|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter trip report:He shoots, it's off the rim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well no, it's not about basketball, I don't watch sports. Actually, that's not true. After buying a large HDTV 2 years ago I've become a football fan. Those eye-popping colors from the fans, the players uniforms, and of course the cheerleaders look great. In fact one little blond cheerleader has caught my eye for the last 2 years. I finally had to tell my wife to put up her pompoms though so I could watch the Super Bowl as the Arizona Cardinals were playing! But I digress. It's about shooting some pictures, off the Rim.
[image]

The Mogollon Rim in Arizona. Pronounced "Muggy-own" I've always wondered why it isn't spelled that way. But then this is Arizona, where Fish & Game is...Game & Fish. And the DMV is...MVD. And we don't have daylight savings either, which I like. The Rim is an approximately 300 mile long escarpment that dishes up some great views as well as killer winds. In fact it was so windy we couldn't hardly use the canoe and we've now decided an electric motor in needed. I'm just not sure how I'll steer, hold a beer and hold the fishing rod all at once. And if I chew gum at the same time I'll be in way over my head.

How windy was it? Well it was so windy at night it made my Feng-Sway and the cradle rock. My comb-over? It was over, somewhere over New Mexico. I was glad I had it cut last week or it might have made it as far as the Rockies. And when I went to the front of the truck to see a man about a dog, within 15 minutes the local radio was reporting a splatter of "off-colored" rain drops in Heber, a little town about 14 miles away. So lets see, 15 times 14 divided by the square root of pi and multiplied by the coefficient of molecular friction and I get 56 mph winds. They don't DNA raindrops do they?

Here's a livingrim view of the deck. The bathrim and bedrim all have the same view. And yes, my wife drinks sasparilla. Drinks it out of a dirty glass for a little extra kick.
[image]

[image]

After a fire about 15 years ago, new growth is coming back with it's own special green.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Yes Dear, be right there for the coffee. Thank you. Or is this an evening shot and that's my hot toddy? I'm so confused...
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Sorry about all the truck pictures, I'm feeling kind of lost without the Farctics around, and I'm not quite sure how to act, what to take pictures of...or how to do a trip report. The pictures aren't all that, and I didn't quite get a picture of the wind, or the comb-over. Maybe next time.

Thanks for reading,

Dave Rogers

* This post was last edited 06/14/09 01:16pm by whazoo *   View edit history

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow that looks like a wonderful place to visit. Great pictures, like you always post.

But about the canoe you won't need an electric motor if you only use it for protecting the top of your camper.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

middlecalf

Sweet, ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, that's a canoe, I thought it was a weather-vane to keep the truck going straight and the combover in place.

lance815

phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool pics. I like that area. No fish released to the grease?

This is what i use when I have to fish, steer, and drink ...

http://www.baronbob.com/drinking-beer-helmet.htm

Hope that helps.

* This post was edited 06/14/09 11:16am by lance815 *

Dshultz50

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the pics!!! YOU are funny! LOL

I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.

Dee & Bob
1990 Fleetwood 5er
2 cats - Donner and Dasher
12 grandkids

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo wrote:

Sorry about all the truck pictures, I'm feeling kind of lost without the Farctics around, and I'm not quite sure how to act, what to take pictures of...or how to do a trip report. The pictures aren't all that, and I didn't quite get a picture of the wind, or the comb-over. Maybe next time.

Don't worry Whazoo, I know you'll get your groove back - besides the pics are great. Reminds me of Milk Ranch Point north of Strawberry. I have MANY of my truck that I like just fine.... reminds of what a lucky guy I am. And I seem to remember some earlier posts you did without Farctic that were pretty impressive to say the least.

Sound to me like you need another trip into the Great Unknown See you there? [emoticon]

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lance815 wrote:

Cool pics. I like that area. No fish released to the grease?

This is what i use when I have to fish, steer, and drink ...

http://www.baronbob.com/drinking-beer-helmet.htm

Hope that helps.

Well, I do like to catch and release...release into a pan with hot oil, I actually gave away the fish I caught this time. I no longer have fun catching stocked trout as there is no fight or even life left when caught with a barbless hook. One trout I didn't even know was on until I reeled in. I may go to really big hooks so maybe only big fish can swallow. Will they figure it out though? And thanks for the helmet, that works for me haha.

Yeah Seldom, the Great Unknown is always on my mind. However come summer temps, we head for greener and cooler climes. I just don't know how to take pictures of trees. Catch ya in the Outback maybe in the fall...

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must know a little birdie that tells you where to camp. Agreed, those are fine looking truck pictures. Love what you've done with the livingrim. The trees are a nice touch. Do you still take your striped squirrel chasing dog with you?

Jeff

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave, once again, thanks for the great photos. Absolutely spectacular! Happy camping, Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/09 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What lovely pictures..

It is nice to see a few people still really camp!!!

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter trip report:He shoots, it's off the rim
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS