short hike on the ADA boardwalk. Here's a picture of the spectacular view:
[image]

The rain held off long enough to build a fire and cook the potatoes. Kim enjoying the fire (note the new outdoor stereo - project post coming soon...):
[image]

After dinner, the girls spent the night in Rob's TT and the boys spent theirs in Brian's TT. The adults played some cards (here Kim and I are at the table):
[image]

Sunday morning was, well, rainy. Again. Do you see a pattern? After breakfast, Ashley and I watched some Avatar:
[image]

and played some Clue:
[image]

The girls played some DS:
[image]

then played some Candyland:
[image]

After lunch...WAIT...WAIT!!, what is that?!!?!?!?!?? It can't be! BUT IT IS!!!!
SUN!!!:
[image]

The kids took advantage and played in the creek:
[image]

[image]

Is the water cool, Emma?:
[image]

Group photo of kids on a log:
[image]

Of course Mother Nature was just luring us into a false sense of security.

Getting ready to go on an excursion around the park:
[image]

And of course, during the thunderstorm shortly after they (please make note of the word THEY) left on aforementioned excursion:
[image]

[image]

[image]

At least they were able to do a little hiking with a marginally better view:
[image]

The girls soaked on the boardwalk:
[image]

Kim and Renee in front of the breathtaking view (just look at those mountains!):
[image]

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the rabbits...they were everywhere. They were multiplying like, well you know the rest:
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The trip home on Monday was especially easy because my navigator was on the ball. Take no prisoners. Sharp as a tack. Oh RATS!:
[image]

Oh well, thank goodness for the GPS! Happy camping, Dave.

* This post was edited 06/04/09 06:36pm by luv2skyski *

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

RICKIM

The Ocean State

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you all had a great time Dave, even with the weather, but thats what camping is all about......relaxing and spending time with friends and family. Happy Camping, Rick

2008 AF1140, 2.5KW Onan, 300 watts solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT's,
1KW inverter, rear deck, Turbo/Maxx fans, all LED
2008 Dodge Ram Quad, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, EB, 19.5s, Air-Lifts w on board air, Hellwig, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Tork-lifts w fast-guns

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos, look like a fun trip. It looks like you also didn't let the rain keep you cooped up inside entirely, but sure is nice to have the comforts of home in there. BTW, did Colonel Mustard do it in the Billiard Room with the Candlestick?

I also have to say I love the T-shirt slogun (I have multiple personalities and none of them like you)

The outdoor stereo looks nice, but if you post the project you'll get the sound police all over you! [emoticon] Nice idea though. To use my low-level RCA lines coming from the camper stereo, I have to have some kind of amplifier - using a seperate head unti might be a good way around that and make things simple and 12volt. The computer speakers I'm using for now require AC for the amp.

With all those kids running around - I think you all have learned something from the rabbits!

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bad day camping is still better than a good day working, you had family and friends.
Looks like a great time and you'll probably be shot for posting that last photo (it was good to know you).

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great trip report, love seeing reports of kids and friends having a good time. All the kids bring back memories of my younger years camping in our Franklin TC. Don't ever remember having a bad camping trip, not even if the truck broke down, it poured, snowed, or the roads were washed out.

Perfect timing too. My daughter and I hope to spend Saturday night there on our way through Alabama on the way to some wheelin in Hot Springs. Just hope we can get a spot without reservations when we arrive mid-afternoon on a Saturday.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.5 hand calc avg mpg after 25,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep that navigator picture looks V-E-R-Y familiar. Dont know about yours but mine gets a little noisy too. [emoticon] GPS, dont leave home without it. Looks like everyone had a good time.

...Better weather next time [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

bodacious

St. Augustine, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report and beautiful family! My grown kids (ages 31, 38, &41) tell me our camping adventures are some of thier favorite memories. It was mostly tent camping in those days.

Bodacious & Bride
'00 Northern Lite 10-2000 RR
'06 Escalade CK
'03 GMC 3500 Duramax

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking family and friends adventure.

Cal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report - Cheaha State Park - 05-22-09
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS