Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Oven stone

Posted By: SDPat on 06/08/09 05:05pm

Okay..somewhere on this forum I read about using an unglazed ceramic tile or a pizza stone in the bottom of the oven to distribute the heat evenly. This weekend I made it to one of the big box stores and they didn't have unglazed ceramic tile, but they did have unglazed slate tiles. So I bought one....do you think this will work? I'm only going to be out 1.50 if someone comes up with an excellent reason why I shouldn't use it! Also do you temper them in some way? Husband thinks I'm a couple bricks short of a load because I'm trying this...but I'm tired of a charred bottom on everything I put in the oven.

Posted By: Cordelia on 06/08/09 05:11pm

I got mine at home depot tile dept. it has worked well for years.

Gordon
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD L/B E/C D/A 4x4
2003 Eagle Cap 950 Loaded

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 06/08/09 05:13pm

Been using a glazed ceramic tile for about 6 years now.........works great!

The glazed/unglazed thing is a myth.........pure and simple!

We make the best tasting home made buttermilk biscuits and country gravy when we are camping.........no more burned biscuit bottoms!

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Posted By: SWMO on 06/08/09 05:18pm

I don't know why a glazed tile wouldn't work. This tile isn't to cook on, but to distribute heat. Slate should work if it doesn't have to much water in it.

2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Posted By: Mirage3250 on 06/08/09 05:34pm

Tiles are glazed at around 2400 degrees...
unlikely your oven goes that high to melt any glaze....
No experience with slate, but I do use a pizza stone in my oven, and don't leave home without it...

37' Mirage Triple slider, '03 GMC 1 T Ext.Cab Dually, Duramax/Allison GO SOONERS!!

Posted By: summerhouse on 06/08/09 06:21pm

I put in an old tile that I purchased from Pampered Chef ions ago. Bought a new one and just had the old one sitting in a cupboard. It sure does make a difference!

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 'Summerhouse'
Ford 6.8 L Triton V10 5spd

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

Posted By: firecapt1 on 06/08/09 11:54pm

While the unglazed ceramic tile will work, it is easier to find a 12" x 12" unglazed red clay tile. To prep the tile for the hotter oven temps used to bake so that it won't crack, heat it in a 200 degree oven for about 2 hours prior to first use. This process drives out any residual moisture in the tile and prevents cracking in the future (this is a one-time process).

Frank, Martha & Ryan
2007 Ford F-250 SD Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS

Happy Trails to you, until we meet again!

Posted By: arboscamper on 06/09/09 04:42am

I use a small air bake cookie sheet. I put that under my pans I'm using for baking. I make fresh hot buns to go with my pulled pork and they turn out great. I had to buy a package of 3 to get the small air bake cookie sheet, but then just have more for the house.

1993 Chevy K1500 4X4 5.7L V8 141.5 inch Wheelbase & 3.73 Gear Ratio
2004 Skyline Nomad North Trail Model #2480 UVW 4385, GVWR 6500.

Posted By: just_dave on 06/09/09 06:03am

I believe the reason that you don't want a glazed tile is that some glazes contain lead and other items that are not safe for food consumption. Many pottery and ceramic items have labels that state safe for food contact or not safe for food contact. I'd be concerned gasses that are released when heating up glazed items in an oven. - Dave

2001 2500HD 6.0L 4.10 4x4
1999 Jayco Eagle 285BHS 5er Thank you Lord!
Draw-Tite 16K with Kwik-Slide
Prodigy
Bilsteins (on the truck)
Monroes (on the 5er)
Perception Swifty 9.5 Kayaks
Pelican Break Kayak
Swagman XTC-4 Bike Carrier

Posted By: Poppy & Nana on 06/08/09 07:11pm

do you place this on the very bottom of the oven - or on a rack? I placed mine on the bottom and it seemed to burn the stone (Pampered Chief)........

Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

Posted By: LEN Retired on 06/08/09 06:42pm

summerhouse wrote:

I put in an old tile that I purchased from Pampered Chef ions ago. Bought a new one and just had the old one sitting in a cupboard. It sure does make a difference!

Do you use a big tile or small ones to fill the entire oven shelf or doesnt matter? Bill

06 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 2007 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 32SKT,3 slide 5th wheel " SEMPER FIDELIS "
Jasmine, 2006-2013 RIP.

Posted By: Mirage3250 on 06/08/09 06:59pm

You want to cover a fair amount of the bottom of the oven, but not the whole thing. The idea is to get the heat moving up the sides, across the top and down the middle so that the intense heat isn't directly under what you are baking. My pizza stone covers the bottom to about an 1" or1 1/2" from sides and front, and back, and, of course it's round so there is openings in each corner.

Posted By: LEN Retired on 06/08/09 07:02pm

thanks.

Posted By: Mirage3250 on 06/08/09 07:45pm

I put mine on the bottom plate that covers the burner.
Not sure what kind of stone the pampered chef supplies or if it getting burned would be a problem, but suspect it wouldn't be.

Posted By: Leo Benson on 06/13/09 07:35pm

if you are looking to use a tile not only to distribute heat, but to bake artisan bread directly on, unglazed works better because it draws moisture out of the ecurst and gives you a nice crust texture.
I have used leftover cramic tile before, it is thinner than an oven stone, and they did eventually crack.

Posted By: PRT on 06/13/09 07:02pm

I use a cookie sheet myself and it's fine. I brought my Pampered Chef pizza stone once and didn't love the result.

Pat
May the road rise with you, the wind be always at your back.

Posted By: Cruzette on 06/12/09 06:54pm

IMHO - I'd be concerned about food saftey from impurities and toxins in just any ole ceramic tile, even if your food never touches it. I think if you want to use a stone, a pizza stone would be a better solution, at least you'd know it's food safe.

An air bake cookie sheet under whatever vessel you have cooking/baking in your RV oven will also keep things from burning too. You don't have to have a stone. They weigh less too and don't break

It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

Posted By: MCDDY on 06/12/09 01:05pm

We use ours constantly. Have a large one in the convection/microwave in the MH to do biscuits on convection. Have a large and small rectangular one at home. The little one is great for 2 biscuits. I guess they would work well in the gas ovens on RV's. The ones we had sure left a lot to be desired when baking.

Dave

GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

Posted By: SDPat on 06/10/09 07:15pm

Well...I tried tempering my slate tile. Put it in the oven in the house and brought the temp up to 200 for about a half hour...then raised it 50 degrees every half hour until I was to 400. The stone split in half horizontally. I now have two stones that are about 1/4 inch thick....so much for that idea. Guess I'll just break down and buy a smaller pizza stone that will fit in the oven of the 5er.

Posted By: SWMO on 06/10/09 07:23pm

SDPat wrote:

Well...I tried tempering my slate tile. Put it in the oven in the house and brought the temp up to 200 for about a half hour...then raised it 50 degrees every half hour until I was to 400. The stone split in half horizontally. I now have two stones that are about 1/4 inch thick....so much for that idea. Guess I'll just break down and buy a smaller pizza stone that will fit in the oven of the 5er.

The tile we put in our oven broke when the burner cover warped suddenly from the heat. It doesn't keep the tile from displacing the heat. The cover still warps, but now the tile adjusts automatically.

Posted By: John&Joey on 06/10/09 07:31pm

Went to home depot and bought a 14 x 14 tile which they cut down to fit for free. Works great.

Posted By: bfmower on 06/10/09 09:49am

Bed Bath and Beyond carries round stones. Two different sizes. Absolutly great for biscuits.

Print  |  Close