|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Project - Outside Stereo System

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine has a Class B with a Jensen Outside Stereo System. I thought that would be nice to have so I could crank up my music loud enough for the whole campground to hear. I'm sure everyone would love my music. I'm talking about turning it up to 11!!

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Sorry, sound/noise police, I had to do it. Actually, I do like the idea. The DW always wanted to bring a small radio so this would kill two birds with one stone - radio: check. Not having to remember to bring the radio: Priceless.

Unfortunately, when I started researching them there was only two places online that sold them - both over $250! I didn't need one that bad.

I went to my local RV retailer (McDonough RV Center in McDonough GA (shameless plug)) and explained what I was looking for to the clerk at the parts counter. She looked at me like I had two heads. But the guy in the back room said "I think I know what you're talking about. I think we have a used one that I was getting ready to throw away." He pulled out exactly what I wanted less the stereo. It had the panel, speakers, and wiring. All it was missing was the car stereo. After I asked what he wanted for it he replied "Merry Christmas. Just be sure and come back when you need something else." I said "I'll take Happy Birthday instead because it just so happens to be my birthday!" And it was. The panel was brand new. The holes where the mounting screws still had the foam seal "plugs". It had never been installed. The only thing I can think is that someone had the stereo go bad so they order a new panel and robbed the stereo.

After purchasing a Kenwood ipod compatible car stereo with remote (also found on sale on my birthday) I was in business.

Here’s the panel closed:
[image]

Open:
[image]

Backside:
[image]

I know right where I can put it. Under the forward dinette seat:
[image]

[image]

Now all I had to do was cut a big hole in the side of our camper. Piece of cake. Needs to go right here:
[image]

No problem. Right? Ugh! This is going to be harder that I thought. Just cut the whole! Quit being a WHIMP!! Ok, OK! FINE!
[image]

HOLY MOLY!! WHAT HAVE I DONE??? Breathe, Dave, breathe. Ah good a paper sack, just what I need. Actually it wasn't that bad. I borrowed my father in law's Multimaster. That thing is really amazing. Made very short work of cutting through both panels and the insulation. Here it is:
[image]

Close-up of the blade I used:
[image]

For those Northern Lite owners:
While I was looking for an easy way to run the wire over to the power panel I took down the forward "wall" in the basement. Here's what's behind it:
[image]

Also for the Northern Lite owners:
Here is the thickness of our insulation in the walls:
[image]

I wired in a GFCI outlet and a 12 volt outlet. Here it is installed:
[image]

[image]

Installed under the dinette seat:
[image]

During our latest trip:
[image]

Happy camping, Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

fatmanobx

Russellville, Ar. Home Base

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Birthday, great job!

2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice job, looks great. Maybe I'll have to see if I can find something similar, would be nice to be able to listen to music outside.

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The system looks great!

Counting down until someone starts griping because they think you'll use it in a campground in 5..4..3..2..1

Paradox123

Pine Junction, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't camp next to me!

cooper841

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/09 04:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same setup for radio only i put mines in the basement.Works great and looks like a factory job.nice setup.

Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

Sand Lizard

Long Island New York

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/09 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice!

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/09 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Birthday!!!

How does your FIL keep the tool/case so clean? Were you the first to use it?

As far as an exterior sound system on a camper.......let's see, how does it go? Oh yeah, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". [emoticon]

'16 FORD F250 6.7 373 FX4 Lifted with 35" Toyos Air Bags

'16 Arctic Fox 25R. Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger, four Trojan 6 volts, 450 watts solar.

zonanavystar

Kingsville, tx

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/09 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks nice. What do you have supporting the rear of the stereo? I did a similar thing with a pop-up camper I used to have, except I hard mounted the stereo inside with indoor speakers, and then Marine Grade JBL speakers on the exterior. Worked great and no leaks. Best of all sounded great. I have't got the courage yet to cut the holes for speakers in the side of my truck camper. I was actually worried about cutting into a load bearing member in the walls. Is there a fail safe location in the side of a truck camper where there is no load bearing frame components? Sun Valley Apache 6.9se

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/09 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~DJ~ wrote:

Happy Birthday!!!

How does your FIL keep the tool/case so clean? Were you the first to use it?

As far as an exterior sound system on a camper.......let's see, how does it go? Oh yeah, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". [emoticon]
He had only used it a couple of times before I borrowed it.

zonanavystar wrote:

looks nice. What do you have supporting the rear of the stereo? I did a similar thing with a pop-up camper I used to have, except I hard mounted the stereo inside with indoor speakers, and then Marine Grade JBL speakers on the exterior. Worked great and no leaks. Best of all sounded great. I have't got the courage yet to cut the holes for speakers in the side of my truck camper. I was actually worried about cutting into a load bearing member in the walls. Is there a fail safe location in the side of a truck camper where there is no load bearing frame components? Sun Valley Apache 6.9se
I have a piece of aluminum angle supporting the back of the stereo. I don't know about a Sun Valley but the Northern Lite is built just like a boat hull. It's all one piece before they start cutting out the holes (windows, doors, compartment access, etc.)Here's a few pictures of a Northern Lite during the build:
[image]

[image]

[image]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Project - Outside Stereo System
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS