|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Ford F-53 Fuel Pump

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jagtech wrote:

Jim@HiTek wrote:

Considering you could just replace it with an external pump if ever necessary, I'm thinking you went to a lot of trouble. JMO

I read that you can do this with the older carbureted models, but will this work with FI, requiring a high pressure pump? What if the filter on the internal pump is blocked and can't draw gas through it? Would it be possible to replace the in-tank pump with a pick-up tube only, and use an external high pressure pump? (Actually, it wasn't much trouble to cut the hatch, sure gives good access to the OEM pump.)

Depends on how it fails also, on our 90 Airex we had with a carb'd 460 the pump wasn't the actual problem! The tube broke off just belown the flange and the pump was merrily circling the tank when the key was turned on!

Other possible no joy with injected is the pump not only pumps at a high pressure but will only allow fuel through it if running, so pump downstream won't get any fuel or at least not enough to build presse for the injectors.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/09 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hikerdogs wrote:

Ford made 2 different styles of electric in tank electric fuel pumps. The earlier version used on the late model 460 cu in engines and the early 6.8 liter V10’s was a diaphragm style pimp. Unfortunately there were a considerable number of failures. The later turbine style pumps were introduced around 200-2001. They are far more dependable in that they have an extremely low failure rate.

Are you sure about this?..............the pump that came out of my '96 460 was the turbine style, so was the one that came out of my buddies '95........and the pump I replaced it with was the turbine style.........the only difference was the type of rubber the turbine was made out of.........when I disassembled the pump the turbine material was soft and pliable........my guess as to what happened was over the years the rubber turbine was attacked by the gasoline making it too soft and pliable........

I think they were only using a diaphragm pump back in the carburated days.....as a turbine style is able to make more pressure required by F.I. engines.......

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So should I be looking for a newer (say 2000+) style pump to replace my '97? It is definitely F.I. Would it be plug-and-play with no modification? Seems like the newer ones have much lower failure rates.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The turbine style pump may have been installed as early as 1995 in some model cars and trucks. There have been several posts on this forum confirming the use of the diaphram pump in the F53 chassis as late as 1998. I'm sure like every other improvement they started with the most popular models and slowly introduced it through the entire fleet.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to buy a new pump, and just keep it as a spare, so I don't have my original one in hand to compare. So I don't want to drop $$$ and find out "down the road" that its the wrong one, when I need it the most! I'm still not sure which pump to ask for, but I'm assuming it should be a turbine style?
Anyone know if the replacement pumps are any better than the OEM, or should I be asking for a newer version, perhaps a 2000-200?
Are they all interchangeable, assuming F.I. application?

NHgrizzly

Litchfield, NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Swap it with the proper model. Its 12 years old, a new one should give you another 10+, why take chances. If you have a 97 F53 chassis then it will use the same pump module I installed, which is an AIRTEX E2063M. The fuel pumps are sold as the complete assembly, a module or just the pump. The module is a plastic housing about the size of a beer can and contains a new pump, filter and gasket for the tank. Everything you need and is easily swapped out. If you are concerned about the pump then find one on the internet for cheap and change it out when you are not pressed for time.
Here is a link to my pictures including some of the fuel pump module.Motorhome
Here is a link to the Airtex catalog page.Airtex fuel pumps

Steve
1996 Damon Challenger 313
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2006 Cadillac STS-4

Jerry B

Lake of the Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/09 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

96Bounder30E wrote:

Hikerdogs wrote:

Ford made 2 different styles of electric in tank electric fuel pumps. The earlier version used on the late model 460 cu in engines and the early 6.8 liter V10’s was a diaphragm style pimp. Unfortunately there were a considerable number of failures. The later turbine style pumps were introduced around 200-2001. They are far more dependable in that they have an extremely low failure rate.

Are you sure about this?..............the pump that came out of my '96 460 was the turbine style, so was the one that came out of my buddies '95........and the pump I replaced it with was the turbine style.........the only difference was the type of rubber the turbine was made out of.........when I disassembled the pump the turbine material was soft and pliable........my guess as to what happened was over the years the rubber turbine was attacked by the gasoline making it too soft and pliable........

I think they were only using a diaphragm pump back in the carburated days.....as a turbine style is able to make more pressure required by F.I. engines.......

My 96 OEM pump was a turbine pump like the replacement. This is the first I have heard of a diaphram pump installed in the gas tank.

Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/09 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NHgrizzly wrote:

Here is a link to my pictures including some of the fuel pump module.Motorhome
Here is a link to the Airtex catalog page.Airtex fuel pumps

Thanks for the great info, Steve! Looking at your pump pictures though, brought something to mind. As an emergency "get me home" tactic, I think it might make sense to tap an external pump into the generator line, rather than taking the risk that the sock filter on the pickup is plugged up, preventing the external pump from pulling through the failed pump. You'd have to be mindful of the smaller tank capacity of course, but that should be easily managed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/09 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jagtech wrote:

I want to buy a new pump, and just keep it as a spare, so I don't have my original one in hand to compare. So I don't want to drop $$$ and find out "down the road" that its the wrong one, when I need it the most! I'm still not sure which pump to ask for, but I'm assuming it should be a turbine style?
Anyone know if the replacement pumps are any better than the OEM, or should I be asking for a newer version, perhaps a 2000-200?
Are they all interchangeable, assuming F.I. application?

I ran into a fellow RV'er who had a problem with his fuel pump a few years before, replaced it and bought a spare. Three years later he had the misfortune to need another one, had the spare installed and off he went. 500 miles later the spare failed and plugged up with it's own deteriorating rubber components.

The shop that replaced it told him that a spare should be kept in a bath of fuel or the seals will dry out, break up and ruin itself.

The lesson to me was 'don't try to carry a spare fuel pump'.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

RLS7201

Very Very

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/09 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hikerdogs wrote:

The turbine style pump may have been installed as early as 1995 in some model cars and trucks. There have been several posts on this forum confirming the use of the diaphram pump in the F53 chassis as late as 1998. I'm sure like every other improvement they started with the most popular models and slowly introduced it through the entire fleet.

All those post confirming the use of diaphram pumps on F53s are all WRONG. It's obvious that you have no first hand information or you wouldn't be spreading this misinformation. I have been into F53 fuel tants as far back as 1991 models. There are were NO diaphram fuel pumps installed on F53 chassis. Also, there were no carburated F53s so mechanical diaphram fuel pumps were never used either.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Ford F-53 Fuel Pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS