|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 225/75/R16 Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Arnold Wagaman

KENAI, ALASKA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/09 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My tires are weather cracked so I must buy new tires. The two local tire dealers recommend Nokian Vatiivan or Toyo tires. I can get Michelin LTX M/S at Sams Club but that is a 360 mile round trip. I do spend most of my time RVing in the southern states but leave Alaska in Oct.,return in March and drive through as much as 2000 miles of snow. I put about 10,000 miles on the coach a year. What do you suggest for tires?

32G MINNIE, TOW 2007 FORD FOCUS
Heaven!, My last stop.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/09 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without meeting you, I can say you're one of the few. The few who might actually wear their tires out before they age out.
You also drive long distances. For that reason, I'd say Shop Carefully. I searched on "steel tire" and got into several tire threads here on RV.net.
This link: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22456672/gotomsg/22458277.cfm#22458277
is to one of those. It describes the difference between a Michelin LTX and Michelin XPS. Also names a few other all-steel tires. Since your coach is a 32-footer, and you run long and far, I'd suggest you find an all-steel tire.
The LTX works for many, but they're commonly used on SUVs. SUVs aren't in the same tire requirement class as an RV at max GVW on an E450.
EDIT: Sam's Club on Old Seward in Anchorage? I looked at 16" tires there and there were a number of choices. I don't remember how many were 225/75 but I wonder if one of the all-steel tires noted in thread above were there. I just searched on that store and there were 16 tires in 275/75R16. A good number were LT275/75R16E, but the construction details weren't shown. And you're right, the LTX were there. What's odd is we do a search by store and then some come up Special Order anyhow. At home in FL, tires that show Special Order on the web are in stock at the Club. Go Figure!

* This post was edited 06/09/09 10:23am by j-d *

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/09 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also highly recommend only an all-steel tire.

For your driving, the Michelin XPS Rib is the obvious choice. Goodear Unisteel is another good choice.

Stay away from anything not all-steel as they are not very good when loaded up to max weight, as is very likely the case with you 32' MH. In fact, I would not be surprised in the least to find you were overweight on one or more wheels.

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

MIA

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/09 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The XPS is a highway tire and I wouldn't recommend it for driving in snow--especially 2000 miles of it! Also, as many are aware, the XPS Rib is hard to come by these days so I doubt that you could get one anytime soon.

If it were me, and you are OK shopping at Sams Club, I would get the Goodyear Silent Armor tire for all weather driving.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

I bought a set for my 3/4 ton pickup and they ride quiet.

2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Mid Bath

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/09 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For snow, I highly recomend TOYO M55 tires. They are the best tire I've ever used. I'm not running them right now, because I did take fuel economy penalty, but they will go back on in November.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

btpunky

Northern lower michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/09 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

had mich tires twoand ahalf years weather check so bad replaced 4of6 firestone was my choice good ride , great tration and school buses use them in michigan

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/09 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what its worth .. when I replaced my Class C tires I went with Toyo. I read all the postings and made a number of phone calls to "tire people" who I trust. It's clear that on this forum there are plenty of XPS Rib promoters but I would suggest you choose your tires based on your particular rig, your location, how many miles your put on the rig each yr, and where you camp. In my case XPS ribs didn't make much sense.

Kevin

Arnold Wagaman

KENAI, ALASKA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/09 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the posts, I was going with the Mithelin XPS RIB but changed to the new Goodyear G947 RSS Armor Max. 225 75 16 Goodyear as yet only list it in the truck tires. I go through to much bad weather for the ribs. Arnold Wagaman

Tonijim

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're replacing our 6 Michelin LT 225/75 R16 E's (built 31/02 with about 37,000 miles on them) with Goodyear Wrangler 10 plys. The Goodyears are built in the U.S. we are told, and I have some concerns about China-built tires. The Michelins were trouble-free, even after a round trip to Alaska, but I felt we were pushing our luck with 7 year-old tires just beginning to show some cracks.

Jim

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At what point do you guys replace the SPARE? We used a friend's RV for a year then bought it from them. I think it was our firt trip as owners that the left rear outer blew and tore out the fender well trim. I put the spare on, drove it to work, made a few calls, and after work bought Seven new tires. I didn't want to have a flat 100 miles from someplace and find I only had a 50-mile spare.
I think an unused spare deteriorates about as much as a tire in service. Maybe worse since it never gets flexed. Once I found out Ford doesn't suggest rotating the rear tires, I found it very easy to rotate the spare to LF, the LF to RF and RF back to spare. I tried to do this twice a year.
But now, we have six tires alike. Rear 2 years old, front 1 year old, but Spare 6 years old and different.
So at the moment it's "What now, Coach?" I think I'll leave everything in place till one of them fails then hopefully buy a pair matching the other five and replace the spare with one of the matching tires.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 225/75/R16 Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS